You can type here any text you want

Transmission and Turbo rebuild how-to

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What do you think of the videos?

• Hell yes, I'd pay money for a complete series of videos

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, I like seeing these types of videos

• Not really, I'd rather be watching Cribs

• No, I'm already a master at all this stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Detroit Turbo

Does anyone think these types of videos are helpful?

Here is a couple that demonstrate the procedure to tear down a trans pump out of a 700R4.

Transmission Pump | TuneyFish.com

Transmission Pump - Remove Bolts | TuneyFish.com

Transmission - Pump Rotor And Vanes | TuneyFish.com

Just mainly looking for feedback before I put too much time into creating a complete series about trans rebuilding or turbo rebuilding.

Please share any feedback you have, and also we are going to be filming "Project 86'd" very soon again. Its an '86 GN that was '86'd so to speak, until Randy grabbed it and we decided to film the entire resurrection starting with the engine. I'm picking up the turbo this week and will probably start shooting the rebuild of that this weekend.

A lil critique

No mention of socket/wrench sizes.

Skip beating on the wrench with a pair of pliers and use the proper tools.

Working on the pump in a fixture of some sort when taking it apart is best. This will be evident upon reassembly and tightening the bolts that bring the halves back together. Trying to hold the pump in your hands and tighten aint gonna happen.

The pump seal retainer ring and why its there. im mean the name gives it away but elaborate....bushing needs to be staked in the pump, loctite the seal, etc I guess mention that you will elaborate more on it later.

IME taking the pump apart like that invites the vanes and slide (possibly) to fall out all over the place.

Take it apart the the other way/flipped over from direction shown vanes stay in cavity.

Pump was empty inside in/no fluid residual. In reality there would be fluid coming out and it would be a mess.

A lil critique

No mention of socket/wrench sizes.

Ahh yes, good catch.

Skip beating on the wrench with a pair of pliers and use the proper tools.

I do need to get the right tools. That was unexpected and I just wanted to keep going, but I agree 100%, need to show the right way to do it.

Working on the pump in a fixture of some sort when taking it apart is best. This will be evident upon reassembly and tightening the bolts that bring the halves back together. Trying to hold the pump in your hands and tighten aint gonna happen.

I've seen, and wanted to buy one of these: Tranny Stands - Transmission Rebuild Stands
But I'm sure I can figure out a way to secure the pump somehow.

The pump seal retainer ring and why its there. im mean the name gives it away but elaborate....bushing needs to be staked in the pump, loctite the seal, etc I guess mention that you will elaborate more on it later.

Glad you mention that, I'll be sure to include that in there. These are by no means complete, but they are certainly serving a purpose in providing me some great feedback.

IME taking the pump apart like that invites the vanes and slide (possibly) to fall out all over the place.

Take it apart the the other way/flipped over from direction shown vanes stay in cavity.

Pump was empty inside in/no fluid residual. In reality there would be fluid coming out and it would be a mess.

I'll be spending some time on this so I'll probably re-shoot the majority of it, and spend much more time explaining things.

Great feedback, thanks!

Back