Turn Up The Boost

W

woodenstapler

im lookin to up the boost in my 93 bonne....how do i go about doing this?...somethin to do w/ the bypass actuator or the boost control solenoid? how much could i raise the boost and be safe...do i need a knock gauge? thanks chris

I think the preferred way is a pulley system. Either a smaller SC pulley or a larger pulley on the "drive" side, not sure which. My friend just picked up an '00 Buick Regal GS, and I'm doing some tuning research for him, so I'm just getting into the SC'd realm.

As for a knock gauge, what's the comp. ratio on your bonneville? What's the stock boost, and what are you planning to run? I would think anything under 13 psi would be fine, but again, I'm just learnin'. ;) Good luck! Any pix of your ride?

The only way to get more boost on these engines is a pulley. This is the limiter. They run at 100% boost (0% bypass) unless something happens such as decel, reverse, idle or you hit the max boost timer. In that case it will start to back off the boost and start removing 3 degrees of spark for every one MPH over the limit. It tends to soft limit.

The 92/93 M-60 can be overspun (I had a custom pulley made), but you can't go too far.

TK

I guess my car has hit its limit, as far boost goes I guess. When floored and boost is way up there the car bucks/backs off. What do I do?????????

TEA: check your plugs. I've had a lot of problems with NGK's. I use Delco's (can't remember the number off the top of my head). I use 2 heat ranges colder than stock in copper (platinum and iriduim are a waste on thee cars). Are you using 93+ octane? Knock retard would make it feel less peppy at high boost/high RPM. Most of these cars have a lot of KR unless you have headers and a cam and/or rockers. In the heat it will be especially bad.

Kinda new at this new car thing. What do I need to check on the plugs? ALWAYS USE 93. I 1st noticed it when I used 94 octane at sunoco:confused: :confused:

If they're bright red or black change them. The tops on the NGK's are known to loosen up; you might want to see if they're tight.

Are you getting bucking or surging? Is it a rhythmic change in power or abrupt and choppy?

I'm getting bucking @ full throttle. I dont know but, it feels like the exhaust is backing up(stock exhaust). When in tunnels I can hear the exhaust flying out the back straining.

As long as I'm not full throttle it wont do it. So, all I have to do is back off a minimal amount.

Get the u-bend removed. That's the only exhuast work I'd get done if I did it over again.

Does that go over the xmember or something? Is there a aftermarket piece to replace that or can I go to the exhaust shop and have them replace it or replace the whole section from the cat back?

A couple of feet down from the cat and before the resonator there is a piece of pipe that's severly crimped. An exhaust shop can replace it or you can order the piece from www.grandprixstore.com and do it ourself if you can weld. It's put there to cut back on some of the power in the car. Usually you'll lose ~1 psi of boost after doing this (that's how restrictive it is!).

I think a cat back is a waste of money until you get a cam, rockers, or other major mod.

I saw NO gains with a full exhaust (headers, no cat, Borla Cat back). Why waste your money?

I think I'm going to go to my exhaust shop only because I the resonator removed aswell. Thanks for all of the info:D