TT Emissions chip

budget_crx

I failed emissions testing today in the Buick and was wondering if the chip would help at all. When testing today I was running stock exhaust minus a cat, so i was thinking passing should be a cinch with a used cat and an emissions chip (both used only for the test). I am running 55# injectors too, so should i go ahead and get one or not?

I would put the cat on for emissions and get an emissions chip burned for your injectors. I'll be in the same boat next month when I have to go to inspection, but I had Eric burn me an emissions chip for the 60 lb. mototron injectors, which also turns the EGR back on. If you can find a used cat put that on too.

I failed emissions testing today in the Buick and was wondering if the chip would help at all. When testing today I was running stock exhaust minus a cat, so i was thinking passing should be a cinch with a used cat and an emissions chip (both used only for the test). I am running 55# injectors too, so should i go ahead and get one or not?

Get Eric to burn you a chip- just had to pass emissions up here in WA; I'm running MSD 50s, 214/214 roller cam, and a high-flow cat.

First pass with car at 180 degrees, TT 93 street chip, fuel pressure 43 - FAIL/PASS

HC ppm:
Idle Limit: 220
Idle Emissions: 247
Idle Result: FAIL

CO %
Idle limit : 1.2
Idle Emission .06
Idle result: PASS

2nd pass with car at about 205 deg, TT emissions chip, fuel pressure 43 - PASS/FAIL

HC ppm:
Idle Emissions: 210
Idle Result: PASS

CO %
Idle Emission 1.88
Idle result: FAIL

Final pass with car at about 205 deg, TT emissions chip, fuel pressure backed down to 25 (or so) - PASS/PASS

HC ppm:
Idle Emissions: 91
Idle Result: PASS

CO %
Idle Emission .05
Idle result: PASS

When all was done, I popped the 93 chip back in, turned the FP up, and went to play:D

Just put a GOOD cat on - unhook the wastegate rod and if you really want to impress put a little alky in the tank

i passed with my 60#s and street chip w/ an unhooked wg and i put in some fresh "HOT" plugs - i think i put r45ts - MOST jackasses cant drive the car on the dyno - ESPECIALLY under boost - Remember with boost the FP will rise to enrichen the mixture too

aaron you should of spoke up sooner haha!:smile: I went ahead and ordered the chip, now i just need to find a cat. should i unhook the wastegate even with the chip or just not worry about it now?

aaron you should of spoke up sooner haha!:smile: I went ahead and ordered the chip, now i just need to find a cat. should i unhook the wastegate even with the chip or just not worry about it now?

if it was me i would still unhook the WG- Those jackasses cant drive... period!!! the CAT is gonna make a night and day difference. there's not really a point in taking the test w/o the cat - you are almost guaranteed to fail. My brothers and i share a cat:eek: :biggrin: for these tests- than it mysteriously comes off the car til the next time:eek:

if it was me i would still unhook the WG- Those jackasses cant drive... period!!! the CAT is gonna make a night and day difference. there's not really a point in taking the test w/o the cat - you are almost guaranteed to fail. My brothers and i share a cat:eek: :biggrin: for these tests- than it mysteriously comes off the car til the next time:eek:

yeah thats all i plan on using it for, i think my boy dave still has the stock one from his WE4 so i should be set for that. should i get the hotter plugs too, and how many stages hotter?

yeah thats all i plan on using it for, i think my boy dave still has the stock one from his WE4 so i should be set for that. should i get the hotter plugs too, and how many stages hotter?

you may not need the plugs, i just do it to be safe - i think stock is r44ts - i usually use CR42TS or UR5s - so i guess one stage up from stock would be the R45TS - just make sure you just use them for test and then go home and switchem out -

Lower the fp to 38 line off, turn the boost wayyyyyyyyy down, get it up to temp (210 ish) and go for it. My car passed cleaner than my truck!

haha thanks, I'm going to try it with 38psi with the line on first. I have 30days of free testing now that it failed so I can experiment with what works and what doesn't. oh and the wastegate will be disconnected, so no boost.

Emissions Testing Results Are In!!

ok here is the results of Both of my tests, one without the TT chip and a cat, the other with both. Here is my setup:

Walbro 340, Hotwire Kit, 55# injectors, stock airbox, stock exhaust (with test pipe instead of a cat), TurboTweaks 93-94 octane street chip. 38psi fuel pressure (with line attached). with this setup I took it to the sniffer and these are the results:

Hydrocarbons
allowed: 0.8000 Grams/mile
reading: 1.8053 grams/mile FAIL

Carbon Monoxide
allowed: 15.0000 grams/mile
reading: 22.5002 FAIL

Oxides of Nitrogen
allowed: 2.0000 grams/mile
reading: 3.9394 grams/mile FAIL

As you can see I failed miserably, so today I went back with the same setup as listed above except with these changes:
  • I put on a USED stock catalytic converter from a friend's GN in place of the test pipe
  • I installed the Turbo Tweaks emissions chip
  • I unhooked the wastegate actuator from the flapper
Everything else was exactly the same as my first run, fuel pressure, BP 93 octane fuel, everything.

Now here are the results of today's sniffer tests with the 3 changes done.
Hydrocarbons
allowed: 0.8000 grams/mile
reading: 0.1886 grams/mile PASS

Carbon Monoxide
allowed: 15.0000 grams/mile
reading: 6.2690 grams/mile PASS

Oxides of Nitrogen
allowed: 2.0000 grams/mile
reading: 1.0521 grams/mile PASS
As they were testing it they stopped because it got a FAST PASS. The only thing i noticed with the chip was that the temperature was warmer than usual. I have a 160* thermostat and the temps rised up to 200* sometimes. the street chip's temp usually runs about 170*. Thats the only thing i noticed, coolant levels and outside temps were not out of the norm either, so i am assuming its the chip that made the difference. All in all it did great! I highly recomend trying out the TT emissions chip!

Did you put the regular chip back in and hook up the wastegate in the parking lot when you were done like I do?? They love that Congrats