You can type here any text you want

TTA Code and Bad miss

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brian Felts

I am restoring a 17,000 mile TTA for a fellow and there has also been some issues for a bad miss. The code I get is a 42 the odd thing is that the SES light flickers and goes off Flickers and stays on.........Do you think its the ECM maybe the ign. controll module.

Any other ideas please shoot them my way.

Brian Felts

Well as best I can find it has sat in the sun under a plastic tarp for many years. I am doing Paint, decals and mechanics to get it up and running. I know it was purchased from a Pontiac Dealer (its a one owner) and signed by Mike Wallace in 1993. This is our second TTA to save our other one #1053 was sold by my brother.

Brian Felts

Attachments

• jvm1003.jpg
    jvm1003.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 150
  • tta2.jpg
    tta2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 140
This is the work I completed today.

Attachments

• tta12.jpg
    tta12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 127
  • tta13.jpg
    tta13.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 133
I am restoring a 17,000 mile TTA for a fellow and there has also been some issues for a bad miss. The code I get is a 42 the odd thing is that the SES light flickers and goes off Flickers and stays on.........Do you think its the ECM maybe the ign. controll module.

Any other ideas please shoot them my way.

Brian Felts

Very weird........my TTA has THE EXACT same problem. It just started happening last weekend, and I haven't had time to dig in to it yet. If you find out the problem, please share!!!

One person suggested the coil pack was bad. Talk to you later.

I am leaning to the ignition controll module. I will keep you posted as soon as my family brings back my scanner!!

B

I had the same problem. there were leaks between the maf and the throttle body and one half of the coil was firing very weakly. I replaced the entire unit since I had a spare and the problem was fixed. Also had a vibration around 2k; discovered that the trans had been out for rebuild and the alignment of flywheel and converter was off. I turned it one third and bolted it back up and had no more vibration.
Hope this helps.
Jim

I had the same problem. there were leaks between the maf and the throttle body and one half of the coil was firing very weakly. I replaced the entire unit since I had a spare and the problem was fixed. Also had a vibration around 2k; discovered that the trans had been out for rebuild and the alignment of flywheel and converter was off. I turned it one third and bolted it back up and had no more vibration.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Just so I'm clear.........when you say you "replaced the entire unit"...........are you just talking about the coil?

New INFO

Here is what I have now........let the car run for over 15min. The idle dropped to 1100rpm at about 160*

at this point rev the car to 2000 rpm and get a small backfire on deceleration.

small miss across rpm band

Batt voltage good on dash

when this all happened the ECM will no longer allow me to do scans or watch the sensors in real time. Right before the computer locked me out I began to get some crazy readings (ex. intake air temp -15*) Would no longer read the MAF

When I first start it up I can get correct sensor readings.

Oh yes if I sit there with the key on and the motor off the computer will kick out odd codes and kick the cooling fans on and off numerous times.

When I started to get erroneous readings out of my computer, I changed computers and it was fine again. I too got real weird readings like you did, but the car idled and ran fine..

Jason

I am getting the 13K Ohms across the poles on the coils. I also have good spark going to each cyl. I used my dial back timing light and got good consistant fire on each cyl. I am thinking that would rule out the Module....maybe you all have a lot more experience than I so chime in with anything.

We han TTA#1053 a few years back and had a bad ECM. I don't have a production number for this one.

Brian

Back