You can type here any text you want

Turbo Tweak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hemi8

Goin Sideways
What differences are there between the TT street chip and the Alky chip other than more timing?
Mike
86 GN

Basically an "alcohol" chip is a street chip with more timing, since with alky you can handle more timing. Since my street chip has adjustable timing, you can dial it up to get the same effect. The alky chip applies the extra timing a little bit later though to help prevent transitional knock. The alky chip is also a tad leaner as the boost comes up, but about the same as a street chip at full boost (depends on each cars setup).

Eric

Thanks Eric, I have both chips but am thinking of switching back to the street chip as it ran better. My O2's were also perfect with the street chip but waay lean with the alky chip.
Mike
86 GN

There is only 2% difference in WOT fuel on your two chips (alky chip is leaner). It all depends on how much alky you spray. Unfortunately I can't control that part. You have to work back and forth between fuel and alky to see what your car likes the best.
If you can't run the higher timing of the alky chip without knock, then you may not be spraying enough, or something else is wrong.

Regards,
Eric

Not sure what the difference is but the street chip ran at 780 O2's and the Alky ran 670 O2's. This was right out of the box with no adjustments. Using Razor's kit set at setting 6.
I am experiencing a weird knock, (using alky chip + 10% enrichment at WOT), just cruising down the freeway (no boost) my Caspers gauge swings to red and the audible alarm screams, my wide band A/F at normal cruise is pretty steady at about 14.4 to 14.6. Is this a normal reading for steady operation, 70 mph? Would you point to mechanical rather than fueling to be the cause of the knock? It is completely random, it has not happened in the cool mornings on the way to work but driving home in the heat is goes whacky maybe 3 times just for a couple seconds till I let off the throttle completely, I am barely on the gas.
Mike
86 GN

Not sure what the difference is but the street chip ran at 780 O2's and the Alky ran 670 O2's. This was right out of the box with no adjustments. Using Razor's kit set at setting 6.
I am experiencing a weird knock, (using alky chip + 10% enrichment at WOT), just cruising down the freeway (no boost) my Caspers gauge swings to red and the audible alarm screams, my wide band A/F at normal cruise is pretty steady at about 14.4 to 14.6. Is this a normal reading for steady operation, 70 mph? Would you point to mechanical rather than fueling to be the cause of the knock? It is completely random, it has not happened in the cool mornings on the way to work but driving home in the heat is goes whacky maybe 3 times just for a couple seconds till I let off the throttle completely, I am barely on the gas.
Mike
86 GN

I have the exact same problem. It happens the most when cruising steady state down the freeway. Some of the worst knock I've ever had. Seems to be worse when everything is warm. I'm running the TT alky chip.

I am making a few changes to remedy the problem, switching back to the street chip a RJC power plate is now installed. I'll check back in after I drive it a bit.
Mike
86 GN

The fueling during cruise is in closed loop and controlled by the O2 sensor readings. You should average 14.6-14.7 A/F when in closed loop. My alky chips and street chips are identical in that regard. The timing is also identical during cruising. If you could datalog the event, we may be able to track down the problem.

Hey Eric, since I just installed an Alkycontrol kit and have cranked the boost up to almost 20 PSI (might go another 3 PSI when my RJC boost controller gets in) would it be wise to go ahead and have you burn me a new TT chip for alky?

I currently have a TT street chip in now, and I have the WOT fuel down at like 123 yet my car still feels doggy on the top end when in the boost, as I believe it's running rich with both the fuel and alky going at the same time.

It might be a bit rich if you're only running 20psi. You can keep subtracting WOT fuel until it cleans up or starts knocking. You could also try decreasing alky, since you won't need that much at that boost level. If you are going to turn the boost up, then it should lean out then also.
The alky chip is mainly just going to get you more timing.

Thanks, I have found the Scanmaster shows some KR in 3rd gear, but not in 2nd, not sure why but today I was getting on it in 2nd, 02's were in the 800's and no KR, then I went to 3rd and it still was reading 800 but KR went up to like 1.8 or something. It has gone higher.

I know you mentioned your Alky chips are set up to work with transitional knock.....does this sound like transitional knock?

Thanks!

Back