turbo drain line leaking

GNRick

Retired member
I just installed my new turbo (6157e) but I can't get the oil drain line to stop leaking. I've tried a couple different gaskets. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I ran into the same problem with my new 6162e, and found that the new bolts I used to secure the drain line with were just a tad to long. I replaced the bolts with slightly shorter ones, and it took care of the problem. The bolts looked like they pulled the drain hose up tight, but they actually weren't.

Use studs instead of bolts (takes care of the problem Dave H was referring to) and RTV on the gasket does seem to help. Also make sure there isn't a leak somewhere else. I was cursing up a storm when I thought my drain line was leaking, until I calmed down enough to realize there was a small trickle of oil coming out of the feed line on top, making it's way down the turbo, and then running down the drain line.

I ran into the same problem with my new 6162e, and found that the new bolts I used to secure the drain line with were just a tad to long. I replaced the bolts with slightly shorter ones, and it took care of the problem. The bolts looked like they pulled the drain hose up tight, but they actually weren't.
The bolt closest to the radiator is much longer than the other bolt. I thought it worked ok, since the previous turbo didn't leak. I'll try a shorter bolt. Thanks for the info.

I used rtv on my gasket to get it to stop leaking.
Can you elaborate on this? Should I use some sticky glue to hold the gasket to the drain line, then rtv on top of the gasket? Thanks.

Use studs instead of bolts (takes care of the problem Dave H was referring to) and RTV on the gasket does seem to help. Also make sure there isn't a leak somewhere else. I was cursing up a storm when I thought my drain line was leaking, until I calmed down enough to realize there was a small trickle of oil coming out of the feed line on top, making it's way down the turbo, and then running down the drain line.
I had the oil leaking from the brass fitting and from the feed line itself. I found I needed that tape wrapped around the threads on both fittings to stop the leak. Been fighting with this all weekend and I'm pooped!

I just smeared a light coating of orange rtv on both sides of the gasket with my finger, then proceeded with the explatives trying to get the bolts started :mad: Man they suck. The side of the drain tube towards the compressor was tight against the new turbo I installed last summer so i ended up filing and grinding on the edge of it a bit. It seamed to help but was still a bear to get the bolts started. No I didn't grind on the new turbo.:eek:

I took my drain line off (somewhat of a PITA). Put a straight edge on it and it was not flat at all. It was warped from tightening the bolts too tight. I took it over to the grinder and held it flat against the side of the grinding wheel and flattened it perfectly. No more leak.