Turbo Buicks on pump gas

To build a fast pure 93 only setup ramps costs up dramatically. Example build a low 9 second TSM combo and turn the boost down to 16-17.. it will run 10's all day long. The point is the cost to build a low 9 sec combo vs building a 10 second capable combo and run it at higher boost with meth spraying.. there lies the point. There is always a cost associated with going faster.. and the persons ability to absorb that cost.
If I could afford to run race fuel all the time I would. The point is I can't simply put, and still afford to buy things like new tires, safety equipment, new mods, etc..
So the guy that builds the high dollar TSM combo and detunes it to run high 10's... knowing it can go low 9's.. how long does he leave it detuned? How long is he happy going to the track and losing to cars running mid 10's? Or worse.. his buddy that beats him by 1 car length.. Answer this one and you know where you stop.. one has to come to grips with how fast one wants to go.. and what you'll do to get there.

ummmm that is like having a georgous wife that... well you know :p Drive the damm cars like ya stole em. :cool:

ummmm that is like having a georgous wife that... well you know :p Drive the damm cars like ya stole em. :cool:
Exactomundo .. probably the reason so many take the "little blue pill" to realize a potential. o_O

Alky is the little blue pill.. use accordingly :D

So the guy that builds the high dollar TSM combo and detunes it to run high 10's... knowing it can go low 9's.. how long does he leave it detuned? How long is he happy going to the track and losing to cars running mid 10's? Or worse.. his buddy that beats him by 1 car length.. Answer this one and you know where you stop.. one has to come to grips with how fast one wants to go.. and what you'll do to get there.

I get beat all the time in my Buick and Zo6 at the track, but it's still fun. Throw enough new parts at a TR and you can have a relatively reliable 10sec 125-130 mph car you can drive 60 miles each way to the track and pick up PeiWei takeout on the way home with the A/C on and the system up. I have datalogs that say I tried 30+ psi boost, but the trans/converter just don't want to put it down. Oh well, so I back off the boost (wisdom I think) and plan on a new converter and such but it's not like I can't sleep at night knowing my car is 10mph slower than it should be in the 1/4 mile. Lately, the funnest part about the track is just doing a massive burnout as a stress relief.

Exactomundo .. probably the reason so many take the "little blue pill" to realize a potential. o_O

Alky is the little blue pill.. use accordingly :D

Testosterone shots are much better.:)

I'm not out to break the car but I do want to see what it can reasonably and safely run on 93 alky combo. Once that's done, I'll take it to the track occasionally and run it at the annual event at Noble.

Testosterone shots are much better.:)

I'm not out to break the car but I do want to see what it can reasonably and safely run on 93 alky combo. Once that's done, I'll take it to the track occasionally and run it at the annual event at Noble.
Safely run and BOOST are oxymorons :)
What boost is safe..answer would be zero.. past that.. use the shots carefully :D
Stuff breaks.. look at nascar.. top of the line engines.. no turbo.. one lap... pooof there it goes. Built with the best of the best, by the best of the best. At the time it broke, who was racing it was trying to break it. They succeeded in doing so. If not why would you be revving the engine to the moon and trying to get the maximum power out of it.. answer is simple.. its not a daily driver that rarely goes over 2500 rpm's..

I'm with you.. I love racing on cheap pump gas and spraying the motor.. god knows how much money i've saved over the years in fuel costs alone. I also know how I constantly keep chasing a number and looking for the next way to overcome a hurdle.

I get beat all the time in my Buick and Zo6 at the track, but it's still fun. Throw enough new parts at a TR and you can have a relatively reliable 10sec 125-130 mph car you can drive 60 miles each way to the track and pick up PeiWei takeout on the way home with the A/C on and the system up. I have datalogs that say I tried 30+ psi boost, but the trans/converter just don't want to put it down. Oh well, so I back off the boost (wisdom I think) and plan on a new converter and such but it's not like I can't sleep at night knowing my car is 10mph slower than it should be in the 1/4 mile. Lately, the funnest part about the track is just doing a massive burnout as a stress relief.

I'm with you on that......I dont mind being slower because really there is always someone faster....I know my car is a solid 10sec capable but I run lower boost levels and just run 93 At some point I most likely will get the alky going on it and run 20psi but for now the car is extremely reliable....is extremely simple runs mid 11's and I dont have to do a damn thing but go to the pump and hit the go pedal and its a blast on the street.

Can it run faster?????sure it can but I have reached a happy place with the car and enjoy the hell out of it plus I have another hot rod that is more suited for racing and a bike I also drag race so I dont have to beat the snot out of my GN.

If you wanna push your ride and spend lots of time and money then do it if it puts a smile on your face.....thats what its all about:cool:

It's sorta a moot point, basically any car that is really fast with 25lbs of boost will still be stout at 17 lbs. Back in the old days when I was going to the track and having to spend a hour on converting my car from street trim to race trim, 1psi of boost equaled roughly 1mph and approx 1 tenth. I can't answer now, because I don't start off with low boost anymore. The beauty of the Wide Band is you set the A/F where you want it and as you raise boost,the fueling is going to compensate for it. No more of running it pig ass rich so you can then sneak up on the fueling with the boost. I would totally be guessing, but I would be willing to bet that I'm running 11.30-11.40s @ 117-118 with 93 octane only. Also, even though E85 is a pump gas, it is only available in certain locations, nowhere around here.

I can say I've been using Razor's kit for 8 years know and didnt start racin till 2006 , but i will tell you, this has been the BEST MOD that I have done to my car because its the only mob that has paided for itself over and over AGAIN!!!!

IN PUMP GAS WE TRUST!!!!!!!

I can say I've been using Razor's kit for 8 years know and didnt start racin till 2006 , but i will tell you, this has been the BEST MOD that I have done to my car because its the only mob that has paided for itself over and over AGAIN!!!!

IN PUMP GAS WE TRUST!!!!!!!

hahahaha.. I remember him telling me to at least try it.. Finally in 2004 (I think) we gave it a whirl !! NEVER goin back !!! We run our CARS the same boost on an off the track.. To see all these cars running in the 9's, 10's and the 11's with Alky has to make ya think :p BEST mod ever for a Buick or hell even a MAZDA :D

hahahaha.. I remember him telling me to at least try it.. Finally in 2004 (I think) we gave it a whirl !! NEVER goin back !!! We run our CARS the same boost on an off the track.. To see all these cars running in the 9's, 10's and the 11's with Alky has to make ya think :p BEST mod ever for a Buick or hell even a MAZDA :D

AGREED 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you on that......I dont mind being slower because really there is always someone faster....I know my car is a solid 10sec capable but I run lower boost levels and just run 93 At some point I most likely will get the alky going on it and run 20psi but for now the car is extremely reliable....is extremely simple runs mid 11's and I dont have to do a damn thing but go to the pump and hit the go pedal and its a blast on the street.

Can it run faster?????sure it can but I have reached a happy place with the car and enjoy the hell out of it plus I have another hot rod that is more suited for racing and a bike I also drag race so I dont have to beat the snot out of my GN.

If you wanna push your ride and spend lots of time and money then do it if it puts a smile on your face.....thats what its all about:cool:
You are a wise man.....its senseless to max out your engine all the time, I know I have a 10 second car, so I am styling in my beautiful 87 T Type.....no need to waste such a good thing....