You can type here any text you want

Turn Signal Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

liquifire

Hello,

I did a search first but, I could not find anyone having the same issue as I am having. My turn signals stay on solid (don't blink) on both sides. The hazards blink with no problems at all. I said wtf and bought a new flasher but, that did not fix the problem. All the lights are lit up fine and but, the damn turn signals just won't blink. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks

On newer GM cars this is their signal that a bulb is out, but on the TR's I don't think they work this way. Did the blinkers work on both sides, then go out on both sides simultaneously? If so, this sounds like a wiring problem. I'd start checking voltage from the fuse box, to the flasher modules, on outward.

I believe their are two flasher units. One for the turn signal and one for the four ways. Maybe you changed out the wrong one??

Possible fix may be replacement of your turnsignal/hazard switch located under the steering wheel in the column.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Possible fix may be replacement of your turnsignal/hazard switch located under the steering wheel in the column.

His problem is just the opposite of mine. My turn signals just up and quit working. Checked and double checked the flashers, by swapping. They're not the problem :mad: so I ordered and received a new turn signal hazard switch (the one that goes into the steering colum).
I haven't pulled the wheel yet, but my problem is, I can't figure out how the turn signal lever's going to come out.
:confused:
Will I see this when I get the steering wheel off??

but my problem is, I can't figure out how the turn signal lever's going to come out.
Just pull on the lever straight out, then twist. Comes right out.

Did this problem happen all of a sudden? Is this a car you just bought with this problem?

If I remember right, with my GN when a bulb is out, it'll stay lit solid. Or possibly there is a bad ground with one of the dual filimant bulbs so it has to make it's way to ground thru the other filament. Are the lights dim at all when lit?

Check ALL your bulbs, parking lights, the little peanut bulbs, and of course, the right flasher module.

When you engage the signal, BOTH arrows light up on the dash? Are all four lights bright? Like the brake lights in the back and look like DRLs in the front?

Hi

Once you get the wheel off (which can be done without the tool), remove the horn switch stuff. Then there should be a splined shaft with some threads staring at you. You should see (I say "should" because most GM's are like this) a circular ring on the steering shaft (like a snap ring) at the base of the plastic ring (this ring will be the size of the steering column) Here's the kicker: You have to push this big ring down into the column and get the clip off, not easy. I did it once on a GMC C7500 truck with an O2 sensor socket, nearly killed my hand. Then all the stuff wil come out, don't let the thing spring out at you and pop yer eye out. you should be able to unscrew the levers from the unit.

Then make the excessively large electrical connector parallel with the wires and persuade them down through the steering column (you'll see what I mean).

Not that bad, they do make a tool to compress the ring thingy to get the clip off.

I have never done this on a Turbo Regal before but I have seen many GM switches done before....

Bill

Originally posted by wlaukaitis

Not that bad, they do make a tool to compress the ring thingy to get the clip off.

Most advisable to acquire this tool to change the turnsignal/hazard switch. Available at most parts store for about $10.

Well, I've exausted about everything I can think of to get the turn signals to work. Before going to all the trouble to remove the wheel to replace the switch, I just plugged the new one into the connector on the column where the original is plugged in. Still no turn signals :mad:
Took the flasher out of the 87 (which works fine) and it doesn't work in mine either. I can't imagine what I'm missing.
I thought I was a pretty good electronics troubleshooter, but this one's got my stumped. :mad:

Dave, does the PURPLE wire of that switch assembly have +12 power read to a good ground, with the switch assembly in place?

Key on test of course. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
Dave, does the PURPLE wire of that switch assembly have +12 power read to a good ground, with the switch assembly in place?

Key on test of course. :)

Yes, there's 12v there with key on. Both the old and new turn signal switches exhibit the same problem. NO turn signals, but good emergency flashers (all bulbs work). No combination of flashers or turn signal switches seems to matter. That's why I'm completely stumped! I can't even figure out where to go next.

Next check would be the light blue wire and the yellow wire with key on and signal switch for OFF, Right turn, and LEFT turn which should give power only in that position. (check them all)

Same with the right turn signal on th dark green and dark blue wires with key on, signal switch off, left turn, and RIGHT turn position which should give power in that position only.

Key on tests of course.

See ya tomorrow. ;)

fixed

found the turn signal flasher under the steerung colmn. Problem fixed. Thanks guys and good luck Turbo Dave with your problem.

Fuse block flasher = Hazards
Flasher under steering column = Turn Signals

Originally posted by salvageV6
Next check would be the light blue wire and the yellow wire with key on and signal switch for OFF, Right turn, and LEFT turn which should give power only in that position. (check them all)

Same with the right turn signal on th dark green and dark blue wires with key on, signal switch off, left turn, and RIGHT turn position which should give power in that position only.

Key on tests of course.

See ya tomorrow. ;)

Checked all those yesturday, but was checking resistance instead of voltage and both switches operated perfectly (resistance).
Oddly enough, couldn't get any voltage through those same pins in either switch. :confused:

BUT, Today I went out to check voltages, the darn things are working OK. :confused: Either switch works fine :eek:

Talk about some wierd gremlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bet would be, they'll work a while and die again :mad:

But anyway, switches, both exhibit same symptoms (resistance OK, voltage OK when working, but no voltage through thme when problem present).

IF the purple wire had power into the switch assembly and you are reading to a good known ground, if the power doesn't come out on the other 4 colored wires excepting the brown which is the hazard feed power wire, you have a problem internal to the switch.

This type of circuit is almost better troubleshot with a test lamp with two leads on it, say an 89 trunk lamp bulb.

Allows a decent amount of current to flow through the funky switches which are multi-pole double throw and the N/C switch in the flasher assembly is very important as it allows the turn signals to work.

I can wait however until they fail again. ;)

Well, I was right. They worked fine for a few days and quit again.

:mad:

This car is posessed!!!!!!!

No opens (that I can find)
No shorts (that I can find)

When I turn the key on, and turn the signal lever (right for example) I can hear the flasher clicking, but no lights light, and when checking the voltage into the switch from the flasher, or into the flasher, the 12v is pulled down to zero when the signal lever is activated???????????? Fuse is fine. voltage on either side of it is 12v with key on, signa lever activated or not??????????
The wiring diagram shows the power coming off this fuze and going to the flasher and also the backup lights (which BTW work fine), but at the fuze I have 12v, but don't have it at the the flasher (the next device in line) when the signals are activated?????

You could have just one bulb out on each side or a side maker light out. The four way flashers will flash with a bulb out. So you can't be broke down with no flashers. But the turn signals are designed to stop working with any bulb out to let you know the bulb is out.. The general planned it that way. recheck every bulb there is a ton of them (front and rear).

Back