Top 100 Guitarists according to Rolling Stone

Since were kinda leaning towards Jimi, and mentioned SRV...Early Frank Marino should not be overlooked. Take a listen to the Maxoom or Strange Universe Lp's, and you can see he ain't no slouch either.
Funny, when we think of the current fret board speed kings, guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, we seem to forget about the pioneers like Al Di Meola.
If you want to hear some really interesting old Eric Johnson stuff, see if you can dig up an album/band called "Electromagnets" one of his early bands. Some very interesting time signatures and playing.

Paul

Top 100

Anybody remember Larry Carlton? If for nothing else but his solo on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemange"

Originally posted by pistonslap
Maybe Lifeson isn't as underrated as he is overshadowed by his bandmates. The fact that anyone pays him any attention is a testament to his abilities considering the talent of Peart and Lee.
you got that right, they are pretty amazing.:D

Originally posted by Sleeper
If you want to hear some really interesting old Eric Johnson stuff, see if you can dig up an album/band called "Electromagnets" one of his early bands. Some very interesting time signatures and playing.

Paul

Eric Johnson is one of my personal top 10 picks. Very original style and sound.

He is from Austin Texas. He and SRV came up together in Austin. they would battle it out down on 6th street back in the day. They wuold play clubs right next to each other. It was a contest to see who could pull more people into which venue. Big rivals, but much respect between those two guys.

You mentioned Al Di Meola- he partnered with John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia for an acoustic set called "Friday Night in San Francisco" around 84-85. 3 great players at work. Oh yeah, why was Nigel Tufnel omitted?

I* may only be 33, but when I heard this list I knew 2 guys who had to be in the top 5, and that was Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. I was shocked to see him at 70. Kurt Freakin Cobain??? Jack From the white stripes?, Listen, I like the white stripes and all, but his guitar playing is nothing special. Cobain that much better than E V Halen?? Those 2 should be switched around. Geez, Eddie defined the sound of the guitar in the 80's.

Oh yeah, a nearly seven year old thread! Great way to bring back the original members! :D

I am surprised I did not see Rick Emmit from Triumph. And no MSG:eek:
Gary Richrath from Reo is better than a lot of the names on that list. My buddy Ron beats most of the nanes on that list . I guess the list keeps going now. we should get the lastest list and see who they think is the best. Well here it is.
Hendrix
2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3. B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan Who is the better concert band - The Stones or U2 ?
8 Ry Cooder Click to answer
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townsend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
87 Joan Jett
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

the names slip by me but how about the pickers from Savoy Brown, and TR parts, I caught that sarcasm later in fact just now, so it its been awile that I have looked at the list, and did I miss the Nuge's name!!!! not being on there as well, say it ain't so Joe.

Ron

DAMIT! Still didn't make the list.....I was #101.:tongue: Everytime, man!

Bruce '87 Grand National

these top 100 list are always controversial
I noticed a few were missing, you might recognize these gifted talents that should have had an honorable mention:

Skwisgaar Skwigelf ( Dethklok )
Nigel Tufnel ( Spinal Tap )
Janice ( Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem ) google this one

:D

ok seriously

RUSH fans may be interested in checking out the recent documentary

Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage
Rush Beyond The Lighted Stage - bonus
Alex inspired many on the RS top100 list
fact : top total album sales:
#1 Beatles
2 Stones
3 RUSH

edit - another link to the documentary

From the list, two old friends of mine from the past: the late Roy Buchanan, and the late Danny Gatton.

With Gatton, I would turn my back to him when practicing with him, and play any lead lick I could think of. Within seconds, Danny replicated my lines exactly, not even seeing my fingering on the fretboard. I must have done this 20 times one night, trying to trip him up. He always nailed it.....just by sound. That guy could play ANYTHING! It was an honor to have him as a buddy. We both loved old cars. I sat in with him at times at the Crossroads in Bladensburg, Md.

He gave me the gold pick-up covers off his '71 Gibson Les Paul Custom, as he wanted the coils exposed on his pickups, thinking it would give a different tone. I put those covers on my '68 Gibson ES355STSV, and they are still on there.

Buchanan was a master with the Telecaster also. A little different from Gatton, but a real master. And he drank a lot. I mean a lot.

Sorrowfully, incredibly, they both commited suicide, with Roy doing it in the jail only 1/4 mile from my home. I still don't know why. If you want to know about these incredible guitar players, enter their name in Google. You'll see what I'm talking about.

They belong on that list. Strangely, I'm still angry at both for what they did to themselves. I would give a lot to have even 1/4th the talent they had, and I was considered a real hot guitar player. Imagine if I had their talent! I'd be behind a recording studio instead of a computer screen. But it was an honor to grow up with these guys. Man, you should have heard the stuff they could do with a guitar. Your jaw would tire out from dropping all night. I know mine did.

Bruce '87 Grand National
[/B]

Jimi Hendrix probably influenced 90% of the rest of the guys on that list, but I don't think that he was an amazingly good guitar player in comparsion to the others on the list.

Actually, I believe he's incredibly overrated, but that's just me. Anybody can get high and play a completely ****ty rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

Tom Morello > *

I saw Jimi play on several occasions and he was f'n incredible!!!

If you want to hear some outstanding guitar playin get the DVD Jeff Beck at Ronny Scotts!!! He does a couple of songs with Eric Clapton that are awesome..............

I do agree with you....ol' Hendrix was just terrific, a natural. I was amazed when I got a video of him sitting on a stool in a room playing an acoustic guitar....amazed because he then switched from a left handed strung guitar to a right hand strung guitar and played it RIGHT HANDED!!!! GEEEZ!!! Talk about ambidextrious!!!! I was floored.

Actually, the Hendrix Star Spangled Banner version is kinda old now....I can play it note for note, no big deal, and not to impress anyone.....it's all been done by the master himself.....so I don't play it hardly at all anymore.....it was neat in the beginning, but it's not anymore.

There are so many excellent guitar players out there that's it's scary. And you seeing Hendrix play, man, that's really neat. You are so lucky.

Way back in '66 we were scheduled to appear on a local TV dance show, similar to American Bandstand.....when we arrived to set up, all the technicians were all hyped up, excited and talking so much about the previous guy who played there just the day before.....some black guy, left handed, with a red Gibson guitar, playing it with his teeth, tongue, behind his back, between his legs, feedback all over the place......we were just stunned to hear this.....I went into the control room to work our set list with the techician and found out the name of this black guy who blew this studio through the roof......on a piece of paper of schedules.....the name was Jimi Hendrix!!!!! Before that no one around here has ever heard of him....I found out it was a tune up performance before he went to some big show to appear for the first time......can you believe we missed meeting a legend by one day????!!?!?!? Sigh...:(My luck has always been like this..

Bruce '87 Grand National