You can type here any text you want

Turbo Sizing For A Twin Setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Bet that was money. It seems like that is one of the higher if not highest things as far as cost on a stage 2 buildup: a good set of full race heads. Did someone spec that cam for you or was that an educated guess? :)

Originally posted by neilaf
i'm going to try twin GTQ 70 with indy heads on a 274 ci anyone have cam sujestions? comp is grinding one with 244/246 @ .050 .697/.700 115 lobe solid roller. anyone ever run indy heads on a 274? heads are cnc ported by chapmen.

The cam seems small for big headed motor.
Use Kenny Duttweiler or Dan Strezo for the cam.

the heads were $1300. no valves. comp speced the cam they said shift point should be 8000rpm ??? i don't know if i need to go higher to take full advantage of the heads. i don't think anyone has experience with these heads on a 274 john gallina ran his on a 209. len really did not know how they would react either. comp says i might not need too much cam with such a big head might made it hard to spool. i will get pics as soon as possible. i will also document the entire engine assembly all the way through (rocker arms etc.) as every thing is different from standard stage two for anyone atempting a similar build. ports are 1 13/16 wide by 1 15/16 tall almost square. i'm going to run a .180 off set intake lifter straight exhaust lifter. i think the intake rocker will be about 1.00 in off set and the exhaust rocker will be standard stage two. the indy block had the intake lobes swaped on the cam so the lifter bores were right next to each other to make the push rods straight instead of being installed at an angle so indy parts will not work. if anyone has any info i would appreciate it

Originally posted by Quick86GN
I agree with Ted. The Carrillos will give up at over 1200. I am currently running Crower Titanium & have not went past about 1200. I did not buy them new they came in a bush motor as a bonus.

I was under the impression that Carrillo, as well as the Olivers were both made in USA. Haven't the chinese made Eagle H-Beam (and Manley & Scat) rods been used in many motors (turbo especially) making 1500+ horsepower? The one example I'm thinking of is "Big Daddy" Dwayne Gutridge. He consistently maintains that his Eagle crank/rod combination is the same reciprocating assembly he has used for the last three years has never failed/broken or anything. His car is in the 3400 pound range going 180+ MPH. It has been said that his horsepower is in the 1500+ range. The thing is, he has used the SAME set of rods without ever replacing any of them (except for re-freshening bearings) for three years.

I'm under the impression that RPM tears rods apart, but horsepower itself generally doesn't cause failure. I'm also wondering why Carillo and Crower (if both being made in the USA if I'm correct) wouldn't stand up to 1500 horsepower if the chinese made imports can?

I've also heard that the finish machining on the Oliver rods is alot sloppier than Crower?

I was also under the impression that Carrillo, as well as the Olivers were both made in USA. You have to break it down to HP per cylinder to see the stress load on each rod. If " Large Father" is making 1500HP / 8 cylinders you will get 187.5 HP per cylinder. A 6 cylinder at 1500 HP is 250 HP per cylinder. The same rod get more load in a 6 cylinder at the same power output. Extreme RPM will stretch a rod, Extreme cylinder preasure will bend or compress a rod . This is the case in our V-6's, Also the StageII rods are usualy about 6.300 to 6.500 long. The ford set up are much shorter (more strength). The finish machining on the Oliver rods that I have used was nice. I'm not sure but I think Dwayne might be using crower internals now. Hope this clears some things up for you. Dwayne is the Drag Radial King.

Back