You can type here any text you want

transmission issue, so I thought

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
So for the last 8 months I thought I had a transmission or stall converter issue. I remember checking the downpipe and the flex plate bolts.

Today my girl figured this out.

Time to check downpipe again.

Any ideas on what this rattle can be?

D

Thats unusual really curious to find what the culprit is. Just gonna have to have her push down with her foot all the time

Lol, " ok now hold it there.....FOREVER...hahaha, Is the test pipe hitting somewhere? I can't remember how you have it setup...Mike

Driveshaft hitting driveshaft loop? Does it only happen with a passenger in the car?

What condition is the rubber exhaust hanger at the back of where the cat attaches?

Driveshaft hitting driveshaft loop? Does it only happen with a passenger in the car?

I like this one. Makes sense for the sound I'm hearing but it makes the sound while parked. In gear in park and in reverse.

Thanks for the input guys.

D

I've been thinking It's definitely a spinning hitting sound.

The motor is running good and strong.

I'm going to check crank play back and forth with motor off, like someone suggested on a different thread, change the oil and check filter again and anything else I can think of. There will be 4 of us trouble shooting.

I remember on Sunday being parked and revving the motor pretty high and the scan master showed 13 knock. PARKED!

If I can't figure it out tonight I'm giving up and sending the car to a more knowledgeable TR guy.

I still believe it's converter or transmission related.

D

Last edited:
theres a heat shield under that spot screwed onto studs on the floor just below the floor seam to the firewall, the nuts are just stamped steel speed nuts and they can rust out

theres also the shield abobove the cat converter that could be hitting the tranny lines or it just loose , held on with four tiny 9/32 head screws

I’m hoping it’s that simple. The heat shield or the cross member.

The trans shifts great. BUT it is leaking fluid from what appears where the dip stick tube is inserted into the trans.

While it is running it doesn’t leak at all. Once it’s parked is when it leaks. The following day there is a descent size puddle.

I checked the level and it’s down a quart. I have an aftermarket cooler installed. Gonna inspect many things.

thanks
D

Stupid question but did you go underneath the car with it running and have your heavy footed passenger press the magic spot?

We’re going to do that tonight. I have use of a friends lift. I still have that awful gut feeling that the trans and or converter has to be replaced.

We will thoroughly inspect everything we can. I will also disconnect the converter from flywheel and run it to see what’s up.

If we can’t find the issue then my girl will be getting some leg work while i drive the TR :D

D

Pressing on that one spot would not affect the trans in any way. Those shields that pacecarta was taking about sure.

Yeah I thought of that. But the undeniable rotation type noise is tough to ignore. She said she could still feel a little something.

You are more than welcome to drive down tonight. I’ll cover fuel, food and any other expenses you may have.;)

fingers crossed!

D

BTW. That’s fingers crossed on my issue being minor, not on you coming down. :)

Anyone in there area is welcome to help. One can never have enough input when trouble shooting.

Last edited:
I just changed my oil and found a loose trans cooler line that can rattle. If the video is private I'll fix it from home later.

Well. I fixed the trans cooler line rattle but the other noise is still there.

D

Back