toulene question

Be careful when buying these chemicals at your local hardware store. Some of it can be what is called 're-claimed' product. :(
That is not good depending on who, what where and how it was re-claimed. What you want is called virgin xylol / xylene.
The cost up here in Canada is within 10% of pump gas when bought in 45 gal / 255 L drums. Our gas prices are much higher than in the USA but no matter which way you slice it, Xylene provides great bang for the buck. I have been using it for 10+ years. The only down side is that it dries out rubber very quickly so if you use it on a regular basis you will be replacing your rubber fuel lines more frequently.

BTW the best kick in the pants I have ever used as an additive was MTBE. :D It leaves Xylene sitting in the dust but unfortunately it is not easily available, it is much more expensive and VERY volatile. :eek: The vapors can give you a buzz from 20ft away! :rolleyes:

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

i bought xylene from home depot once.....It had stuff floating around at the bottom, looked kinda like mold thats in spoiled apple juice. Next time i use it i am going to use a fine mesh strainer. It is barely noticeable, but u see it better in a clear cup.

Re: Re: Good Advice

Originally posted by b4black

Paul, the Toluene/Xylene is for upping the octane and supressing detonation. It in itself does not produce more power.

I don't see any advanatge to running Xylene on a NA motor unless you advance the timing dramatically. If it's not knocking, you don't need higher octane. Run 93 premium fuel before trying Tolune/Xylene.

I know, I just wanted to use it if I ever take my car to the track once I get a V8 in it.

I'd like to use that better than the 104 octane boost stuff you can buy at the auto houses.

BTW: I say it TOL-YOU-EEN, and i'm from California, maybe its that Arkansas country boy in me!

you need not put hte hole 5 gallons in at once
i just tried it for the first time (poured it in last night)
19.00 full tank of 93
17.00 2 gallons of xylene
36.00 for a tank
but what a diffference
i used to get detonation at 18psi with egts in the 1600s
now 22 psi not detonation 1510 on the egt all the way into 4th gear with my o2s in the 780s
OJP

dconnor, when you mix the 9 gallon batch you only use 2oz. of the marvel mystery oil? or is it 2oz. for the 4 gallon mix?

I use ~2oz per 12 gallon batch, 3 gallons xylene & 9 gallons of pump gas ( 1:3 ratio. ) If you want to mix up smaller batches an easy formula to use is 2 tablespoons of MMO per "unit" of homebrew (unit =1gallon xylene, 3 gallons pump gas.) Heh, of course a tblsp can be kinda tricky to measure if you try to mix up your homebrew directly into the car, may wanna pre-mix in a 5 gallon gas can. :)

Doug C.

What if I use 91 octane?

Since here in CA, you can only get 91 at the pump, what if I mixed 9 gallons of 91, and 3 of xylene, whats the octane rating then?

Paul, here is how to figure it out:

91 octane x 9 gallons = 819
117 octane x 3 gallons=351

351 + 819 = 1170

1170 divided by 12 gallons = 97.5 octane