turbo light system ?

flyn brian

with all this technology why cant some one make a staging light strickly for turbo cars. i mean last bulb lit it doent start for 10 to 15 sec giving time to get on the converter and boost ? seems to me it would make a turbo car more comfortable and more consistant ? any thoughts on this..

Ain't happening IMO at general track races, but maybe at Buick turbo events it's a possibility though.

Like BOP said .aint hap'n.As a brackett racer i had to develope my own stratgey to combat the disadvantages of brackett racing a turbo car.If you roll in first my opponet would on purposely take his own sweet time to stage,im on the converter at 3/4/5lbs of boost for 12/15 sec heating up,of course the hotter the engine is the slower the e.t. thus killing your consistancy/cant run you dial in.On the other hand you try to roll in last, you have to have your launch boost set before you're stage,otherwise they're gonna drop the tree to quick. You still not gonna run your dial because they drop the tree before you build your boost.Thats where we have to get creative ...most tracks in the southeast recommeand courtesy staging,,which means you turn on one bulb at a time{car 1 pre-stage..car 2 pre-stage,then either can roll in and turn on their stage lite}.My trick{ let the other car pre-stage first} then i roll in second and turn my first lite and dont stop unti my second lite comes on. thus putting pressure on your opponet to stage.Of course it only take my car about 1.5 sec or less to get 3-4lbs of
boost .of course the quick spooling te44 and 4.10 gears eliminates the need for 10lbs boost launches to get 1.57/1.55 60ft times.However this does takes practice and WILL NOT be perfected over nite.Me!. well i run between25/30 brackett races a yesr{120 plus passes a year} so you can see how many hits i get at the tree a year.The trick to my car"s consistency is that i never run it wide-open. 20lbs max . And always try to get the best reaction time possible.

with all this technology why cant some one make a staging light strickly for turbo cars. i mean last bulb lit it doent start for 10 to 15 sec giving time to get on the converter and boost ? seems to me it would make a turbo car more comfortable and more consistant ? any thoughts on this..

Drag racing consists of 2 major components - the car and the driver. :)

The object is for the car and driver to be "tuned" to work together to be consistent and responsive. Trying to make this sport a computer game is contrary to its purpose. :confused:

It has taken me many years to go from a carbed race car to get my turbo Regal competitive, and I have been very successful doing this.

One local class I run is a 10.0 index using a 4ths pro light which means that the car must spool to launch boost VERY quick, and driver response must be instantaneous off the line.

After many changes of converters, turbo, tires and technique , I was able to be competitive and win races and events.

It is hard to describe the great feeling when leaving the line with a 500 cu.in. big-block car, and beat him by a fender! :D

This car is not street driven, but it could be as it weighs 3400#'s, idles at 900 RPM, and I have won some races with DOT legal drag radials. Oh, I use the stock 3.42 rear end gears too.

We have a few other local turbo Buicks that are also very competitive in a similar class, and many have won bracket races using a full tree, and they are driven to the track!

The class I race is called true street and we use a pro tree...I am still trying to figure out the best way to be consistent...I think a bailey 2 step might help me come into the lights normally and then build a little boost before I stage...I hope...

The class I race is called true street and we use a pro tree...I am still trying to figure out the best way to be consistent...I think a bailey 2 step might help me come into the lights normally and then build a little boost before I stage...I hope...

With a Pro tree, a 2-step is almost mandatory for a good reaction time and to be consistent, much different than bracket racing at the line.

You will need to develop your own method of staging your car, since you and your car are both unique. :)

When approaching a Pro tree light, I always come into the first light with lots of RPM, and when both lights are on, I then immediately go to full throttle.

Only one way to get good at this is dialing in your car, and LOTS of seat time! :D

After all these years, I am still practicing, but still manage to win a race or 2, and an occasional event. :cool:

Nick's Trophys.jpg

Yeah I hear ya Nick! It's a heads up class so there is definitely some turbo tactics needed being all cars are allowed one power adder must meet min weight run a 275 60 15 radial and complete a cruise with a hot soak (easy peasy)! I mainly race nitrous cars but like in the vid shown I might have won if I actually left on green but I like to leave around 15lbs so that was my delay...it was time trials anyways...I am all ears on any further advise you may have!
Oh and get this i get a 200lb weight break for v-6 but then a 100lb add on for intercooler LOL

Very well said Nick,,SEAT TIME you can never get enough of it..Northerngn i notice you said one power adder allowed,is this an index class(9,90/10.90 etc..) or is it wide open? We get to run heads-up 3/4 times a year.7.49et.most of the guys in the class can run around 7.10et and they all run 2steps.We dont run a 2step so we are allowed to deep-stage..Try deep staging if they allow it and see what happens.It might surprise you..