You can type here any text you want

TT chip turn on temps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

I see in the instructions Turbo Tweak chip's fan turn on temps are 166-167. I'm asking because I've never noticed this last season. While taking the car our for it's first shake down ride of the season, I noticed my fan never really turned off. (while the cars on of course) So I looked at the instructions. 166 turn on temp. Ok, it just hit me. When exactly are you going to see under 166 coolant temps in the summer? Like 1 % of the time you're out. So won't the fans pretty much stay on all day during the summer? How does the air that's flowing faster than the fan can turn affect the fan's motor? Isn't the wind stressing the fan's motor?

My car stays at 160 while driving , not matter the heat. But once I stop at a red light or catch a few she creeps up. That's when my turns on and she's back down to 160. Every cars different. What kinda t stat do you have?

If you don't have a 160 stat it will never get down to 160 and the fans will run continuously. I have a 180 stat and usually see 200 on hot summer days. My autos textbook says it is normal to see 20 degrees warmer than the thermostat so I'm not worried about it. I have a stock equivalent radiator (installed by previous owner), front mount and dual Spal fans. When the ambient temp is 80 or cooler my water temp stays at 180-185. I have an extender chip. I don't know when it is programmed to come on but probably around 185 and shuts off around 180 or a little cooler. Recently my fans quit working due to a broken wire. Ambient temp was 60 degrees. I drove home on the hwy at 70 mph and water temp stayed at 200.

Last edited:
GNRick,
I believe the extender chip is programmed for fans on at 175deg F. Maybe Bob Bailey can chime in to verify this info.
I ended up having my extender extreme chip re-programmed to command fans on at 187 def F and off at 170 as my car was running way too cold for the street. At the same time I also switched from a 160 T-stat to a 180 T-Stat. Keep in mind that my car is driven on the street & won't likely see the track (at least for a while yet). I am much happier with the coolant temperatures the engine sees now.
May go back to the 160 T-stat & default fan settings on the extender extreme chip if and when I do ever get to the strip.

dave

GNRick,
I believe the extender chip is programmed for fans on at 175deg F. Maybe Bob Bailey can chime in to verify this info.
I ended up having my extender extreme chip re-programmed to command fans on at 187 def F and off at 170 as my car was running way too cold for the street. At the same time I also switched from a 160 T-stat to a 180 T-Stat. Keep in mind that my car is driven on the street & won't likely see the track (at least for a while yet). I am much happier with the coolant temperatures the engine sees now.
May go back to the 160 T-stat & default fan settings on the extender extreme chip if and when I do ever get to the strip.

dave
If you have a 180 stat I don't think your car will ever see 170 and your fans will always be running. The way I understand it the stat will hold the coolant in the motor until the stat temperature is reached or maybe a little higher. Then the stat will open and the coolant will flow into the radiator where it will get cooled as best it can, depending on the efficiency of the radiator, efficiency of the fans, and outside air temperature. The cooled coolant then flows back into the motor via the water pump. I'm guessing the thermostat only operates within a limited range, like maybe 175-185. I never see less than 180 on my vdo gauge. I have a 180 stat. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

With the 180 stat installed, my car sees over 180 deg regularly. Which is OK by me (remember this is a street driven car). I want to be sure the engine components have reached proper temperature for critical tolerances to be achieved before I drop the hammer.
As it's set up, the fans come on at 187deg F and shut off just over 17o.
At times (in traffic) the coolant temperatures have hit the low 190's, but that's as high as I've ever seen them go. When I installed my ALRADCO radiator & new water pump, the 160 T-stat in place, I found the coolant temperatures way too cool for my liking. Weird, but it was often below 160 degrees.
I scratched my head trying to figure out why so cool, when the stock rad & water pump kept the coolant significantly hotter.
The only thing I could attribute this to was the new Rad & water pump, and RMI-25 .
Anyways, since the 180 stat & changed fan on chip settings the engine coolant temps are in a much more favourable zone for me. The dual ram charger fans run often, but no where near as much as they did with the 160 stat.

So if this fan's going to be pretty much running all day while I'm out cruising/racing, isn't the motor going to get worn out in short order?

I'm sure that can't be good for the fans. What thermostat do you have?

Turbo6Smackdown, you might want to research the pros and con's of a 160 t-stat. I've read where it helps prevent detonation but also doesn't let the oil get hot enough to burn off condensation.

You do know that the oil goes right through the center section of our turbochargers right? I don't know about yours lol, but I can assure you mine get's up to temp lol. I run this car. Hard. She sees temp, I promise. But thank you for looking out for me though. I appreciate it. :)

Back