Tricked looking 300ZX - Pounded

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Well, I had to fly out on a military mission this morning, (Sunday), so I drove the GN into the base. I was going along on one of our local 4 lanes coming up to a light when the redlight catches me and a 2000 model Camaro SS together at the light, oh boy, this is gonna be interesting. He’s running the LS-1 V-8 I suppose, I know those things are pretty quick. The light turns green and I ease into the throttle, but he just putters along. Oh well, guess he didn’t want to play. So I go on about my business and I’ve just got off the Toll Road onto Dale Mabry in Tampa, (another 4 lane here locally) As I merged onto the 4-lane ahead of the traffic that had just gotten the green light behind me, I noticed there was this trick looking Nissan 300-ZX leading the pack and he comes blowing past me with his twin “Fart” cans, I thought, no, I’m not going to play catch me if you can with this guy. I just continue with my normal acceleration until I’m up to about 50 MPH. Typically with me, the import tuners want you to try and catch up with them as they weave through traffic doing 80 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Anyway, then, it happened, the light up ahead turned red and stayed red until I got up there right next to him. Incredible, 2 line ups in one morning, no way, maybe this one will get froggy. Ha, you won’t be playing catch me if ya can now. Police check – Clear, traffic up ahead – Clear, pedestrians - clear. I can see I’ve got open road for at least a half a mile or more. Now, lets wait and see. The light turns green and I just ease into the throttle again in 1st gear. I’m at about 2500 RPM holding in 1st when I see out of the corner of my eye he jumps forward, I can hear the fart cans screaming to life. He got about a half a car jump on me before I punched it. In about 4 seconds I was 3 car lengths out in front of him. By the top top of second I think he just gave up cause he dropped back and flashed his headlights at me. I think that's the "race over" signal. I get more action on Sunday morning than on Friday night! I’ll have to change my theories on cruising. - BB

Originally posted by Buick Beginner
Well, I had to fly out on a military mission this morning, (Sunday), so I drove the GN into the base. I was going along on one of our local 4 lanes coming up to a light when the redlight catches me and a 2000 model Camaro SS together at the light, oh boy, this is gonna be interesting. He’s running the LS-1 V-8 I suppose, I know those things are pretty quick. The light turns green and I ease into the throttle, but he just putters along. Oh well, guess he didn’t want to play. So I go on about my business and I’ve just got off the Toll Road onto Dale Mabry in Tampa, (another 4 lane here locally) As I merged onto the 4-lane ahead of the traffic that had just gotten the green light behind me, I noticed there was this trick looking Nissan 300-ZX leading the pack and he comes blowing past me with his twin “Fart” cans, I thought, no, I’m not going to play catch me if you can with this guy. I just continue with my normal acceleration until I’m up to about 50 MPH. Typically with me, the import tuners want you to try and catch up with them as they weave through traffic doing 80 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Anyway, then, it happened, the light up ahead turned red and stayed red until I got up there right next to him. Incredible, 2 line ups in one morning, no way, maybe this one will get froggy. Ha, you won’t be playing catch me if ya can now. Police check – Clear, traffic up ahead – Clear, pedestrians - clear. I can see I’ve got open road for at least a half a mile or more. Now, lets wait and see. The light turns green and I just ease into the throttle again in 1st gear. I’m at about 2500 RPM holding in 1st when I see out of the corner of my eye he jumps forward, I can hear the fart cans screaming to life. He got about a half a car jump on me before I punched it. In about 4 seconds I was 3 car lengths out in front of him. By the top top of second I think he just gave up cause he dropped back and flashed his headlights at me. I think that's the "race over" signal. I get more action on Sunday morning than on Friday night! I’ll have to change my theories on cruising. - BB

I hope you can see where I'm coming from with this post, whenever people make derogatory posts towards the 300ZX I typically feel the necessity to defend it since I own said car.

I'm glad you've got some reservations against "Fart Cannons". I do as well when they are most commonly used on all-motor civic applications. I've personally got a B&B Triflo exhaust on my car, dual exhaust, quad tip.

Typically those "Fart Cannons" are actually necessary when used on turbo charged 6s throughout the import world, but that's only really when you enter the higher horsepower ranges where you need the diameter for less backpressure. I believe there's a chart in Corky Bell's book as to what power ranges require what size downpipes and exhausts.

I have to say, I like the sound of a well tuned GN more then my Z, I've always had a knack for the audibles of domestic motors (most of them - anyhow).

I don't mind the sound of my car at all, the twin turbos and triflo sound nice together. I don't weave in and out of traffic and neither do any of the people I cruise with. I belong to a local respectable car group which mostly consists of C5s, Vipers, and Supras. We might drive a little crazy, but that's when we're alone at 2 am on the highway. We try to stray away, as I do in everyday life, from the childish import owner. I find a tasteful bodykit is nice, but would much rather get a boost controller then a body modification.

I am in the market, debating really, to get a Grand National, or any type of Gbody for that matter. I am used to the impressive handling and aerodynamics of the Z, but there's something indescribable about the Grand National, especially one that's an 11 second car and appears to be stock. There's something very devilish about the torque and fear a GN can create. I know that around here, people gamble when they play with Turbo Buicks. I live within 15 miles of 4 9 second and under GNs.

Either way - good kill. I hope he'll put more money into some larger turbos or a bottle then some crappy distasteful bodykit for his car. You're doing me a favor by stomping on the local Zs ;)

That's just my opinion though.

Jason

There is nothing rice about the 300zx. They are a true sports car, not some Accord with a body kit and neon lights.

How about some pics of your car, Xenon. Cant say I am familiar with the '92

Good kill BB

Responses

Hello Gentlemen - First; GNDreamn - I don't know if it was a twin turbo but I'm going to assume it was not. It seemed too quick of a kill considering my relatively few mods. Second; Turbo Buicks - Hey there Cory, How goes it? Don't have the end tanks ready yet but as soon as I start forming the aluminum I'll take some pictures and send ya an e-mail. Third; Xenon - Well spoken, Well spoken indeed. If all import tuners were of your caliber the world would be a different, (better), place. Unfortunately you are a rare bird among the import crowd. - BB:)

cool dude cant wait to see them:) i talked to some guys that did the IC a bit different and no cutton to the cooler was needed, it was totally invisible install to the naked eye and the cuts just widened eisting holes. pretty neat ways. if your endtanks work better and no cutting is involved i may go that way but who kows thats a while aways now. ill just take it one step at a time no rush:)