Turbo for stock longblock?

HIPSI

I'm still trying to decide on which turbo to run on my T-Type. I really like the TA-61 that is currently installed, but it is in need of a rebuild. Are any of the newer turbos PROVEN to outperform the TA-61 on a stock longblock/converter combo? Combo in sig. Thanks.

Unopened Stockblock

Have Limit rebuild the ta61.I'm told by those "in the know" that the ta61 is comparable to the 6152e.

I believe the TE62 was the first to run 10's on a stock longblock (Tim Stockwell) long ago. The TE44/TA49 has been 10's on an unopened engine also. Any of the newer generations of turbos SHOULD be at least as good but dont think it will happen at 25psi or less because it wont. Plan on 30+psi and c16 or import fuel and a really good tune for a while.

Bison TA61 was Stockwell's huffer into the 10's.See recipes at gnttype.org.

Bison I forgot to mention that Stockwell had no internal engine work whatsoever.Subtract 2 psi for a ported set of irons,a newer intercooler (stock locate) such as PTE slic (subtract at least 1 to 2 psi for pressure drop across the intercooler) and a tighter calibration and I think Ta61 will get you into the tens about 27 to 29 psi depending on air quality and quality of the hook.This is predicated on a motor with some internal work.There are other enhancements beside a cam which will lower the pressure.PSI boost is what I'm not using for combustion.I don't mean to steal your thunder because most of what you have said is directionally correct.

Bison I forgot one thing.Stockwell did hurt his motor when the car was nosing over and may not have been sure of what was going on.He ran 10's on a broke engine at 32 psi (he was blowing oil out the fill stick tube).He may not have needed 32 psi to break into the 10's on a healthy "unopened" motor.Just thinking out loud.

I'm still trying to decide on which turbo to run on my T-Type. I really like the TA-61 that is currently installed, but it is in need of a rebuild. Are any of the newer turbos PROVEN to outperform the TA-61 on a stock longblock/converter combo? Combo in sig. Thanks.

Have it rebuilt as a 6152 for 10's:)

Fellow member 1nasty69z put his 87T into the 10's on a 61 turbo. I cant' recall if it was a TE61 or PT61... but 10.93 & 10.97 @ 121-122 were the numbers he ran on 93/alky.

His motor was bone stock, with Comp 980 springs.

If your comparing a 6152s to a ta61 the 61 will lose.However both the 6152e & the ta61 push 61cfm/min of air at some temperature.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. One thing to consider is that I am running the stock torque converter and plan to keep doing so. I am merely asking if any of the newer billet wheeled turbos can make as much or more power as my TA-61 AND spool just as well using the stock converter. If not, I will just get my 61 rebuilt as it has worked well so far. Thanks.

Bison I forgot to mention that Stockwell had no internal engine work whatsoever.Subtract 2 psi for a ported set of irons,a newer intercooler (stock locate) such as PTE slic (subtract at least 1 to 2 psi for pressure drop across the intercooler) and a tighter calibration and I think Ta61 will get you into the tens about 27 to 29 psi depending on air quality and quality of the hook.This is predicated on a motor with some internal work.There are other enhancements beside a cam which will lower the pressure.PSI boost is what I'm not using for combustion.I don't mean to steal your thunder because most of what you have said is directionally correct.
I know he had a stock longblock. Subtract more like 6 or 7 psi for a good set of heads and intercooler. I dont know of anyone who has done it under 30 psi with an unopened engine at full weight with a ****ty intercooler. Very possible even with a dutt neck stocker though. Dont worry i know plenty about physics. It takes plenty of pressure to run 10's on a stock longblock.A cam wont lower the pressure by itself either. Once you do heads, cam, turbo, intecooler and have a good tune you make huge hp gains even at very low boost levels. Stockwell was over 30 psi to go about 123-124mph from what i recall. At 28.5psi i went 133.4mph with a simple combo. The engine in the car now that is only 2ci more displacement will run 130mph at roughly 21psi and probably 137-138mph at 28psi with a little 3 bolt. Charge air temp at 21 psi is 85-90*:biggrin: Fwiw you should be running 10.50-10.6 at 28-29psi with your parts

Bison I forgot one thing.Stockwell did hurt his motor when the car was nosing over and may not have been sure of what was going on.He ran 10's on a broke engine at 32 psi (he was blowing oil out the fill stick tube).He may not have needed 32 psi to break into the 10's on a healthy "unopened" motor.Just thinking out loud.

That is very common when trying to run a big number.

Bison I'd be happy to tap the "nineties" at 25 psi.My motor has a "worked" shortblock but not forged.