You can type here any text you want

Turbo size to engine size?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Larry J

Stuck on Buick
You guys think you could give me a good idea of where to research turbo size to engine size, I am looking into a TA tall block 455 and thinking of going really big. I have the stage 2 full ported TA heads (385cfm intake, 252cfm exhaust), and am waiting for the block. Maybe close to 650 or the 732 CI they say it could do?
Thanks for any help you may be, Larry J

Just a guess it would probably be 850 plus with a big roller and the stage 2 heads in a motor that size without a turbo. I imagine the TA block could handle a whack of boost, but I would want to run 94 octane (we have 94 here), that would limit me to low boost wouldn't it? Maybe figure 1000 hp on pump gas, with a 650+ CI? Or what do you guys think?

Just a guess it would probably be 850 plus with a big roller and the stage 2 heads in a motor that size without a turbo. I imagine the TA block could handle a whack of boost, but I would want to run 94 octane (we have 94 here), that would limit me to low boost wouldn't it? Maybe figure 1000 hp on pump gas, with a 650+ CI? Or what do you guys think?

I think that is conservativeif you build it around 93 octane.

I guess it's better to overguess if I want to have big enough turbos, injectors etc?

Thank you, Larry Johnson
Westshore Transmissions Ltd.
1081 Dunford Ave.
Victoria, BC V9B 2S4
(866)459-7070 or (250)478-7070
ASE and ATRA Certified Journeyman Transmission Tech
Victoria Transmission Repair
"Where Quality is Automatic and Good Service is Standard”

I guess it's better to overguess if I want to have big enough turbos, injectors etc?

Thank you, Larry Johnson
Westshore Transmissions Ltd.
1081 Dunford Ave.
Victoria, BC V9B 2S4
(866)459-7070 or (250)478-7070
ASE and ATRA Certified Journeyman Transmission Tech
Victoria Transmission Repair
"Where Quality is Automatic and Good Service is Standard”
Id personally run a single turbo and run a a journal cartridge. There is no need to over turbo. You will have no problem spooling with that many cubes. When you say 850+ without a turbo id guess you are referring to if it was built to optimize a naturally aspirated application. You should easily be able to get 1000+ on 93 octane with a single turbo on an 8.5:1 engine. Id use the large flange ex housing too. You will need to have some type of electronic boost controller on there.

Back