turbo shopping....which one??

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
I currently have a te51 turbo with a red stripe converter. The car is driven mainly on the street. Im tired of the laggy 51 and want something different. What would be the best turbo to buy? (im also rebuilding the engine...porting/polishing heads etc). Or should i take the money and put it into a looser converted instead? 9/11 3200 maybe? Any ideas?

Dan

If you intend to stay with the 2800 converter, then I would first try that 51 with those ported heads before I spent any more money.

Those heads might make that turbo come alive.

If you are willing to go ahead and change the converter....then the sky's the limit.

wyk3d,

Do you have a 3" downpipe with your combo? This could be the reason for the lag. I thought the 2800 stall and the te51 went hand in hand.

nope, no downpipe. I have trouble rationalizing spending $500 for a 3 foot long piece of metal tube.

Originally posted by wyk3d
nope, no downpipe. I have trouble rationalizing spending $500 for a 3 foot long piece of metal tube.

Actually it's closer to 4' and about $440.;)

If you got the downpipe you wouldn't need to get rid of the turbo. My 51 ran awesome on the street with my vigilante and 3" ATR DP - no lag whatsoever.

-Banning

HEADS AND CAM work good with the 51 turbo.

i only have a hooker d/p with a deltagate on it. you can find then for a desent price in parts for sale

after 115 trap speed then cross your fingers on each pass if you get in the 120 range make sure you tow it to the track so you can get it home.

wyk3d,

I also believe that should be your next mod. Open that exhaust up and let that 51 breathe. It will sound much better too.

Your putting more air in with the 51. Why would you not want it to flow out.

Also feel as everyone. That heads,downpipe and exhaust. make them run.

Stolen GN ran 12.18 17 pnds of boost through 3" system.
Had ported heads, stretched intecooler.
Try it I think you'll be happy. 51's are soppse to work well.
It' combanation, that works. Hope thiss helped.

Good luck......:)

The heads and cam will make the TE51 work well. You will need a 3" DP. Also your mod. D5 converter will work OK if you get a 3" DP. The 3" DP for the Deltagates cost less than the THDP. E-mail Keath Mease. keath@measeperformance.com. Tell him Chris Taylor said to call. He can make any DP you need or want.

ok ok ok you've sold me on the downpipe......the other unspoken reason i dont want the 51 is that i dont want the car to shut off mid drive because the turbo went kaboom. I spoke to PTE about that and they said it was silly to even think such a thing. Something about 1900 degrees to melt the turbo....perfectly safe....run it as hard as u want it....blah blah blah.......so if i HAD to have a new turbo for the street, what would be a good choice??

It is hard to go wrong with the TE44. It has been proven for years.

Get a downpipe, period. you can upgrade all you want, if you dont get a bigger downpipe, your gonna get the lag.

Scott

im going from the pt-51 ....to the cpt-65 from jack....every one is telling me what a badass turbo it is ...i just cant wait to put it on this week!