tta front mount intercooler

john evans

who on the board is running a front mount on their ta.what brand, who bent the intercooler piping?,any ducting involved?i'm currently running a cas stock mount tta,works pretty well,but i'm always thinking of the next possible upgrade.thanks:cool:

i have the dequick front mount on my tta and those pipes are not the same. his front mount uses 2 single pipes and they are powdercoated grey

I may be completely wrong, but for pure racing the next upgrade would be a liquid cooled I/C.

For the street, the next "upgrade" would be a custom made unit by someone, possibly Spearco, because TTBOMK, no one is making a TTA front mount I/C as a marketed product.

I'm not sure you are going to do appreciably better than the Dequick unit for the street....but I could be completely wrong!

Depends on your goals. If your running low 11's then an upgraded IC would be fine. Otherwise, your wasting your money. I ran 11.34 with a dutt neck Ic off a GN in 80degree weather. Fm=big bucks....If you dont have alky....Get it!;)

I have MAYBE 2500 in upgrades and I am on the verge of 10's.:eek: Only because of tune/combo.

How many GN's you seen with huge FM intercooler, slicks, bigger turbo and skinnies run 12 sec's ;)...These cars need the right combo to go fast. Look at Julio..... He is getting his new combo dialed in after certain issues with go fast parts, but now he is really flying!

Somthing to think about.

Bo

Bo,

Talk bout picking up the ball and running with it.

I have a FM on my car. I had taken it back to the track and it didnt initially bear any improvement. Boost did go higher due to the flow improvement.

Mine looks like a Kenne Bell that someone had the pipes fab'd for it.

What about some of the ricer front mounts on ebay? Wonder how hard it would be to get one to fit. I think you can pick them up for around 200 bucks. They would about have to be better than a stocker, you would have to get some pipes made though. Anyone tried this yet?

you guys are right,my cas stock mount is probably a nice upgrade already.i need more racing time on my car /tuning.it runs real well now ,i'm just thinking about the next upgrade.i just installed julio's kit and i guess i'll be upgrading my dr's next to mickey t's.thanks for the input though guys.:D

Originally posted by Razor
Tune tune tune....

IC's are way over rated :D

So is alky.....

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :)

sorry Julio, couldn't resist. I find it ironic that a vendor who doesn't like alky is installing your kit for a customer who is duly impressed. It's definitely something I'm thinking about.

my family was full of alkyies....

IC's are way over rated

IC's are not way over rated. Alcohol injection is considered a form of intercooling. You dont get a double bonus by running alky and upgraded IC's at the same time. Since they both do a similar thing they make each other less effective.

Heres a concept way of looking at it:
1. alky is a 10 point gain
2. intercooling is a 8 point gain
3. that would be 18 point gain total.

BUT, since the area's of improvement over lap its more like a 12 point gain when you combine both.

HTH: Jason

100 cubic foot container will hold 100 cubic feet of 80 degree air on an 80 degree day.

The same container will hold 261 cubic feet of air @ 30 psi and 160 degrees

If the air was cooled down to 110 degrees @ the 30 psi you could now fit 284 cubic feet of air into the same container.

same senerio but now cooled down back to the original 80 degrees, you could fit 300 cubic feet of air into that container at that same pressure.

compared to the 160 degree example there would be 8.8% more air @ 110 degrees, and 14.9% more air @ 80 degrees.

Now if you went the other way and said you want to get the same 261 cubic feet into the box that you did at 160 degree, but at only 80 degrees it would now only take 24.2 psi to do it. The same amount of air but now at almost 6 pounds lower pressure (or boost).

Any time the air going into the motor is hotter than it was to start with you have what I call "Fake Boost". I say this because some of the pressure in the intake manifold isn't do to more air being squeezed into it. Some of the pressure in the intake is do to the hot air trying to take up more space, as the example above shows.

HTH: Jason

i run 24 lbs of "fake boost".

so the only way to have real boost is to use a liquid intercooler.

in summary.....this thread just gave me a headache.

from what ive seen, the cottons intercooler has very similar horizontal dimensions as the casv2....the vertical dimension is taller. i would think that if u can fit a v2, you can fit a cottons.

frontmount makes the car faster, alky makes the car faster

use them both. i let my alky spray even when i run race gas.
without alky, my duty cycle hits 100% on my lil old 65 lb ers.

Jason,
you and Bruce should go bowling.

surej

i run 24 lbs of "fake boost".

hmmm....
At 110* inlet to the motor on an 80 degree day and 24 psi of boost then about 2.1 pounds of your boost was do to heat.

so the only way to have real boost is to use a liquid intercooler.

hmmm....
An air to air can not compete with a properly sized ice down liquid IC. Air to air IC's can be very effective, but your really limited by ambient temps. Simplicity and price is why the air/air units dominate the market.

Jason, you and Bruce should go bowling.
Sure, I like bowling and a good conversation.

Jason

Here's my planned fmic project up next. Gotta have it recored and blasted to take off the black paint(why paint something that needs air flowing across it? We shall see Need to have some pipes bent and 4 L brackets welded on. I'll post pics

I may sell it b-4 then, but I'll snap the pics as I do it.

Attachments

• tta 008.jpg
    tta 008.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 240