turbo chevy in a g-body?

EightSecV6 said:
I'll try to snap some tomorrow, I have it almost gutted enough for the chassis shop, it looks rough!

Try Harder Bill!!!

salvageV6 said:
Yeah the "Gestapo" is real heavy handed on this PG site. :rolleyes:

I think this pretty much says it all. :)

"To all who wanted to save me ----- you did. I decided to sell the buick "T" with turbo V6 intact. I finally came to my senses. "

Back to polishing my jack boots.... :p

I meant no offense to you or anyone in particular.
It is my observation that several members in our community are not very progressive or tolerant of people trying to be more competitive and reliable racing with a V-8.

Cheers :biggrin:

Err? lol.

Lets run it down in a summary:

1. Buying and paying more for a Turbo Regal then swapping to a V8 isnt cost effective. Awesome deals are not the norm... there are always exlusions so lets exclude them
2. Already owning said Turbo Regal and swapping is only slightly more cost effective.

If the reasoning is JUST money, ie cheaper parts, then you are dollars ahead to sell the Turbo Regal and mod a more generic G body. A car that needs THAT much power needs all the same chassis work anyway so the advantage of a Turbo base is nil. Even a rough GN brings decent money and can do a lot toward a buildup of your choice.

3. Its your car (your = anyone) and you can do what you want.
4. Coming to a Buick specific arena, pimarily V6 oriented, and looking for support on a V8 swap just isnt going to go over smoothly.

I want anyone that seeks it to go as fast as they desire. I just dont see the logic in most cases for a swap. Maybe you already have the driveline laying around? Great - but proceeds from a TR will not only buy its generic replacement but extra $$ besides. For the rest, see my above post as I offered examples of wiggle room.

GNandGS said:
Err? lol.

Lets run it down in a summary:

1. Buying and paying more for a Turbo Regal then swapping to a V8 isnt cost effective. Awesome deals are not the norm... there are always exlusions so lets exclude them

I agree with you!

2. Already owning said Turbo Regal and swapping is only slightly more cost effective.

I have to disagree here, we had about $20,000 into the roller that we could probably sell for $6 or $7K. It was more cost effective to sell the v6 and keep the car that sell complete and start over

If the reasoning is JUST money, ie cheaper parts, then you are dollars ahead to sell the Turbo Regal and mod a more generic G body. A car that needs THAT much power needs all the same chassis work anyway so the advantage of a Turbo base is nil. Even a rough GN brings decent money and can do a lot toward a buildup of your choice.

If you are starting from scratch you are 100% right!!!

3. Its your car (your = anyone) and you can do what you want.

You must be smart because I like what you are saying.

4. Coming to a Buick specific arena, pimarily V6 oriented, and looking for support on a V8 swap just isnt going to go over smoothly.

Yes, I think I want you to run for president!

I want anyone that seeks it to go as fast as they desire. I just dont see the logic in most cases for a swap. Maybe you already have the driveline laying around? Great - but proceeds from a TR will not only buy its generic replacement but extra $$ besides. For the rest, see my above post as I offered examples of wiggle room.

Some very good points:

The reason we did the V-8 in Chris's Car was because we already did the
10 second 109 Block Thing and the low 9 second Stage 2 Thing.
The Car's Chassis was set up and has several thousand dollars put in it.
In addition Chris has raced the car since 1987 and he is Synonymous with Turbo Regals on the Streets and Tracks of our area.
The V-6 could just not compete in any of the classes that our car was set up for, so a call to Bob Rieger and Ken Duttweiler and 600 more HP is on it's way.
In hind site I would have purchased a regular regal and put the v-8 in it but it was to late.

You could pretty much use the same argument to making any TR a full race car and taking away from it's collectibility. Think about what Buddy Cox did to a real GNX???

I made the mistake of taking apart a nice GN to make a race car.
I wish I would have fallowed LC and just bought a regal.
The problem was when I was 21 I did not know that I needed 1500HP. :eek:
Now at 31 I can not afford it.... :(

At 35 I cant afford what I have either... lets wait til we have both passed 40 and compare notes. heh. Maybe it gets better?

President? bwahaahahahaha

I have no idea what you guys have and purposely didnt click any links or lookup profiles. I make my "arguments" in a generic way pointed at no particular person. Chevy powered Buicks are welcome at my house but I will give you a hard time. I like a lot of cars. I love Buicks. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

GNandGS I like the way you look at things.We have a single turbo sbc buick and a single turbo corvette being built in our shop as we speek.There has also been two turbo mustangs and a very fast s2 buick built out in our shop so all is welcome at our house.I just dont under stand why you can have a v6 powered mustang (which we all know people around here hate mustangs but I also think those are cool cars) and not a turbo powered v8 buick.We all know that a turbo v8 in a g body is a custom set up because know one makes headers for these cars.jmo

Oh, make no mistake! Im a hypocrite. A Buick engine in another car doesnt bother me a bit.

That said, if I have a built up MC/SS my pref is for a 502! 302s/351/428-9's in a Ford if I have my way... etc.

malibuick231 said:
GNandGS I like the way you look at things.We have a single turbo sbc buick and a single turbo corvette being built in our shop as we speek.There has also been two turbo mustangs and a very fast s2 buick built out in our shop so all is welcome at our house.I just dont under stand why you can have a v6 powered mustang (which we all know people around here hate mustangs but I also think those are cool cars) and not a turbo powered v8 buick.We all know that a turbo v8 in a g body is a custom set up because know one makes headers for these cars.jmo

Kooks and Dawson have almost off the shelf twin headers for a sbc 23* Head in a Regal. Pltase tell us about the cars you built, it shoulds like some nice stuff coming out of your shop.

malibuick231 said:

V6 powered Mustangs suck!!!! :biggrin: :tongue:

I haven't read all of the posts for this thread. Don't have to. Just do what you want. I myself would probably do an NA Regal, just because you could probably get the shell cheaper, but as far as "chopping up" a Turbo Regal to do it: Well, like has been said, you won't be real popular with alot on here. I say do what ever you want. There are alot of people selling parts on here and other sites that say things like. 87 GN motor for sale, came from low mileage car. That same person is selling the tranny, the rear, the interior, the doors, and the rolling chassis. Noone complains to them about "chopping up" a good turbo car. Why is that? Don't know. Don't care. Again, do what you want to whatever you want. Me? I like to buy the parts from rusted out junks, and put them in something that didn't start out as a turbo. Does that mean that the NA croud should get mad at me? Who cares? I don't. Have fun. Go fast. Be safe. Post often.

I payed $1700 for my buick so I dont have alot in the shell.Which came with the rear end I am going to use along with the exhaust.As far as cutting one up their is no difference in what I have done to mine as to what people in tsm ans tso do to their cars.All you would have to do is put a wiring harness and a v6 back in it and it would be stock agine.
John the buick belongs to STP he done most of the work on it with a little help from friends.It has been a 10.28 in the quarter on nitto drag radials.
One of the mustangs belongs to turbo cobra from turbomustangs.He has sence moved to Dallas.It has a 331ci engine with a 76gtq and on drag radials has been in the 9s
The second mustang was a 91 coupe with a 4.6 from a 92 town car all stock with a cobra intake and 70 q trim made 604 hp but never got any times from this car.The oiling system in those engines couldnt supply the engine.
The third mustang was a 86 gt with a 351ci crate engine that made 571hp on pump gas at 12 psi.This car has been 7.0s in the 1/8on 17 in drag radials.This is the car that made me want to go to a v8.
The corvette used to be a twin turbo car with a stock L98 engine with a accell lower and runners.This car made 614hp at 20psi but kept blowing up 700r's.We put a 4l80e trans in it and dropped a push rod.I now have this block in my car and he now has a 409ci small block with a 88 going on it.shooting for 1000whp on this car.
My old car was a 79 malibu aka malibuick with a stock bottom end,Champion gn1 heads,weber 206/206 cam( the best cam I ever had for street strip),55s,t66,And a tech2 engine managment.It made 521whp at 20 psi and had been a best 10.75@127.
Thats about it till the vette and my buick are done.

In regard to defiling a Turbo Regal with a SBC...

What's will the racers do in 5 or 10 years when the supply of Stage stuff is about dried up? Aftermarket options are already limited and may not be much better in the future. Worse yet, what will the street guys do when TR-specific parts like radiator hoses, heater hoses, coil packs and modules, wastegate solenoids, and cam sensors become unavailable? Anyone receiving Kirban's e-mails is aware of the finite supplies of some of these things. It's unlikely that an aftermarket supplier will step up and reproduce this stuff because of the limited market.
In the past few years I've noticed that mainstream suppliers have dropped the Buick applications from their catalogs. Things like pistons, camshafts, gaskets and fasteners are either special order or must be purchased from a specialty supplier. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I have wondered if the hassles associated with maintaining the Buick V6 a few years from now will make more folks consider the option of a 'corporate' engine transplant.

Just some thoughts...

Anything is possible.

Likely TR's will sit in garages and fields rotting away if parts cant be found and THEN the next owner will swap something in because he likes the body style. Much like we do no with street-rods and the like (Studebaker!).

Where there is a will there is a way. Ignition components are/were shared across models and even some aftermarket coil setups look similar. I wouldnt worry too much about the diehards... they will do just like the others have done when parts are rare. Nailheads are a weak example. Fireball 8's might be better.

I have an additional theory that some folks have been buying up supplies of parts for "later" to resell them. This means you will be able to get anything the aftermarket cant supply but just have to pay more for it.

Edit: I think the racing will taper off except for some nostalgic stuff.

<<87 Grand National 355 sbc, AFR cnc race ported heads, Lazer custom solid roller cam, Wilson TB with twin PTE 74 gtq's tan 0.68 ar, FAST XFI, MSD Digital 7, MSD Coil, MSD Crank Trigger, MSD Boost Controller, FAST Data Logger, MSD Wires, 160lb injectors, Weldon 2035 pump, Weldon Regulator, Weldon Dial-a-Pump, Innovate LM-1 and XD-1, 2000hp custom Liquid-to-Air Intercooler by Bell Intercoolers, dash by Precision Instruments, T400 by Trans King, Art Carr Converter, Currie Ent. Ford 9", Wolfe Single sway bar rear, Simmons FR-17's and Weld Pro Stars, Nitto and MT, Spring Launcher and Parachute by Stroud, Racing Suite by Crow Enterprises, Simpson Super Bandit Helmet, Tuning and custom fabrication by Brian Macy at www.horsepowerconnection.com >>

That's what I'm talkin about! The purists can say what they want, if I have to look elsewhere for innovative ideas then so be it. If the guy likes the car the way he's done it & he's done it well, all the power to him for having something different that the next guy. Especially if it all actually works as good as it looks on paper. Personally, I'm kinda tired of changing friggin headgaskets & looking at the 4 bolts per hole & shaking my head every time. I love my white T, but it's no show car & a TTV8 HAS crossed my mind . . .