"Toy" 3.8 > Corvair update

jaymaechtlen

Working on project car, not turboed yet. Was a Corvair, previous owner gave it major facelift with fiberglass skin (Porsche nose, rest of skin is ?) and 327 Chev. It had problems, sat for many years. I am giving it the 3.8 and trans from an '86 Olds. (FWD package, now sitting midships, Fiero style)
Low bucks diy project. Rough, running, but not yet on street.
Once I've shaken it down and put some test miles on it, I'll hop it up.
For a start, I do have an old T-type turbo. The car is so light (fiberglass, no side windows, etc) it should run pretty well.
Later, maybe a Series II motor with bigger turbo.
Right now, lots still to do!

Why go turbo when you can do the supercharger? I agree the turbo would be cool but you can get the supercharged engine complete and make it a lot easier. Go to the hybred section and you'll find a build on a FWD Century with a turbo on it. It is something you might want to see, if for no other reason, the tranny mod he did.

turbo or no, and other questions

Well, the 'Vair unibody structure isn't terribly wide where the motor is, and I'd have to do more cutting and rebuilding of structure. Certainly do-able.
I know the blower motors can run just fine, I've checked out those forums.
We'll see- this will have to be a very low-bucks project. The blower would probably be cheaper.
I'll check that post, too.
I really consider the present engine and transaxle as placeholders.
They cost almost nothing, (about $150 to buy the donor car, rent a trailer, and haul it home, less $80 for the body at the scrap yard) and will let me get suspension, brakes, frame, fuel, body, and glass issues sorted out.
And have some fun before I frag one or both!
video at driveway test
Regards
Jay

There is one other option Jay. the Corvair engine is a porsche but it runs backwards. You could transplant a 911 turbo engine and tranny in it without to much problem. I've seen that before and it was a fast little car.

cheap project

The guy had advertised the donor car for $150.
I said ok, and my friend and I rented a trailer to go fetch it.
When I arrived, the guy said I could have it for $75!!!
I said ok.
We put jumpers on it, and it started up.
I drove it out to where we could get it on the trailer.
So, I actually got more from the bare shell as scrap than I paid for the complete running (trans leaking) car!
The trans leak was a converter seal blown out. I put a new one in, while everything was on the ground.
We'll see how long it lasts!

Corvair power options

Wow, I remember reading about those conversions ages ago!
Probably a real decent way to go.
But, I'll remind you-
this ugly bastard already runs.

The money and work it would take to get the conversion kit, and the 'Vair 4-speed, and convert my early unit to the 65-69 suspension, etc.
Would be totally absurd! (Oh,yes, I'd still need the SBC)

I can get myself a healthy 4T60 and series II or series III blower motor (sans blower) for the price of the conversion kit alone.
Just add turbo and intercooler, and ROCK!
(according to power requirements, add bigger fuel pump, injectors, etc, etc.)

The car should only weigh about 2200 pounds all up.
YEEEHAAHH!

later
Jay