Turbo Regal Reign comming to an end?

I will they come to ny and run onour streets?no prep asphalt with distances to be determined?

If it’s you I’m sure they will after they see your post here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A properly setup buick with a v6
turbo( unchained)and other power adders and the right weight with a real driver can hang with just about anything on the street.proven time and again on the street.

If you are running a TR that runs slower than mid-11s you are going to find yourself out-gunned real quick nowadays.

My Mustang is about 580rwhp on 91 octane, passes CA smog easily and it would gap a lot of TR's. A well setup Buick would be a tough race but there is always someone faster.

My issue with the TR's is hard to find parts and cost for a build that can keep up today. In the coyote world 10K will get you a aluminator crate motor that will hold up to nearly 1000HP. In the Buick world, 10K gets a TA block build started....

For us in Commie-fornia it's even harder because of the test-only smog every two years along with roadside smog checks and other stupid laws (non-stock exhaust).

The one thing most of the new cars today, including my Mustang, don't have is the presence of the Turbo Regals. When you see one you know it; bone stock or full on race car you know they are something special. I miss my Buicks. I don't miss most of the other cars I had in the past.

In the coyote world 10K will get you a aluminator crate motor that will hold up to nearly 1000HP. In the Buick world, 10K gets a TA block buil
See I dont care about that at all for a street car,try dead hooking 1000 hp on an unprepared surface like the street,let alone keeping the car from black tracking down the road.everyone is talking about the street like it is glue like a racetrack,it isn't;)

See I dont care about that at all for a street car,try dead hooking 1000 hp on an unprepared surface like the street,let alone keeping the car from black tracking down the road.everyone is talking about the street like it is glue like a racetrack,it isn't;)
Very true. Unfortunately there are less and less people that want to run from a dig which I find funny with all the launch control and other stuff newer cars have.

Why don’t you bring it to CT? I’ll get you a handful of races during the week. $1000 and up per car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH, OH, OH, OH, OH, oh mr Kotter, call me a voyeur, and accuse me of having strange fetishes, but, I’d pay to watch that shizen! Just something about watching a Theoretical Brazilian Arse Waxin on Da Street!! Lmao!!!

Very true. Unfortunately there are less and less people that want to run from a dig which I find funny with all the launch control and other stuff newer cars have.
the computers cant save them on the street,i have seen guys make faster passes on the street when they turn off the traction control on the newer cars.in the world im in we all love going from the dig thats the true art and where a good driver will shine.

TType85 , the only thing that I will slightly disagree with is parts availability. Never before have I seen so many aftermarket ecm’s for our vehicles. For some strange reason we were taking greater risks on the stock parts that we had in the late 90’s early 2000’s to go fast. Every last piece of stage 2 stuff that I bought in the 90’s was some one else’s used up junk. Now we have brand new billet rods, cranks, blocks , heads, belt drive kits, the fastest spooling turbos ever, the best torque converters ever, etc and it seems like some people went soft on their parts. Scared to push it. I know for a fact that I have less in my recipe to go fast , you guys are posting the greatest laundry list of go fast parts ever in your wigs. I would have thought that some of the engine building tricks would have made its way around the forum to help a few more racers tickle the 9’s. Stock bottom engine builds were running mid to high 10’s with head work and cams back in 99 with stock ecm’s and chips. We were breaking stock cranks and cracking caps but we were having fun, what happened. When was the last time a 109 has had the bottom end blown out, been a while for me. Parts cost are still within reason, engine machine work and engine assembly is all over the place ($$$$) depending on which part of the US that you live. The only funk that I think that we are in maybe, maybe the forged cranks.The prices are very decent but I think that some take more work to make them work. Knurled vs non knurled, stroker vs stock. I think that someone stuck the boost # of 24 or 25 into too many people’s head and they stick to it like a reference as if that’s the holy grail of speed and power.

TType85 , the only thing that I will slightly disagree with is parts availability. Never before have I seen so many aftermarket ecm’s for our vehicles. For some strange reason we were taking greater risks on the stock parts that we had in the late 90’s early 2000’s to go fast. Every last piece of stage 2 stuff that I bought in the 90’s was some one else’s used up junk. Now we have brand new billet rods, cranks, blocks , heads, belt drive kits, the fastest spooling turbos ever, the best torque converters ever, etc and it seems like some people went soft on their parts. Scared to push it. I know for a fact that I have less in my recipe to go fast , you guys are posting the greatest laundry list of go fast parts ever in your wigs. I would have thought that some of the engine building tricks would have made its way around the forum to help a few more racers tickle the 9’s. Stock bottom engine builds were running mid to high 10’s with head work and cams back in 99 with stock ecm’s and chips. We were breaking stock cranks and cracking caps but we were having fun, what happened. When was the last time a 109 has had the bottom end blown out, been a while for me. Parts cost are still within reason, engine machine work and engine assembly is all over the place ($$$$) depending on which part of the US that you live. The only funk that I think that we are in maybe, maybe the forged cranks.The prices are very decent but I think that some take more work to make them work. Knurled vs non knurled, stroker vs stock. I think that someone stuck the boost # of 24 or 25 into too many people’s head and they stick to it like a reference as if that’s the holy grail of speed and power.

I agree there is a lot of great new parts out there; but it's the small stuff that ends up getting you. Keeping a 30+ year old car going gets to be a chore. Tracking down wiring or odd intermittent issues gets tiring. That is where the new stuff has an advantage.

My problem motor wise with the Buicks is with the machine work and assembly. We went through 3 motors on my last 86. The last motor I put it I said f***it and had TurboLou do it. He did an amazing job but work like his does not come cheap. On the west coast there are not that many builders I would trust, Lou and Nick are probably the top ones and I know there are a few more but there are not that many.

I had a guy who built stage 2 motors for dirt track cars build one of my 109’s. He did a great job on it, only charged me 1100. He also did a board members off center stage 2 , with M&A heads. Still going strong since about 2000. I will let him chime in if he wants to. I have even had sticker shock at the prices that some charge for machine and assembly. Not knocking anyone that knows the trade and have mastered their craft. One thing that’s for certain, the goal is to get a solid short block foundation and build your goals around that. Reduce weight and go out there and spank everything in sight.

you guys are posting the greatest laundry list of go fast parts ever in your wigs
I hope your not referring to me,I make 90+lbs /minute on an rpe 109 and I can drive these cars.my car is competitive with anything out there.there are some of us that are running really fast with turbo buicks.i usually dont post up these things because that's what nt is all about

The one thing I will say is with all these great ecms , turbos, converters, great engine builders, master tuners, etc. I don’t think the cars have gotten faster. Honestly my buddy was running 9.50s in 1993. He drove that car everywhere. Yes it was a dutwiller stage 2 motor but honestly with all the great tech now there are guys with ta motors and stage 2 motors that aren’t even running that fast now. I’m sure he would have went faster if Job sr from turbo people didn’t hold him back. Car was a true beast on the street. Ripping nitrous big blocks , etc. I honestly never seen a car do what that Buick did on the street. If your from NY and from that era you know the car. People were running 10s in the 90s with stock computer, junk turbos and old converter tech , why aren’t guys going much faster if any at all now?

why aren’t guys going much faster if any at all now?

Not enough boost. As rag231 said people take 24-25psi to be high boost. It seems the fast guys aren't afraid to send it. My 86 with a 6262 just started waking up at 23-24psi. Hell aren't some of the GTR's and other turbo cars out there pushing 40psi ?

What about reliability/longevity?

Are the newer builds more reliable/last longer than the previous engine builds?

I don't know, but I bet the steel cranks have something to keeping people out of the DOTC club nowadays.

Not enough boost. As rag231 said people take 24-25psi to be high boost. It seems the fast guys aren't afraid to send it. My 86 with a 6262 just started waking up at 23-24psi. Hell aren't some of the GTR's and other turbo cars out there pushing 40psi ?
Exactly look at my combo in my signature 10.0s @ 135 weighing 3850 with a old school turbo te45a. How many people are really running 9s in a full weight car under 30#s of boost. On a low compression motor with low rpm the only way to get them to run is with a shit load of boost or strip alot of weight out.

Listen what it really comes down to is the tune. You can have the best parts and a shit tune and end up with a blown engine. I run a stock crank and rods. I’m not even fast compared to what others have done. There’s been guys in the 9s with stock rods and crank. I’m hoping to get there before the year is up, I’m gonna seal up the wastegates and see where I end up on boost.