TURBO 6.0 '87- Build Thread & ?'s

I hope that can of swill is just for size comparison, hate to think of someone consuming such a tasteless beverage....go micro, get a blast with class !

Damn big turbo for sure, will need some triangulated bracing.

yeah I did the same thing. It came in the mail and I couldn't believe how heavy it was. No wonder it cost so much to ship, lol. With that honker, you will have to mount it on the passenger side somewhere, unless you are gonna mount it directly behind the grill. Otherwise there won't be room for the downpipe. Driver's side is out of the question unless you plan on running almost no downpipe at all. PM me your cell number and I can text you a pic of how my brace looks. It's not bolted on yet, but you'll get the idea.

I hope that can of swill is just for size comparison, hate to think of someone consuming such a tasteless beverage....go micro, get a blast with class !

Damn big turbo for sure, will need some triangulated bracing.

C'mon now. There's nothing wrong with good ol' BL. When you're a St. Louis native, you kinda' have to drink the AB/Inbev products.

Yup.

yeah I did the same thing. It came in the mail and I couldn't believe how heavy it was. No wonder it cost so much to ship, lol. With that honker, you will have to mount it on the passenger side somewhere, unless you are gonna mount it directly behind the grill. Otherwise there won't be room for the downpipe. Driver's side is out of the question unless you plan on running almost no downpipe at all. PM me your cell number and I can text you a pic of how my brace looks. It's not bolted on yet, but you'll get the idea.

It's a crazy amount of weight in such a small package.
Ah, ok. See I haven't even had the front end on the car since I've had it nor have I had the Ls in so...we weren't really sure where we would find the space for this thing. Behind the grill won't work. There's probably gonna' be an intercooler there.
I'll PM you. Thanks, Paul Walker! :p

C'mon now. There's nothing wrong with good ol' BL. When you're a St. Louis native, you kinda' have to drink the AB/Inbev products.

Yup.
:p

Location is no excuse to drink an insidpid, pissy yellow beer, as they say, Life is too short to drink cheap beer, and that swill is way overpriced soured water marketed to brain dead college kids, just trying to give your liver a quality reason to shiver <grin> Good luck on the car, should be fun.

NAWWWWWWWWWWZ!

lol.

I'll send you some pics so you can see some mounting options. I don't have my downpipe on right now and it's freakin' cold in my garage so it will have to remain that way for now, but I'll send you some pics of where mine is mounted and the turbo support mount. Hope it's not too late where you live.

Finally sorted out my issues that I was having with getting the car titled and everything. And we finished up the frame. Got it boxed and the "battle boxes" welded in. Should be pretty stout now.
154180_2098178256552_1850585839_n.jpg

550098_2098178536559_229859299_n.jpg

537449_2098178936569_587787598_n.jpg

734538_2098179336579_967684809_n.jpg

While the frame was off, we figured now was as good as any time to go ahead and replace ALL the bushings and mounts so we ordered those, as well.
251819_2076751880906_2023360018_n.jpg

Body should be going back on shortly. Hopefully the battle boxes don't give us too hard of a time when we go to fit the body again. We might have to do some light massaging on the floor pans. We shall see... Once the body is sitting back on, I'll order my cage. We're gonna' get a 10-pt. kit to start off with and modify as we see fit. The goal is to make the cage as hard to see from outside as possible. Again, we shall see...

How do you propose to install the lower 1/2's of the body mts w/ the frame boxed as you have it?

Some simple F'N magic...my cure would have been a welded nutplate/washer under the top frame wall and only an intermediate bushing, car is getting caged., a clearance hole for the bolt and socket would be the only requirement then.

Some simple F'N magic...my cure would have been a welded nutplate/washer under the top frame wall and only an intermediate bushing, car is getting caged., a clearance hole for the bolt and socket would be the only requirement then.

Ok, genius.. What does the fact the car is getting caged, have to do with the body bushings being properly installed??

You need to back away from the bong!:p

Ok, genius.. What does the fact the car is getting caged, have to do with the body bushings being properly installed??

You need to back away from the bong!:p
And you sir the hash pipe... damn old Georgia Hippies, see he had a plan !
Maybe you had some history with a similar self build.....;) and was hoping he had a way out for you !

Looking pretty good and much stronger than the factory noodle.

And you sir the hash pipe... damn old Georgia Hippies, see he had a plan !
Maybe you had some history with a similar self build.....;) and was hoping he had a way out for you !

Looking pretty good and much stronger than the factory noodle.

Yep. Should be a pretty stout bugger now. I'm happy with it.

Damn, you're making a lot of progress on this project. I might have to hit you up so I can come by and check it out! I need hands on experience anyway, so if you need a hand, just hit me up!! Keep up the good work

Where you located? I'm west of stl

The car is at my shop in Bridgeton/Earth City.

Damn, you're making a lot of progress on this project. I might have to hit you up so I can come by and check it out! I need hands on experience anyway, so if you need a hand, just hit me up!! Keep up the good work

I'd like to be farther. ...but other things came up and that's quite alright. Keeps me from spending money so quickly. Unfortunately, the body is still not back on the frame and my beautiful frame is sitting outside. We've been doing some customer cars and trying to finish this Rb20 (Nissan Skyline engine) swap into a '95 Ranger. Need to get that done so we can bring it out to the shows this spring/summer and show what we can do.
I can't take a whole lot of credit for this. It was a team effort. We recently decided to do everything in house so we're gonna' order some chromoly tubing and make the cage from scratch. Haven't decided if I want to paint it black or leave it shiny to show off the pretty TIG work.
When we have everything out of the car for the cage work, we're gonna' mock up the motor mounts, too. We're gonna' see how far we can move it back whilst still allowing semi-easy access to some things if we need to do something like swap out plugs between runs. The plan is to see how far we can go on stock-ish suspension by moving the weight back a bit.

Thanks for the good words.

I've done many rb and sr swaps. I was the first to rb swap a 240 in the stl area back 12 years ago

Jeez, been a little while since I've been on here and with little progress made on the car. Just been so busy with the other shop builds and working on everyone else's cars but my own. But the frame will be under the body today or tomorrow. FINALLY! They I can begin to assemble the car again.
Oh and I actually scored a set of assembled LSA heads with the 2.165" hollow stem Ls3 intake valves, heavy duty Inconel exhaust valves, .660 springs, and Ti retainers. I'm much more excited and comfortable about these going on the motor vs. the 317's.

Damn man. It has been a while since you posted. I was wondering if you had gotten tired of the project and moved on. Nice to hear you've still been making progress

Damn man. It has been a while since you posted. I was wondering if you had gotten tired of the project and moved on. Nice to hear you've still been making progress

Well it certainly looked that way, didn't it? But that is not the case. I got into a funk after thinking about all the money and time this car needs to get finished. So I started putting some money into the GTO so I could have more fun with it while finishing the GN. Bought some BC Racing coilovers with external reservoir, an Ls2 to build and swap in, bought an individual throttle body setup, built and tig'd a 3" stainless exhaust, and got some miscellaneous other bits and pieces.
72359_2125876068980_1645053879_n.jpg

1209404_2327514869824_1145401371_n.jpg

971668_2243093759349_2046859717_n.jpg

And to be honest now that I'm back to working on the GN I'm kind of kicking myself in the ass over all of that. That was a decent sum of money that I'd love to have back so I can get a few things for the car or finish building the engine. My next purchase is pistons so I can go ahead machine my block.

Didn't make a lot of progress after I'd gotten the frame off. It's just one of those "While you're in there..." things so I'm gonna' paint the whole bottom of the car with the frame off. But to do that I have to fix a teeny tiny rust spot in the floor. That means getting the interior and carpet out so I can patch it. This all takes time which is just something I haven't had in a while.
1381558_2376088524135_679367081_n.jpg

1240276_2376061163451_484511232_n.jpg