You can type here any text you want

TURBO SELECTION HELP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alton holsted

i have a stock 87 with the heds off and the turbo is bad i need help with selecting a replacement i would like to get a upgraded turbo but i dont want to change the cam or converter i want to put headers,intake,rockers,injectors,chip,exhaust on it but not much else thanks in advance alton

IMHO,

Don't bother with headers unless your stockers are cracked/keep cracking. There are no real gains to be had there until north of 500 rwhp IMHO.

Also, what do you want the car to run and at what boost level?

I'd skip the intake as well.

Rockers if you want adjustability are OK.

Your best bang for the buck is a good fuel system, a scantool/datalogger, a wideband, 60# injectors, a wideband controlled chip for pump gas and alky, downpipe, exhaust, and definately.....Alkycontrol's alky kit (Razor).

The turbo Mr. Spool recommended is a good stock replacement turbo that works with a stock converter and is a solid 11 sec capable turbo. There are some of the newer billet turbos that might offer some additional gain, however, the old TA49 or TE44 are excellent entry level aftermarket turbos.

You should easily be able to go mid to high 11's on pump gas and alky with the longblock completely stock..... and on the stock converter..... It will be a blast.

IMHO, this is where these cars are the most fun.... at that power level..... much more than that....... $$$ goes way up...... and reliability begins to decline.

Good Luck.

chip turbo tweak , alky alky control. is where i got my chip and alky system.

TurboTweak is a very popular chip for our cars. I highly recommend these chips.

TurboTweak.com

Depending on your goals, the time to change injectors is when you buy your new chip. Stock injectors are done by the time you get into the 11's even with alky. I highly recommend if you want to go 11's and are about to pull the trigger on new injectors.... jump straight to the 60's. They work fine with a stock unmodified ECU and will work from a stock motor all the way to 10.0's or maybe a little quicker with alky.

You might need to decide what chip to get based on your computer skills. If you are not computer friendly and want a plug-n-play chip deal, then I would recommend the TT 5.7 chip and forgo the wideband controlled chip. You can always start there and get another chip later if you like...... The 5.7 chip has some adjustable features for fueling and timing that you can set using a scanmaster (which you can also get from Eric at TT). One of these setups will still get you into the 11's just like the wideband controlled chips.... The beauty of the wideband controlled chips is the chip can monitor the wideband and make fuel corrections at WOT to help keep your air/fuel ratio right on target. The 5.7 chip can't correct at WOT. You will want to pickup a scanmaster (as a minimum) if you choose to do the (non-wideband) 5.7 chip.

If you decide you are computer savy enough, and like the wideband idea.... you will need a couple extra pieces of hardware not required for the 5.7 chip. You will need the wideband (of course) and a powerlogger. The powerlogger is a datalogger that connects directly to the board of your ECU with some slight modification to the case of the ECU. It is the only means to get the wideband signal into the ECU so the wideband chip can tweak the fueling. The wideband Eric @ TT recommends is the AEM or the PLX wideband. These can be purchased through Summit or Jegs.

To properly take advantage of the wideband chip.... you will want to have a laptop available to make initial chip settings and datalog it.... and also for track trips. I run the scanmaster for daily driving...and bring in the laptop if I am tuning or going to the track.

For the turbo, I would suggest Cal Hartline - Hartline Performance or Mike Licht @ Full Throttle. I'd highly recommend Precision Turbo as the brand of turbo to buy unless you are getting a good used TE44 or TA49. These are identical turbos except the 49 has a "stock appearing" compressor housing with the bolt-on inlet bell and the TE44 has a slightly less restrictive compressor housing with integral inlet bell.

If you decide to go used.... look up Bison here on the board...... he is selling good used turbos and can hook you up with a turbo that will fit your needs.

Alkycontrol for the alky system. Julio is the man on these alky kits for a Turbo Buick.

Ta49, te44, or 5857. With Garrett .63 housing only on stock converter. I have all in stock if interested

Blazer406 said:
TurboTweak is a very popular chip for our cars. I highly recommend these chips.

TurboTweak.com

Depending on your goals, the time to change injectors is when you buy your new chip. Stock injectors are done by the time you get into the 11's even with alky. I highly recommend if you want to go 11's and are about to pull the trigger on new injectors.... jump straight to the 60's. They work fine with a stock unmodified ECU and will work from a stock motor all the way to 10.0's or maybe a little quicker with alky.

You might need to decide what chip to get based on your computer skills. If you are not computer friendly and want a plug-n-play chip deal, then I would recommend the TT 5.7 chip and forgo the wideband controlled chip. You can always start there and get another chip later if you like...... The 5.7 chip has some adjustable features for fueling and timing that you can set using a scanmaster (which you can also get from Eric at TT). One of these setups will still get you into the 11's just like the wideband controlled chips.... The beauty of the wideband controlled chips is the chip can monitor the wideband and make fuel corrections at WOT to help keep your air/fuel ratio right on target. The 5.7 chip can't correct at WOT. You will want to pickup a scanmaster (as a minimum) if you choose to do the (non-wideband) 5.7 chip.

If you decide you are computer savy enough, and like the wideband idea.... you will need a couple extra pieces of hardware not required for the 5.7 chip. You will need the wideband (of course) and a powerlogger. The powerlogger is a datalogger that connects directly to the board of your ECU with some slight modification to the case of the ECU. It is the only means to get the wideband signal into the ECU so the wideband chip can tweak the fueling. The wideband Eric @ TT recommends is the AEM or the PLX wideband. These can be purchased through Summit or Jegs.

To properly take advantage of the wideband chip.... you will want to have a laptop available to make initial chip settings and datalog it.... and also for track trips. I run the scanmaster for daily driving...and bring in the laptop if I am tuning or going to the track.

For the turbo, I would suggest Cal Hartline - Hartline Performance or Mike Licht @ Full Throttle. I'd highly recommend Precision Turbo as the brand of turbo to buy unless you are getting a good used TE44 or TA49. These are identical turbos except the 49 has a "stock appearing" compressor housing with the bolt-on inlet bell and the TE44 has a slightly less restrictive compressor housing with integral inlet bell.

If you decide to go used.... look up Bison here on the board...... he is selling good used turbos and can hook you up with a turbo that will fit your needs.

Alkycontrol for the alky system. Julio is the man on these alky kits for a Turbo Buick.

Fwiw I only sell new turbos unless they were run on my own personal car or I was doing testing on another car. In either case the turbo would have nothing but filtered oil feeding it. Currently the only used turbo i have is a 6680 ball bearing. Otherwise all the turbos I have for sale are at minimum remanufactured cartridges. Most are 100% new cartridges. Thanks for the plug though.

I have a chip for sale right now. Its burnt for a Ta49 or Te44 with 93 oct and ALKY. Also a Dutt-neck intercooler. Its about half price of a new one. I've upgraded about 100 times since I had this in...hahaha Oh yeah...42.5lb injectors also. This is a very popular combo and runs awesome.

Let me know.

Fwiw I only sell new turbos unless they were run on my own personal car or I was doing testing on another car. In either case the turbo would have nothing but filtered oil feeding it. Currently the only used turbo i have is a 6680 ball bearing. Otherwise all the turbos I have for sale are at minimum remanufactured cartridges. Most are 100% new cartridges. Thanks for the plug though.

My apologies Brian...... I guess I made an assumption since I have seen you selling in the parts for sale section these were not new.... but near new..... I know you "play" with alot of different combos..... I guess I shouldn't assume.... my mistake.

I hope we get the OP headed in the right direction. I think he would have a ton of fun at that mid-11 sec power level.....

My apologies Brian...... I guess I made an assumption since I have seen you selling in the parts for sale section these were not new.... but near new..... I know you "play" with alot of different combos..... I guess I shouldn't assume.... my mistake.

I hope we get the OP headed in the right direction. I think he would have a ton of fun at that mid-11 sec power level.....
Thats correct but the turbos listed are all fresh except the 6680. I pay the vendor fees required even though i requested not to be listed as a vendor here. Ive proven a lot of different turbos. The OP needs something that will spool fast and doenst want to change converters so it only leaves a few options and the garrett .63 ex housing would be mandatory if it was something i was building.

Bought a 6131 from Brian. Looked brand new when i picked it up. Still looks new and works flawlessly over 10k miles later! 100% recommended seller. Thanks again Bison.

Zack

hey guys , after a great season of thrashing my car i noticed that my turbonetics 62mm is starting to go and i wanted to ask you guys what a good selection would be. I'm leaning toward a PTE billet turbo /w they're stock location intercooler and a turbo saver kit and an RJC boost controller,might as well do it all while i have it all out of the car so here is my current combo. stock internals,hot wired,60lb squirters,ls1 MAF with translated,3"down pipe,stock headers and a TT chip from eric,but i will be running ALKY next year also,so can anyone give me a little advice on what unit would be the best for my combo? thanks guys;)

I have a PTE Stock location intercooler and a Te62 turbo for sale soon. Turbo has 1100 miles on it. I'm having a new stroker built and just bought a 67HPQ, so I don't need them anylonger.

I have a PTE Stock location intercooler and a Te62 turbo for sale soon. Turbo has 1100 miles on it. I'm having a new stroker built and just bought a 67HPQ, so I don't need them anylonger.
what are you trying to get for the turbo and the intercooler?

Back