turbo chevy in a g-body?

IDISAPR

Anyone ever see on the web any info on turbocharged small block chevy's? I was toying the idea of doing this to my turbo-T.
any info or leads appreciated.:cool:

Yes Lou Czarnota did it back in the 90's and that car is still around today back east.

Chris Chow has done it with a twin turbo cehvy small block, do a search on the site.

you will not be very popular doing it if you do.

Do it to a NA Regal if you want a v8 turbo.

Thanks for the help and opinion!:D
Oh,I'm not in to being popular I'm in to going fast.;)
Isn't that what raceing is all about?
Anyone else?:eek:

Banks Engineering can help you.

It would be an interesting project in an unoriginal car, but it's ultimaltely your choice of course.

Somebody on this board has a GN with an LT1 chevy engine and a T70 turbo. Neat idea. Im sure it hauls ass.

swap out the motor from a 307 T-type, an MC SS or a 442. A 307 T would get you less hell, but a 442 or an MC SS would be badass. I've decided that a Monte SS LC2 powered would be a nice setup, and probably underestimated a lot on the street to boot. There's a 442 floating around town, I was walking up to it and thought it was a T or a GN in the distance, it was too nice to be a typical 80s Regal. The 442 also has the extra advantage of an 8.5 diff to boot.

If you do it in an official tubo buick, everyone will look down on you. Get a NA regal and do it. Its a stupid idea when the Turbo 6 has just as much potential as the v8. look at hartline. hes just as fast as chow. Look at billie anderson, single turbo v6. more than a second faster than chows TT v8.

Ask yourself, does that Turbo 6 emblem under your hood mean nothing?

Originally posted by 87grandnational
If you do it in an official tubo buick, everyone will look down on you. Get a NA regal and do it. Its a stupid idea when the Turbo 6 has just as much potential as the v8. look at hartline. hes just as fast as chow. Look at billie anderson, single turbo v6. more than a second faster than chows TT v8.

Ask yourself, does that Turbo 6 emblem under your hood mean nothing?

Not to sh!t on your parade, but Chow's car has run 8.00 @175mph and is the fastest stock suspension G-body (not to take anything away from Cal or his accomplishments, but the fastest he has run as far as I know is 8.57 @159mph)... As far as Bill's car that is a tube chassis car that weighs around 2600lbs (Chow's car is around 3500lbs so he is close to 1000lbs heavier than Bill and has a stock suspension) so comparing him to Chris is like comparing an apple to an orange....

The most power out of a Buick V6 so far is right around 1500-1600hp and the Turbo SBC and SBF V8s have easily made 2000-2400hp..... I love the Turbo 6, but I'm also a realist!

Amen, Brother Steve!!!

Chris can run 8.0s all day on a pro tree in competition.
New turbos are coming that can add up to 500HP.
Chows motor in a 2600lbs car would go mid 6s and already has.

I also am not taking anything away from Cal.
I hope my car is almost as fast as his one day.
I know it will never be as nice!
Bill Anderson's Car speaks for it's self.

Yep, as everyone said, do it to a factory Turbo car and you will not be very popular in here, or any other TR site, but it is your decision. :rolleyes:

I'm still working on mine. The headers are done. Now I have to lower the bottom of the core support a few inches so I can move the radiator a little more forward to gain some room between the turbo and water pump. The mid plate also needs some notching for downpipe clearance.

With a turbo sbc you can make around 900-1000 on pump gas. I plan to make around 1400-1500 and keep it together where I would have been reeaallly pushing a V6 to make that. I am actually enjoying buying things without having to wait months and months.

Lou doesn't post here I don't believe.

Chris Chow is/was an outstanding member :rolleyes: that gave him a chance at notoriety or shame.

You make the call. ;)

I prefer his tech. help over his cars engine choice. :p

If you buy the car and cut it up and put the engine in it, hey it's your car do what you want with it, not too many here can help you with it.... Nor want to.

That was pretty much established via a Poll last year.

Guess it's time to buy a Monte for the demolition derby next year. :eek:

Fastest stock supension big whoop. Is there a class for that somewhere? Must be a "special" one.

It ain't or won't be a TurboBuick when you are done it will be a Chebby.

Just my .02.

Salvage

It will actually look much better than a Monte. I'm sure you agree that the Buick is a much better looking car.

I bought my N/A regal from an old lady in town. I rescued mine and now I am doing what I want with it.

There are heads up classes which require "stock suspension" so yes it does matter. Ever try running 7's on stock suspension? Chris might have to change spark plugs a few times a year and never hurt his engine. That's almost impossible when limited to a small engine.

IDISAPR

Try going to turbomustangs.com In the forums they now have a chevy section and there are quite a few G-body turbo cars going together. Several buicks included. I hope to post some pics after the holidays of what I have so far. It looks nice with that big GT47 on there.

Basically a good stock block with a good steel crank, rod's, J.E's will make 800-1000 hp and be very reliable. I have got some help from a guy with a PTE mid frame 88 on a SBC and he runs 9.0's on 93 octane.

My car didn't come with a "stock suspension" Wolfe bar. :p

Just goes to show you about race classes and rules. ;)

Actually the Buick and Chevy are pretty much the same thing which is why you should use a Chebby body with a Chebby engine, kinda makes sense if you think about it. :)

I like all G bodies even more so if the original motor is still in the car.

No need to bother with turbo bodies for those kinds of projects in MHO. Obviously Dusty isn't. :cool:

Which is worth about .02.

I had a super nice, mid 10 second, 20K mile 87 GN but couldn't even make myself fix it for the TSM class so I sold it to a couple who now cruise and show it. I wanted to do a 02 body style camaro with the turbo motor but I hate working on a car that 1/2 of the motor is under the dash. Don't care for the monte SS body. I like the way the Regal looks, especially sittin down on some 29.5x10.5's. It still looks like a T-Type and is different than the hundreds of old chevy's and mustangs that are at the track now.

I don't have to like what you do and you don't have to like what I do. Agree to disagree I guess.

Thank you everyone for there thoughts. I will lay it on the table. I have a mint GN in the garage(for cruising) I drove away from my wedding recep. in it and will never sell it.. I saved this 204,000 mile limited "T" from the grave to become a project,learning curve,race car. I modified it the way I wanted and dont care anything about resale or who it ticks off. Bottom line is I like the regal body style and I want to go fast...........................
My main reasoning for this would be for the ease of obtaining a wide variety of parts. You can get cheverolet engine parts anywhere,and at less expence than a turbo buick. Needles to say the comments from the people at the track about "you mean it's a v6?"dont impress me as much as the #'s on the scoreboard!

:rolleyes:

Dusty,I'll be in touch.

Well if "numbers on the board" are all that matters find you a find you a Gremlin or something to butcher. :rolleyes: