Turbo gone bad

kmtwig

Hello Turbo Freaks, I have a 1987 GN with a TA52, front mount, 50# injectors, TT chip, and alcohol injection. The engine internals are stock. I love this car, and it goes like a bat out of hell!! my question is, since the turbo is toast, and I can't afford to replace or have it repaired right now, what would happen if I put the stock turbo back on with the present set up? Any help would be appreciated. Turbotwig

id want to know why the turbo failed first. Throwing another on could make it fail for the same reasons the first one did. Otherwise there is no downside except the power potential will be less.

You'll need a new chip with the stock turbo and alchy unless you already have one, but if the funds are not there then this is probably the best way to go for now.

ks

Thanks for the info, Bison and Kevins, when I get the turbo off I'll make sure I know what went wrong. I suspect a seal or something gave out, allowing oil to pass thru. (I've never taken one apart) kmtwig

I'm running a stock turbo (for now) on an aluminum headed stroker 109. It is too small... but it is an aweful lot of fun. It makes 21 psi boost at the shift point but falls to 12 psi by 5700 RPM..... and the WG is as tight as I can get it.

Yes it will work......just isn't the perfect solution.