turbo for 11.2-11.5 range on 24psi??

1985GN

Breaking parts
whats a good turbo to run for mid to low 11's on about 24-25psi?? i was looking at a PT-54 or 53? let me know which one i should get. thanks

You should be able to do it on ported stock heads using your TE44 with a little more cam.

hmmm interesting i have ported heads going on with a bigger cam to when the engine gets rebuilt. i may still look to upgrade to another one though.

I used to run the PT-54 and it runs strong! Its gonna be about your best bet to running low to mid 11's without changing stall or injectors. Anything bigger than a 54 and you will need a bigger stall and some 50's. With your mods, your gonna need some good tuning to get down faster than 11.30's. Some 11.50's shouldnt be to tough though! Hope that helps!

i have 50's going in it with a 3200 stall so thise 2 things are not a prob here. im just looking for a turbo to upgrade to when the engine is done.

don't waste your money on anything smaller than a 63E or 45A (but you'll need more stall.......3600 about right)

True, my next turbo is going to be a TE63. Until then, the TE44 isn't too small to go 11's. I ran high 11's @115 on my old setup, 37# inj, 210/210 HR cam, D5 converter and 17 psi boost. Now I have the 3000 stall, 50# inj, so I should be able to give it the 24# boost on the '44 and go mid to low 11's before stepping up to the TE63. I'm gonna try it anyway.

Altho I agree with Woody in regard to a 63E, etc. as the next logical step up if one wants to go from mild to serious, a slightly smaller alternative that would probably work well with your converter would be a TE61/62.

One thing to note, as you improve the air flow capabilities of the engine, smaller turbos may have difficulty in providing sufficient volume to maintain higher levels of boost. The turbo then becomes the cork rather than the heads or cam.

I'm going to agree with Steve on the TE-61, it's a great choice for a street/strip car & has PLENTY of power for your low 11's goal.

I run one on my car ( built shortblock / stock heads car freshened with a 3 angle valve job) with the pte .63 exhaust housing & a 3200 rpm 9/11" converter and have been MORE than happy with it. Spool up is even quicker than stock, it'll pull mid 1.8 60 ft's launching off idle & high 1.5's so far launching at 10lbs of boost. Car runs consistent 11.4's@119.xx & I am still messing with a low timing street chip, xylene blend & a moderate ~22lbs of boost.

Doug C.

see the first part of my sig about the 49 turbo

the 44 will go mid 11's with a good motor ...

the next step from there whould be to the 63 since at that point your looking to make some power and I dont like the Idea of going in the 10's with a small shaft turbo.

63 is a big shaft turbo and will be much more reliable at higher hp levels