turbo upgrade?

1KWIKSIX

Hey all,

Am relativelyy new to the buick scene and looking at upgrading the stock turbo over the winter..... am leaning towards the Ball Bearing - 6131RE. Looking for your opinions as I am also considering BB versions of the TA49 (4931RA) vs TE44(4431RE).

It's a street car (daily driver) with 60,000mi, that will see very little time at the strip. Presently have stock converter (which I would like to keep) and the following supporting mods:
PTE stock location intercooler, 3" up pipe, 3" THDP, adj waste gate, 3" Hiflo cat, 2 1/2" ATR SS exh system , 009's, TT chip, afpr, RJC air distr plate, 160deg therm, Ram charger dual fans with relay, 4" tin man cold air intake,scan master, boost gauge, audible knock detector gauge.

Other items which I have, but are yet to be installed: 4" MAF pipe with Z06 sesnor, GEN II Translator.

Future items planned: Raxor GN Alky, wide band O2 system.

I see that the 6131RE comes standard with the "E" compressor cover (3" inlet / 2" outlet), but is also available with the "S" compressor cover (4" inlet / 2 1/2" outlet)...how would upgrading to the "S" compressor cover affect performance of this street driver?

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Dave
(from the great white north)

I run a big cover on my daily driver, it's just plumbing, I use cold air kits as well, I think it helps a daily driver more than hurt it.

Since you already have the 4" air system plumbing should be straightforward.

It's a bit tight but doable, they make the angle air boss for the IACV and all, I didn't use one, just removed part of the back of the wiring connector on it to fit mine in there.

No issues on a daily driver 4" from bumper to turbo, excepting my 3.5" MAF with adapters from Full Throttle.

Te44

Let me know if your still looking at a TE44. I do have one for sale. I just had it looked at and cleaned up. It was rebuilt by John Craig a couple of years back, probably doesn't have 1500 miles on it. I upgraded to a TA62. Fastest time was 9.9 seconds in 1000'(we don't have 1/4 strips here in AR). Interested let me know or if you have more questions.

turbo ugrage?

Thanks for your offer.......but I'm looking for the BB version.......is this the 4431RA (the ball bearing version of the TE-44)? or the journal bearing model?

Thx.
Dave

I haven't kept up with the ball bearing models, kinda way out of my price range. The TE44 and TA62 I upgraded to are both journal bearing. Later

I have a CPT-61 from Cotton. It's 4" in 2.75" out BB ad water cooled.
My convertor is a bit loose over stock...2800, but not much. It's spools fast and makes a ton of boost. It puts out 19 psi with no knock on 93. Will go 22 psi no knock on 104 unleaded. 24psi on alcy. It's efficient I think. Pics of install on my site if interested.

Thats cool, I believe the TA62 is 3" in probably 2" or 2 1/2" out. Water cooled sound interesting. I'm still running a stock IC, big mouth cold air intake, 3000 stall converter, tranny been upgraded with race kit, 3" Terry Houston down pipe, power plate, performance radiator, stand alone tranny and oil cooler, LS1 MAF w/ Translator Plus, TurboTweak chip, alcohol injection, 42 pound injectors. I don't rightly know how the TA52 will perform on the street, I have only got to race it, at Thunder Valley Dragstrip, first time to run a 1/4 mile best time was 11.80, 1000' was 9.8, 0-60 was round 1.75. I just kept cranking it up since I wasn't getting any detonation and was right 29 psi for the final run and I did get some at that time but it was 4.00 or less. I was running aviation fuel, 100 octane and alcohol. Should have a transbrake in soon, hoping to bring the 0-60 down. Oh I did beat that Ford at the Buick/Ford shootout in OK