Turbo Buicks on pump gas

Starman said:
you will immediately go into the 10's with 21-22 pounds of boost....you time is great right now for 17 pounds..

Not on 93 octane.

You need a lot of rpm potential if you want to fly on 93 octane

Now that I have the Alky, why would anyone want to run around with pump gas only and being restricted to 17 lbs of boost? That is like racing at half throttle, or going to a whore house without your pecker. LOL:D My car now stays on 24 lbs of boost, it is ready to do battle 24-7. Also, the extra timing gives it a crisper throttle response.

Now that I have the Alky, why would anyone want to run around with pump gas only and being restricted to 17 lbs of boost? That is like racing at half throttle, or going to a whore house without your pecker. LOL:D My car now stays on 24 lbs of boost, it is ready to do battle 24-7. Also, the extra timing gives it a crisper throttle response.

Because I don't have a complete alky system I need to get a controller and I am not going to drive around with fuel in my tank in a 100% street car....besides the car wont hold the drag radials now on the street so adding more hp will actually hurt me.... I have run a 110 mixture before on the street and more boost the car is harder to get out of the whole from a dig due to faster spool and more power running lower boost levels is easier on the car I can hook a lil better with less power plus a mid 11sec or so car on the street is pretty stout.....at least in my area

Plus the main principle of mine is keeping things as simple as possible which can be challenging on a TB, so if I can go to the pump get get gas run well in the ll's and not have to do a damn thing else....that is pretty freaking simple in my book.:cool:

I have played with other cars on the street which I know are faster than my car but they could not hang due to them spinning very bad....I am able to pedal my car better with the lower hp levels.....that and I dont really race much on the street anymore so it does not really matter....................

oh an I stay away from the whore houses....it keeps me from getting anything that would make my pecker drip on my shoe;)

Steve, tell me more about the "extra timing"....how much timing do you run?

Dennis Hogan has run a 10.16 @ 136+ on Pump gas and dual nozzle methanol. StageII 274", TA Eliminator heads, TA headers, 215/220 Hyd Roller cam, TA oil pump, 200-4R built by Dave Splett (425) 774-4966, 80 lb injectors, STOCK ECM with Eric Marshall chip, Stock location intercooler, Three Muffler system in 2.5", Drag radials, HR Parts rear sway bar, 'glass hood and bumpers, full interior, and a real street car. With a 3.8 liter 109 block, Champion heads, it just ran a 10.34 @128 (while I was freshening up his stageII). This is the same car that made it into the top 32 on PINKS in Seattle. We had THRASHED to get an engine built to make it to the race. Barely made it and he tuned it to a 10.50 figuring that would be the break point. Wrong guess, though. The break point was 10.32 give or take. It is a great little street car. It'll scare the life outta you if you've never riddin in a low ten second street car. It is church mouse quiet and runs like Godzilla! Ride is smooth and quiet. Definately going fast with class.

Dennis Hogan has run a 10.16 @ 136+ on Pump gas and dual nozzle methanol. StageII 274", TA Eliminator heads, TA headers, 215/220 Hyd Roller cam, TA oil pump, 200-4R built by Dave Splett (425) 774-4966, 80 lb injectors, STOCK ECM with Eric Marshall chip, Stock location intercooler, Three Muffler system in 2.5", Drag radials, HR Parts rear sway bar, 'glass hood and bumpers, full interior, and a real street car. With a 3.8 liter 109 block, Champion heads, it just ran a 10.34 @128 (while I was freshening up his stageII). This is the same car that made it into the top 32 on PINKS in Seattle. We had THRASHED to get an engine built to make it to the race. Barely made it and he tuned it to a 10.50 figuring that would be the break point. Wrong guess, though. The break point was 10.32 give or take. It is a great little street car. It'll scare the life outta you if you've never riddin in a low ten second street car. It is church mouse quiet and runs like Godzilla! Ride is smooth and quiet. Definately going fast with class.

wow! that is getting done sounds like a hell of a street car

Steve, tell me more about the "extra timing"....how much timing do you run?

I obviously can't answer for him, but I have my 1-2 gear timing cranked up to 27*, which is 4* over the chip baseline(I left the 3-4 gear at baseline) The lowend throttle response is greatly improved. I may actually try another degree and see if there is any change.

Last Friday night on 93/alky, my 87 GN ran a 10.99 @ 124.79 on a test pass on 19-20 lbs of boost with a no boost launch. 60 ft was 1.881.

Ended up the night with a 10.447 @ 128.92 on 21-22 lbs of boost. 60 fo0t was 1.499.

Depending on the weather, going to the track this Friday to see what it will do with 25 lbs of boost. Last spring before the new tune, it went from
10.428 @ 129.79 on 24 lbs of boost with a 1.491 60' to 10.373 @ 131.88 on a 1.582 60' while breaking 3 teeth off the ring gear and still ran best ever MPH on back half of the track at 27.11.

Last Friday night on 93/alky, my 87 GN ran a 10.99 @ 124.79 on a test pass on 19-20 lbs of boost with a no boost launch. 60 ft was 1.881.

Ended up the night with a 10.447 @ 128.92 on 21-22 lbs of boost. 60 fo0t was 1.499.

Depending on the weather, going to the track this Friday to see what it will do with 25 lbs of boost. Last spring before the new tune, it went from
10.428 @ 129.79 on 24 lbs of boost with a 1.491 60' to 10.373 @ 131.88 on a 1.582 60' while breaking 3 teeth off the ring gear and still ran best ever MPH on back half of the track at 27.11.
Wow that's "getting it done" times right there!!! !! Where did your signature go?? Wanted to see your build running those #'s

Alky is the way to go for a street car, cruise around on pump 93 and if you get on it for whatever reason it's there. Me, I rarely get past 5 psi boost on the street, so I never use much alky. But I can drive to the track and not touch tires or tune or anything and have fun there and drive back knowing its faster than a stock C6 Z06 even from a roll and if I lock the converter it picks up 30+ mph from 1/8 to 1/4 mile. I don't have much time to mess with the car anymore so I am keeping it simple.

Wow that's "getting it done" times right there!!! !! Where did your signature go?? Wanted to see your build running those #'s

lookin at your sig you have the capability of high 9s. You have more stuff than we had except for our 67 turbo.

Alky is the way to go for a street car, cruise around on pump 93 and if you get on it for whatever reason it's there. Me, I rarely get past 5 psi boost on the street, so I never use much alky. But I can drive to the track and not touch tires or tune or anything and have fun there and drive back knowing its faster than a stock C6 Z06 even from a roll and if I lock the converter it picks up 30+ mph from 1/8 to 1/4 mile. I don't have much time to mess with the car anymore so I am keeping it simple.

93 is not readily available for me, about 30 mile round trip to pay $1+ per gallon premium. I've found that by reducing the timing by 2 degrees, the car runs as well if not better on the street but I stick with 93 at the track and run slicks. Old habits die hard.:)

lookin at your sig you have the capability of high 9s. You have more stuff than we had except for our 67 turbo.

That's where I am trying to go. Hope to run find out tomorrow night.

I don't have your talent and experience in tuning and a lighter and better driver like Melissa would also help.

To build a fast pure 93 only setup ramps costs up dramatically. Example build a low 9 second TSM combo and turn the boost down to 16-17.. it will run 10's all day long. The point is the cost to build a low 9 sec combo vs building a 10 second capable combo and run it at higher boost with meth spraying.. there lies the point. There is always a cost associated with going faster.. and the persons ability to absorb that cost.
If I could afford to run race fuel all the time I would. The point is I can't simply put, and still afford to buy things like new tires, safety equipment, new mods, etc..
So the guy that builds the high dollar TSM combo and detunes it to run high 10's... knowing it can go low 9's.. how long does he leave it detuned? How long is he happy going to the track and losing to cars running mid 10's? Or worse.. his buddy that beats him by 1 car length.. Answer this one and you know where you stop.. one has to come to grips with how fast one wants to go.. and what you'll do to get there.

That's where I am trying to go. Hope to run find out tomorrow night.

I don't have your talent and experience in tuning and a lighter and better driver like Melissa would also help.

well her car was 3660#s but then add for the rest of the roll bar for 9s.. So I think she is in the 3725+ area. NO weight has been taken out of the car.. From AC (works) to power seat .. :cool: