translator plus tuning problem

buick1987gn

I'm a bad man.
I just got my car running after installing the translator. Idled smooth as glass, but my 02s were high at idle, they got in to the .850 range and set a code 45 rich exhaust. The fuel pressure is set at 44 with the line off, and the blms were way low around 110. I pulled a plug and sure enough they were rich. I didnt get to drive the car at all its raining bad out, but as soon as I rev it up the blms went to 128. I switched the base maf dip swith to position 2 ( 3.5 ls1 and lean idle). And it seemed to help a little. Anyone else have this problem. And I would love some tuning advice. Combo is in the sig. Thanks in advance for the help. Im gonna have another crack at tuning tomorrow.

Well you can try the lean idle, but since I have the trans +box right in the cockpit, I will only switch it on after the engine is up to temps, otherwise it stalls on take off. Havn't found much use for it yet....

Most of the time the engine idle is fine with the # 3 position.

Gees I don't like the 009's, have to tell you that might, might, be part of the problem. I've heard they either run fat on the bottom, or on the top. I had 'em, and opted for the 50"s no problems..

As to the rest, I've found the '0' settings to work the best. With pump gas. Base fuel at #3, the rest at 0's.

Try 42.5 hose off fuel pressure. You may be aggrevating the rich condition.

Next, open the air bleed screw. I can make the idle go up, and down with it, even though others may say that the idle is set by the computer. It should be, but that is the way mine is...

Remember to reset the tps, and even disconnect the orange wire at the battery each time you play with the air bleed.

You might try advancing the base Timing to help 'dry up' the idle condition.

Hopefully someone with 009's will have the same combination. They colud help you better than I can.

BTW, The high0-2's should go away once you have leaned the idle mixture.

Good luck. You should be ok, there is lots of stuff to mess with. I'm sure you can fix it! :)

I can't use the #3 setting im using a 3.5 ls1 sensor, I put it on #2 and i dont run pump gas, I have 100 octane in the tank.
I ve never heard that about the 009's anyone else have that experience with them? What really confuses me is how the blms went right to 128 when i reved it up :confused:

I believe there is a BLM lock after so much throttle, other chips have that also. Actually I just verified that today on my scanmaster, I was following the BLMs to check my tune. My blms are a little high, adding fuel at 44 lb static on redstripes.

I just got mine installed and am getting ready to try some tuning. I am adjusting base sensor as 3" LT1 at this time, it seems to idle pretty good. I have the redstipe 40's. I have questions for the high octane and trans plus also. I just posted on that to get some tuning advice and have not tuned yet with the high octane, but here is the link, good info: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41560

There seems to be not a lot of info with the trans plus tuning, so I will let you know of anything I come up with. Going to try some 110 or maybe a xylene mix soon.

Originally posted by buick1987gn
I just got my car running after installing the translator. Idled smooth as glass, but my 02s were high at idle, they got in to the .850 range and set a code 45 rich exhaust. The fuel pressure is set at 44 with the line off, and the blms were way low around 110. I pulled a plug and sure enough they were rich. I didnt get to drive the car at all its raining bad out, but as soon as I rev it up the blms went to 128. I switched the base maf dip swith to position 2 ( 3.5 ls1 and lean idle). And it seemed to help a little. Anyone else have this problem. And I would love some tuning advice. Combo is in the sig. Thanks in advance for the help. Im gonna have another crack at tuning tomorrow.

Other than the chips we use, and the injectors, there's not a lot of difference between our engines.

I use BASE 0 for my LS1 sensor, and have almost perfect BLM's across the board. I'd have to start looking at the chip first and yes, the 009's have always been very non linear and difficult to tune for. A chip cut for 009's would not run well at for a different brand of 42.5# injectors for example.

I'm running an Trans + with 009's and a 3" LT1 MAF, looks like the major difference between our setups is the chip. I'm running an extender chip. I was running Lubrant chips (street and 110 race) before this change and I can say the extender has a much better tune for the 009's than my old Lubrant chips (better tip in, all around much smoother and more personable). Ramchargers told me it would run better and they were right. I'm sorta in the same boat as you are, just starting to tune this thing with this new setup and watching out for any problems. Let's see what happens with your rich idle problem when you get a chance to run the car a bit.

My bad I do have an exterder chip, burt for the 009's. Forgot to update sig. I never had this problem with my Lubrant chip thought.

In that case I have an idea!

Check to see if your MAF reporting is 1/2 of actual like it's supposed to be for the Extender. My setup did not report 1/2 actual until I reset the ECM by unplugging the ECM power feed at the battery. If the ECM is not reading 1/2 MAF then the extender chip will probably deliver too much fuel by about 2X.

ie: If it's expecting 1/2 MAF, which is maybe 3-4 g/sec at idle, and still seeing 6-8 g/sec (still reporting the actual air flow) then it will deliver enough fuel for 12-16 g/sec.

Check your dip switches and make sure they are on, on, off, off.

Then I would set base MAF @ 0 and your FP to 41 line off. See how it does. Make sure to reset the ECM after making changes and be sure to take the car out for a drive for 5-10 minutes to make sure all of the blm cells are learned in correctly. Then look at where you blm's are sitting and report back.

dip switches are on on off off set the fuel pressure to 41 and still throws code. the bmls are way low, im confused and getting fustrated. I did drive it and gave it a few blasts it felt real good, till the vacume line blew off the pvc valve then it started buck and sputtering. At that point I threw In the towel for the day.:( Ill give it some more attention tomorrow.

Well I got a second wind and took another look at the car. I pulled a plug and the electrode looked good but there was signs of a rich idle around the base. I also unhooked my boost sensing for the turbolink (maybe that could be a problem??????). I think Im gonna put the Translator at lean idle and set the fuel pressure at 42 psi. Ill see what that gets me.