You can type here any text you want

Turn Signal Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by GN/GTO
You could have just one bulb out on each side or a side maker light out. The four way flashers will flash with a bulb out. So you can't be broke down with no flashers. But the turn signals are designed to stop working with any bulb out to let you know the bulb is out.. The general planned it that way. recheck every bulb there is a ton of them (front and rear).

I'll re-check them, but when this ghost is working they all light nicely. Just in case, I think I'll bye a "bag" of new bulbs.

Bummer!! I replaced every bulb in the system, to no avail :mad:
I knew better (for two reasons, the four way flashers work just fine, they use the same bulbs, and when the turn signals are working, all the bulbs are working as expected), but I'm clutching at straws now.

Are there ANY automotive electrical experts out there that might have a clue what I can do next :confused: I've checked/replaced everything there is to check/replace :mad:

Sure there are, but you have troubleshot the problem I think already. :)

Double check the voltage to the flasher on the dark blue wire with the meter or an 89 bulb when the problem occurs and the switch is thrown.

Also see if your backup lights work when the problem occurs. ;)

Originally posted by salvageV6
Sure there are, but you have troubleshot the problem I think already. :)

Double check the voltage to the flasher on the dark blue wire with the meter or an 89 bulb when the problem occurs and the switch is thrown.

Also see if your backup lights work when the problem occurs. ;)

This is what's driving me nuts!! On the dark blue wire at the flasher (either side of the flasher actually), and the switch is thrown the voltage is pulled down to near zero. But the voltage on either side of the fuze for that circuit stays up at 12v.

Yes, the backup lights work fine, flashers, etc. The entire lighting system works perfectly with no burned out bulbs or elements. Just not the turn sigs :mad:

If and I repeat IF the back up lights work when the problem is occurring then the splice of the two blue wires which I believe is at the base of the gear selector switch that powers the backup lights is at fault.

If the backup lights are not working when the signal lamps go dead at the blue wire then the problem most likely is the back of the fuse panel where the blue wire should attach.

Must trace an almost open circuit back to the fuse panel from the flasher connector.

My guess it's at the gear selector switch.

If and I repeat IF the back up lights work when the problem is occurring then the splice of the two blue wires which I believe is at the base of the gear selector switch that powers the backup lights is at fault.

If the backup lights are not working when the signal lamps go dead at the blue wire then the problem most likely is the back of the fuse panel where the blue wire should attach.

Must trace an almost open circuit back to the fuse panel from the flasher connector.

My guess it's at the gear selector switch.

Hmmm, sounds logical. The backup lights DO work, so now, do you have a suggestion on where exactly this splice of the two blue wires might be? Would it be at the gear selector switch? and is that located on top of the steering column down under the dash?

TIA

Come on Dave you got the manual open it. ;)

I obviously have never had that weird problem so I have no clue. :)

Manual wasn't all that clear where the splice was but looking at the fuse distribution page for that fuse I would say at the gear selector switch.

That should be located attached to the base of the steering column according to the manual. 201-13-A is the page for the picture, sticks out the top of the column of course where it's hard to work on.

Look for two dark blue wires, one crushed. :(

Now how do I fix my code 42 problem in the rain? Oh wait I know wait for tomorrow. :cool:

Car still runs too, prolly the translator timing circuit or the new extender chip, or some rain water. :eek:

Come on Dave you got the manual open it. ;)

I obviously have never had that weird problem so I have no clue. :)

Manual wasn't all that clear where the splice was but looking at the fuse distribution page for that fuse I would say at the gear selector switch.

That should be located attached to the base of the steering column according to the manual. 201-13-A is the page for the picture, sticks out the top of the column of course where it's hard to work on.

Look for two dark blue wires, one crushed. :(

Now how do I fix my code 42 problem in the rain? Oh wait I know wait for tomorrow. :cool:

Car still runs too, prolly the translator timing circuit or the new extender chip, or some rain water. :eek:

Salvage, THANKS for steering me in the right direction. I was so ticked off at the car I hadn't touched it in a couple weeks. Today I went back out and crawled under the dash, laying on my back, (on the seat because of the roll bar mount being in the way on the floor). My back will never be the same.
Anyway, I was looking around up there by the gear selector switch, and saw the open connectors where something used to be plugged in. Then right there in my face was hanging that connector. It had two dk blu wires into one side and a lt grn wire out the other.
OMG! I had forgotten that way back about 15 years ago when I installed the B&M shifter, I had gone under there and disconnected that switch and cut the lt grn wire to the backup lights (because this was years ago when I didn't know how to hook the shift column lever up to the tranny with the aftermarket lever in place).
Anyway, I had used one of those pinch splicers on one of the dk blu wires to supply 12v to the shifter's back up light micro switch.

My suspisions are that that connection probably has become corroded over the last 15 years somehow, and when loading the circuit, it somehow broke the circuit. After wiggling the connections and playing with it, the turn signals now work :rolleyes:

I suspect that pinch connector must be on the dk blu wire going to the turn signals because the backups worked just fine.

So thanks again salvage!! this was truely a ball buster.

Back