Trans fluid & maintenace

belsie

Time to address the trans as far as good maintenance while not opening a can of worms!! Have owned the car for over 2 years and have no idea as to history?? All is good now but was looking at deep pan with big filter and possibly a fluid change but believe in the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so what is the consensus on this ?

I have to replace pan gasket anyway (leak) so thought this is a good time.............some trans experts say change gasket and pour old fluid back in to prevent any upsetting internally, some say do gasket & filter with old fluid...

Thoughts and experiences on this are appreciated..................

change the fluid!
x10 change fluid. The only time I've ever reused trans fluid was after I installed a new trans (with new fluid) and had to drop the pan couple weeks later to make adjustments. If using (the correct) fresh fluid causes problems, your trans was on its way out anyway.

my 2 cents is it depends,,, high mileage on trans- 80k plus without a oil change-I wouldnt . Somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k or less, I would. Without knowing the mileage, It's a crap shoot with a 50 percent chance of success.

Hmmm. Not knowing the history beyond 2 yrs is reason enough for me to not overthink it and just use new fluid. We probably all spend more money on our Buicks than we care to admit. Cheaping out on trans fluid just doesn't make much sense to me given the unknowns, but to each his own I guess...

Change the fluid . Like stated above if it starts acting up it was on its way out

Thanks to all, my experience with all older cars points to leaving fluid in because of the high detergent cleaning of new fluid problems could occur! Even the best performing trans has some varnish on the clutches and once cleaned off it will slip. New pan & gasket with the new deep filter from Hughes should strengthen the base......we will see...........................(y)