You can type here any text you want

Turbo-T vs '97 Viper GTS

• Thread starter Thread starter dconnor
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
D

dconnor

Been driving my Buick to work the past few days since I'm on graveyards this week & had a bit of fun on the way home with a Viper GTS. The GTS owner is the night manager of the fab shop next to my lab & we've been leaving at about the same time all week. He's walked over to talk cars on a couple of occasions during break time, (his Viper has a B&B exhaust, cold-air intake & a few "freebie" type mods here and there) and had postulated a bit about how my little v6 brick would stand up against the big Mopar v10, since the highway & feeder roads are conveniently deserted that time of morning (~4am.) He usually heads the opposite way on Hwy225 but for some reason ;) he decided to follow along behind me a couple of mornings ago as I turned onto the feeder road.

I dusted off the M/T's as I rolled up to the red light, came to a stop & leaned forward to watch the cross-light as he pulled along side and gave a couple of choppy V-10 revs. As the cross lane light flashed yellow I brought the car up against the converter & built ~5lbs of boost while the Viper growled as my opponent eased down on the go pedal. Our light flashed green and I stood on the gas, cringing as I heard the Sportsmans groan/chatter on the edge of going up in smoke then bite HARD as I launched across the intersection & crossed beneath the light. The Viper was a little overeager with the throttle & fell back ~1 1/2 lengths as his huge radials squalled in protest at the abuse from the big v-10. At the 1-2 shift my T surged forward gaining another 1/2 car length & stayed put as the Viper gained solid footing and refused to give up any more ground.

As my T roared toward the 2-3 shift the Viper doggedly tailed me then suddenly dropped a solid length as the GTS driver fumbled a shift. I risked a glance at the scanmaster as my T headed toward the top of 3rd & my eyes bugged a bit at the 122 mph glaring back at me in red LED glory. As my car hit the 3-4 shift I glanced back to see the long/low Dodge VERY steadily reeling me in & I finally lifted (gave up) as the Viper easily slithered past while my car was groping for 138 mph (& quickly running out of steam, maybe I should think about porting these stock heads!) I headed on home with a curious mix of feelings, PROUD that the T was able to handle the big high dollar Mopar "supercar" yet a bit flustered that he had the top end grunt to walk steadily past with A LOT of room for more. :eek:

Oh well brick-like grocery gettin grandma cars aren't all that suited for top end jaunts anyways, ESP when they've been modded with 1/4 mile blasts in mind!!! ;)

Doug C.

What kind of excuses did the Viper driver have for losing?

Nice kill

Sounds like in a 1/4 mph, you got him, as for the top end pull, those vipers have 6 gears, and if it was modded i would guess 170-190 mph top end is not unrealistic.

Good kill,
Shoebox

Doug,
Nice kill there. Sounds like the buick is running pretty good. You need to get it to the track and see what she will do.

Later
Chris McDade

Nice!

Good kill, Doug. And, a very well written one too - it was almost like being there.

Great race!!!!Sounds like you had alot of fun.Tell us what mods your T has and was it on pump gas or race gas at the time?
Some of us dream about that late night, red light and no police in sight kinda race with a bad boy like the Viper :D

The Darkside:cool:

Good kill!

How much boost were u running? The Viper guy probably felt a little :confused: :mad: :( when his $80,000 sports car couldn't pull on the old V6 Buick until u ran out of steam!:D BTW, next time I would let off at about 120mph this way u have the clean cut victory with no defeat.;)

Tell us what mods your T has and was it on pump gas or race gas at the time?

Here is the meat & potatoes of my TR's build-up:

CPP Competition shortblock: stock block, new stock crank, CPP spec 206 cam, 9:1 forged pistons (Venolia), billet caps on the centers, Race Jace engine girdle and everything smoothed, balanced & blueprinted

Stock heads freshened up with new springs etc... & 3 angle valve job

Ported stock intake & modded doghouse w/ 65mm throttle body

50# injectors (w/ matching CPP street chip burned for my combo)

TE-61 turbo w/ PTE .63 exhaust housing

Terry Houston downpipe into a 2 1/2" hooker exhaust

Action Fab "stretch" intercooler

S&B air filter / homemade cold-air kit flowing into a solid MAF pipe

HR PartsNStuff poly driver's side motor mount

Mike Kurtz built tranny w/ 3200 rpm 9/11" converter

Stock 3.42 w/ 28 spline Moser axles & c-clip eliminators

HR PartsNStuff lower & upper rear control arms (recently installed & WELL worth the investment!)

The car is pretty much in full on street trim right now which consists of 93 octane super unleaded gas & 16~17 lbs of boost. My Turbo-T runs solid 11.9's~12.0's @ ~113 in this "trim" and the Viper driver said he normally runs between 11.8 & 12.2 at the track depending on how well he launches.

Chris, best ET to date in "safe mode" aka, learn the new combo so nothing goes KABLOOEY (which is 19 lbs boost, 28-10-15 slicks, & 10 lb footbrake launches) has been a string of 11.7's@115.5 mph & mid 1.6 60 foot times. With the new control arms installed the car is launching MUCH better & I strongly feel will run solid mid 11's now with the same tune and 11.0's ~11teens @ 120something once I get it dialed down into KILL mode. See ya at HRP sometime soon! :D

Doug C.

Nice! I always wondered how I would fair against the GTS. I caught a stop light in the middle of the night with one a while back and tried to get him to run. He just took off like he was driving a Geo Metro and wouldn't give me the time or day. I messed with him for a couple blocks and he wouldn't even look my way. It's been a while since I got in a good stop light match!

Loved it

Doug,
Loved the kill story, outstanding! - BB
(P.S. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE BEEN MIXING WITH YOUR FUEL - Let's just say it was Octane Booster) - BB:p

Nice kill. Those M/T Sportsman Pros really hook on the street, what size do you run? Mine are 26 x 12.5 x 15 on 8" rims.

Nope no alky, considering a system but I have access to all the xylene I want for free so.... :)

Figure I had around 95 octane gas in it that night since I filled it up a couple of nights previously with plain jane pump gas (1/4 tank of 100 octane when I topped it off)

I'm running 28-10.5-15"s on 8" inch rims and have been pretty happy with how well they hook. Better than a drag radial but not as much bite as ET Streets or full on slicks.

Doug C.

Time for Round 2!!!

Heh, the rematch is this morning at 8:00am when we both finish our shift... SOOooo I figured I would TTT the original post for a quick recap of what led up to this morning's race.

He's on a set of the biggest DR's I've ever seen & a new cold air intake. I am running the M/T Sportsman Pro's again AND ~22lbs of boost this time & more octane. Should be FUN!!!

Doug C.

Well race has been postponed until 7am Monday morning since some rain rolled through last night around 4am. :(

Heh-he oh well, I did have a chance to do a little street testing this afternoon & now have the boost dialed in at a rock solid 24lbs (getting close to Kill Mode tune, just need to have the race chip tuned in now!) :)

Doug C.

My guess, he smoked em............feels great beating a SUPERCAR like the Viper!!!!!

:D

Well:D
Well:cool:
well;)
Speaking of toast,,where is that butter dish

Back