Trans fluid ?

For what it is worth, I switched my ATF from Type F to Dextron VI per Nick's recommendation about 4 months ago.

My car is a 99% street car. So far no issues.

Type F tended to make shifts hard, especially when cold. The Dex VI shifts are firm but not hard.
My personal opinion is my transmission just feels better/smoother while cruising now while still being aggressive when I need it to be.

I used O Reilly's Dextron VI at about $5.50 a quart.
Hope this helps.

Type F didnt last very long in my TH400. The convertor lost its coupling efficency. Switched to John Deere Hy-Guard and haven't looked back.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Dex Vl was what my trans guy told me not to use in my 400. Said the clutches were not compatible. Well, I do run dex VI. Guess time will tell.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

ive tried all of them and have been on the dex6 for a long time now,the syn will take more heat than the seals will and for street abuse is the better fliuid.redline makes really good fluid as well but I noticed the the gm dex6 shows no difference in tranny temp.the builder should have the final say in the fluid used though.

Walmart dex 6 . If iI was gonna beat on it like it owed me money ( quote from another poster) , I would go with the high dollar stuff .

From the AMSOIL web page for 1987 vin 7 Regal. Of course I suspect this assumes stock rebuilds but even then it is dex VI preferred.

I have to admit putting Wal-Mart dex VI in on last change - price, but will go to AMSOIL next change or transmission. All fluids should be changed especially if any signs of discoloration or burnt smell appear and/or changed every year or two in my opinion.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1987+BUICK+REGAL+7

Automatic Transmission,THM200-4R......AF6 [3]

Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)

[[3] This specification has been updated from Dexron II or III to
Dexron VI per a Technical Service Bulletin from the
manufacturer

Dex 6 is good stuff. Amsoil is great. I've always ran dex 3 with the red lubeguard never had a issue .

Would the store brand non synthetic Dex VI work? I want to get the Mobil 1 syn. but nobody locally has it.

I used the store brand Dex VI and it is working fine for me.
Ha, probably the best advice. If it doesn't have a lockup clutch, you can get away with just about anything. I been using autozone branded cheap stuff in my 400 and have absolute no problems. Don't recall to what spec it's made from but assume it meets the latest GM DEX number.
Once upon a time I tried Type F and noticed it didn't last very long. Never again...,
AG

All this is great info yet confusing,....... What is the concensus for simply doing a fluid & filter change on a stock trans with unknown miles? Not comfortable going synthetic on older trans especially if it has always been non-syn and really have no way of confirming.
All is OK now but just want to service for piece of mind.........

Opinions please.............................:unsure:

Burned my trans up last year due to not having a sprag in my convertor and extended "Spirited" driving, long up hill grades, etc the conv was cooking the fluid without a sprag.

Trans was so hot it melted the teflon rings on the center support and I had DEX 6 in it and I think it definetly handled teh heat better than type f would have but was still smoked.

After getting a sprag added, trans rebuilt and talking with my builder he recommended Trick shift non syn.
Its a type F style fluid and shifts better then Dex 6 he said that the trick shift formula has a better heat tolerance than reg ole type F.
Finished out the season with it and the fluid is still clear and no residue of the dipstick on a white towel.

On a side note I noticed that ATI makes a synthetic Type F.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Super-Synthetic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B0055SC45Q

Someone try it in a ten second and faster car and let me know...LOL.

Last edited:
Just changed to the Amsoil super shift so we shall see. Seems as if you have had good luck with it

So far. My tranny guy is also into diesel truck pulling and he uses it in his Allison too. Lots of miles and pulls on that tranny and it holds up to that too.

Now I'm a bad TR owner in that I've never verified my tranny pressures or looked at temps even. I just run it and it works. It's never had a refresh yet in those 45k miles. A TE44 shouldn't be too hard on a well built 200 even with the miles I have on it.