Torque converter

turboman38

It costs money to go fast
I'm new to list but have owned a turbo regal for about 10 years. I recently had my motor redone and would like to know what torque converter to use. Here is my combo:
TE60 - .63 housing
50 lb MSD injectors
206/206 Cam
TH downpipe
3.73 rearend
stock intercooler and heads but would like to upgrade in the next 2 years

This will be mostly street car but I would like to get into the 11s as far as possible; Maybe 10s when the heads and intercooler are done.

I know you get what you pay for but since it's not going to be raced that much I don't want to spend a ton of money on a top of the line converter. Here is what I have found so far:

Modified stock converter - $200 - Will this work? (2800 stall)
Orange Stripe from GSCA - $319 - (3000 - 3500 stall)
TCI from Summit Racing - $309 - (3000 - 3500 stall)

I been told to go with an Art Carr but it's $700

Any help is greatly apprecitated

Thanks
Jim

Hey!

I see that you finally found your way onto the board! :D

Come on guys! Doesn't anyone have any info for Jim??

Actualy I asked a question a few months ago that led to answering your question. The consensus was that a 2800 stall (which is what I have ) will cause lag with the TE-60. They suggested at least a 3200 stall. I don't know how to do a link to the topic so you'll have to do a search with my user name in the general tech section and use turbo as the key word to narrow down the list a little. The name of the topic is TE-44 or TE-60.

Thanks for the input guys. Mark thanks for getting the archive post for me. Sounds like my problem is the torque converter. I can rule out the modified stock 12 inch with the 2800 stall. Anybody know who sells a 3000 to 3500 stall converter for a reasonable price? Summit has the TCI but has anybody ever tried one of these? The GSCA has the orange strip but again has anybody used it? I have some extra money at this time so I'd like to make a decsion.

Thanks again
Jim

Originally posted by turboman38
Thanks for the input guys. Mark thanks for getting the archive post for me. Sounds like my problem is the torque converter. I can rule out the modified stock 12 inch with the 2800 stall. Anybody know who sells a 3000 to 3500 stall converter for a reasonable price? Summit has the TCI but has anybody ever tried one of these? The GSCA has the orange strip but again has anybody used it? I have some extra money at this time so I'd like to make a decsion.

Thanks again
Jim

WWW.PTSNCTB.COM click converters

Bruce
WE4

convertors

i just bought a 9 inch from precision industries, you can get any stall from 2800 to 4000 rpm, it is a multi-disc (5) or (3). when the convertor locks up, it feels like your shifting into another gear, The throttle response is incredibe compared to a twelve inch converter. If you have any turbo lag now, it will be gone with this converter. My tranny friend has a GN with it in now. He is running a te-60, with ported and polished heads and a good cam. I've road in the car and it spools up instantly. He has made several 10 second passes so far! The other great thing is that the 9 inch multiplies your torque a lot more than a 12 inch. The only down fall is the price. But the convertor has a lifetime gaurantee, no ?'s asked. They don't care how much power you put to it. If you break it, you sent the old one in and you get a new one. If your interesed you can go to www.johnsperformance.com get his phone # and call him. He is also running one and can get one for you.

You must remember when choosing a converter. The effeciency for a given diameter converte in relation to its stall. Ie Positive fin angle = effecient negative = poor

A stock 12" D5 is built on a negative fin angle, gives you stall but the bad way. GM had no option. So when you buy a blue red orange whatever stripe converter, they are just bending the fins even more negative, more stall, really sloppy, and extremely ineffecient. Effecient stall for a given diameter

12" 1400-1800
11" 2000-2200
10" 2400-2600
9" 3000-3500

All these figures depend on power oviously, but you always want a converter which has a positive fin angle, this is where the effeciency lies

I have used Art Carr and Coan converters in race cars, and have had very good results. It is always better to have a custom converter built to the specs of the car. If you spend thousands on the engine, and only 2 to 300 on the converter, well you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't even know at that.

Back