You can type here any text you want

Tuning which way ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboTdr3.8

Is it best to tune through the TT chip or through the translator or both . what seem to work for you , I have the SM and PL .

What are all the little knobs in the translator for , I thought it was tuning device also , let me get this right do I zero all the knobs and then tune from there or what , anybody elese ?

The translator only works as a tuner with the Bailey chip. The wot setting will make a TT chip get rich quicker which may be needed but wot fuel is only changed through the chip itself, in your case with TT chip. The base setting in the translator is set based upon what type of MAF you are using: LT1, LS1, Zo6, etc. Set that and leave it unless you need to tune your idle BL's. I think you need to read up on the translator operation before you start changing the knobs. The TT forum has much info on the use of them.

The translator only works as a tuner with the Bailey chip. The wot setting will make a TT chip get rich quicker which may be needed but wot fuel is only changed through the chip itself, in your case with TT chip. The base setting in the translator is set based upon what type of MAF you are using: LT1, LS1, Zo6, etc. Set that and leave it unless you need to tune your idle BL's. I think you need to read up on the translator operation before you start changing the knobs. The TT forum has much info on the use of them.

Thats the reason I keep asking questions , its beginning to make some sense , this stuff has been a big learning curve to me and Im wanting to do it one time and gain some ground if possiple LOL !!!!!! I would love to scratch the surface some before I start beating on my New TT and not do something that would be stupid and regret it , you know what I mean , This board rocks !!!!!!!

hello; So the translater is just to adapt a newer MAF sensor thats it? And if you tried to tune thru it what would happen? Would the chip just over ride any ajustment that was made?
IBBY

hello; So the translater is just to adapt a newer MAF sensor thats it? And if you tried to tune thru it what would happen? Would the chip just over ride any ajustment that was made?

Maybe someone elese will chime in !!!

IBBY

The Translator is to adapt a newer MAF sensor to the Buick, AND, is a tuning device IF you're running an Extender chip with it. If you're running a TT chip, then the chip takes over many of the tuning duties.

This board rocks !!!!!!!
When you visit a forum to gather information on something you know nothing about,how do you know if the information you're getting is complete. There are a hand full of opinions that are propagated by a few in this community that get repeated/parroted by many. We have so many people using the TT chip and translator. If we were all equally informed we would come to understand what an awesome combo the Translator Gen 2 and the Extender or Extender extreme is. These two items are made to work together to offer a very wide range of tuning ability. The application that the Extender and Translator shines the most in is when using E85. It allows an easy transition from E85 to gasoline and vice versa.

Ttype6 of course hit the nail on the head!! The combination of one of the Translators, and the appropriate Extender/Extender Extreme/Extender Pro are an unbeatable combination. I'm not an E85 guy so I can't address that portion, but I do know the Translators/Extenders and their great capabilities.
While admitedly the TT chips are fine in their own right, if one wants to get every advantage and tuning ability of a given Translator, then go with it's appropriate Extender chip!!

I agree 100%. I had great luck with all my tt chips but the extender with translator is an awesome but still simple combo.

I run an LS1 MAF with a Translator because thats what I put on it years ago but I also run a TT chip which as mentioned over rides my tuning....I set the translator as Eric suggests and tune using my scan master and PL it works very well and I really have no desire to change anything. ;)

hey Amelio; How do you tune if the chip over rides it? I guess you can change fuel pressure but that's about it. Is that true.
IBBY

hello; With the TL in the directions it tells you what to do and I believe that's what the TT guy says. But if you go to his site there's a forum to answer many questions. I've been there and it helped me but I just set it and forgot it. I never thought much on changing things but since it'd been brought up I'm thinking a little different.
go there and tell the group how you made out.
IBBY

I just set it and forgot it.
If your car is running good,that's all you need to do. If you put some xylene or E85 in with gasoline,to increase octane, you could run more boost. If you do this you could then look at changing fuel and timing,otherwise set it and forget it. Even if you left all the settings the same while increasing boost,it would still run great as long as your fuel system was able to add the extra fuel that the extra boost would need. Of course,feedback from an oxygen sensor,knock sensor,and fuel pressure gauge would need to be monitored for best results.

hey Amelio; How do you tune if the chip over rides it? I guess you can change fuel pressure but that's about it. Is that true.
IBBY

sorry if I was confusing....I was just confirming what others had said.....I do not tune through the translator it is set per Eric's setup I would have to pull the cover off the translator to see I dont remember what is is off hand.

Basically the translator is just there to convert the readings from the Ls1 maf to something the the ecm can understand. I set my fuel pressure and never touch it again the rest of my fueling I tune through the TT chip as well as my timing. Since Eric sets up the chips based on your combo the chips base settings are very good. I can run my car on 17psi and not touch the settings and it is very stout....I dive into the chip when I want more.....

TT chips deliver a static amount of fuel at wot. If you run your car at the boost and combo you told eric when you bought the chip, then it'll be close. If you add or take away boost though, the fuel needs to be adjusted for optimum performance.

Back