Tranny jack or reg floor jack???

NCC1701

Another question,
I have a regular floor jack and will be replacing my torque convertor soon. Can I safely drop my tranmission with this or do I need to go buy a tranny jack? I also vaguley recall some type of adapter that you could by that converts your floor jack to a tranny jack, anyone hear of this???
Does anyone know if you can rent tranny jacks from the same place you can rent engine hoist???
Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

I got a cheap tranny jack from harbor freight for 40 bucks. Definatly worth the money if your gonna take it out by yourself. You can do it with a regular jack but it sucks. That tranny jack makes it a breeze. The adapter your talking about costs almost as much as just getting the tranny jack. I would just get the tranny jack or do without if your on a tight budjet.

I went to the local metal mart and bought a piece of 1/4 " plate that was about 16 inches square. Drilled 2 holes in the center of the plate, drilled and tapped 2 holes in the saddle (5/16"). I can bolt the plate right to the saddle when I need to use it for pulling gas tanks or trannys. I also drilled a 1/2 hole on opposite sides of the plate so I could hook a strap to the plate and use that as a safety just to make sure that trans doesn't end up on my head. Nice thing is it cost me less than 10 bucks and an hour and takes up almost no room in my crowded garage. I can send you a picture if needed.