You can type here any text you want

TR and TTA turbo ???'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Donniejr81

I am currently in process of rounding up parts to build me my very own turbo Regal. I'm new to the Buick family, I grew up a diehard Mopar and Chevy guy. Are there any difference between the turbos used on a 82 TR and a 81 TTA? I have one of each with Qjet intake plenums, and would like to use the better one for my 3.8 Regal. I have heard that the TTA turbo is a little larger since it was on a factory 301T, but I wanted some better input. I noticed the TTA turbo isnt an exact match as far as exhaust placement and such, but I do have a friend whos a metal fabricator, so no worries there.

Another question I have is regarding the Qjet used on the TR and TTA's. It has a vacuum controlled power valve, and I cant find one of those carbs to save my life. Would it be possible to mod a regular Qjet with either a vacuum switch or boost operated solenoid to accomplish the same?? I have access to that kind of fabrication as well ;) Thanks in advance for any input.

Congrats and welcome to the insanity. There is one guy that's put a 301 turbo on a 3.8. I don't remember if it was this site or turbobuicks.com. It's not an easy thing to do but he seemed happy with the results. Are you planning to use a computer system or not?

I would like to build the setup without using the computer, as the ESC harness and related parts are long gone. Any suggestions??

Without some sort of spark/knock control you'll kill the engine. Even if you just run the 78 esc it's all you need. There are other options such as aftermarket, MSD ect but you need to run some sort of detonation sensor and timing control.

Back