You can type here any text you want

track results

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

G-bodyguy

Well took my car to the track for the first time here are my results

R/T .551 :frown:
60' 2.345
330 6.695
1/8 10.367
MPH 66.32
1000 13.599
1/4 16.373
MPH 80.95

All in all I was very pleased for now with the car and myself since it was the first time ever doing it. I was running with slicks with around 10 psi of boost

couple questions I have are

What kind of timing are you guys running?
I think I can do better if I do some carb adjusting any helpful hints?
Is the 160 thermostat that much better? I noticed my car seems to run alot better when its hotter say around 180-190
I think my fourth gear switch needs changed since it seems to act funny going into and when in fourth gear anyone deal with this before?
What if I unplugged the lock up converter when racing any difference their?
Will exhaust leak at the manifold give false knock?

My goal is to get the car into the 15's

Best thing by far is some sort of knock gauge. Any knock will kill timing. At 10 psi, I'm almost certain you have plenty of knock.

165°F thermostat will help avoid knocking.

I run in "D" with the convertor locked the whole run. Unless you manaully lock it, it's unlocked for WOT.

I understand that the thermostat may help avoid knock but the motor likes to run warmer, when the car is at that low of a temp it doesn't seem to respond as well when I hit the gas. I do have a knock gauge and I do get alittle knock but nothing drastic.

whats everybody running for timing any differences their if I play with it?

What year is the motor? If it's an 82/83, does the EGR system work?

If the plenum under the carb is too cool, fuel will puddle and it will hestitate will accelerating. If you have a 78/81 with coolant heating the plenum, then I could coolant temp having an effect.

I run stock timing. Sometimes I retard some using a MSD BTM, but at the track I use alcohol injection and octane to run full timing and 18 psi if can.

Track results!

Rich, you are the Man!!! I think you have forgotten more than all the rest of know about the Before cars!!

what does it help out when you have the converter locked up when your racing is this a big advantage and how do you do it - what type of switch and how is it hooked up

miked said:
Rich, you are the Man!!! I think you have forgotten more than all the rest of know about the Before cars!!

Thanks, but I still have a lot to learn. :) So many variables with these engines - boost, timing, knock, AFR, alcohol/water injection, octane. I change too much at once, buit I am getting it sorted out. I can usually run in the mid-high 14's.

G-bodyguy said:
what does it help out when you have the converter locked up when your racing is this a big advantage and how do you do it - what type of switch and how is it hooked up

It maybe good for a tenth or so. It's the same for an '83 as an '87.

From gnttype.org:
Locking up the torque converter manually has been shown to improve ET's by up to .2 seconds and add 2 MPH to your trap speed in the quarter mile. By activating this switch at the starting line, fluid will travel to the converter forcing lockup once the transmission hits second gear (there is no fluid path to converter while in 1st or reverse.) Yes, this is hard on the converter and transmission, but so is racing in general.
The switch will ground the TCC circuit regardless of ECM request. To install, run a wire from a ground location to one end of the switch and run another wire from the other end of the switch to terminal F on the ALDL connector under the radio pod. (As you are looking at the ALDL connector, terminal F is at the top left.) The easiest way to do the connection is to splice into the wire behind the connector.

Remember to flip the switch to the Off position once you are through the quarter mile to avoid unnecessary lockup, wear-and-tear, etc. With the switch in the Off position, the converter will only lockup when the ECM commands it to lockup. Note that this retains the Brake pedal override.

Terminal A (top right) is a ground, so sticking a paperclip in A and F at the same time will lock up the TCC.

that sounds like the easiest thing I have done so far thanks for the info.

Rich I as well THANK YOU you have been a ton of help along with everybody else that has helped me out on this web site and the turbobuicks sight as well

b4black said:
It maybe good for a tenth or so. It's the same for an '83 as an '87.

From gnttype.org:

Terminal A (top right) is a ground, so sticking a paperclip in A and F at the same time will lock up the TCC.
I may just have to try that sometime...
14.30 @ 94mph ..right on Richs tail. :biggrin: Cars down for repairs and tweaking.

Went to the track for the second time. The only changes I tried was the timing set at stock 16btdc. It fell on its face at take off so I returned it to where it was at 22 degrees advanced.

Adjusted the boost to give it a little more with the timing at 22 advanced seen alittle improvement their, will have to mess with the boost some more.

Still seems like their is more power hidden somewhere just have to figure out where

The car is very good it seems on the top end, its just sluggish at take offs and up to the 60 ft mark, I'm getting good traction so thats not it
I think if I mess with the carb I can see some improvements

Any suggestions?? the only things I do not have compared to some of you other guys is the msd set up and the alcohol injection

One last question how do I actually know if my secondaries are opening up when I hit the gas

Ttype83 said:
I may just have to try that sometime...
14.30 @ 94mph ..right on Richs tail. :biggrin: Cars down for repairs and tweaking.

Yikes! :eek:

Good Luck, I hope you can do it. :cool: I've put the new turbo on, but I'm still sorting it out.....It's running much fatter than I expected. I can't build as much boost as I would like on the line either.

I've been playing with the other regal too much. :o

I run 29 deg. total timimg,MSD BTM,no alcohol. 16psi.boost :wink:
All smog and computer wires are disconnected :cool: TH350 with 1800 stall
71-800cfm Q-jet, The turbo is from a 301 engine.160 deg. stat. It has ran 14.30's consistantly using Turbo Blue fuell :smile: Speedo does not work so I cant figure out fuell mileage :confused: I'd say 16 to 18 mpg

Back