Turnkey Catch Can Kits

******The benefit of using catch can is the reduction of oil in the blow by gases from the compression stroke of the motor that would normally be routed through the PCV and back into the intake where it coats everything with a sticky combination of oil and water. This coating of oil can lead to carbon and other deposits all over the plenum and intake/exhaust valves if there is enough oil getting in there. It's especially troublesome in a turbocharged application as you have blow by from not just the combustion chamber but also from possible leakage at the turbo seals making the problem even worse as it can now coat the intercooler on the inside with sticky oil that negatively alters its thermal reduction capabilities thus reducing it's capacity to cool the intake charge.

Originally the PCV system was designed to reduce emissions by redirecting this oil rich blow by gas back into the intake tract where it would burn up the oil in the normal combustion process. Higher horsepower applications, or an older motor, bad rings, and other such issues can produce significant oil blow by that can potentially cause all manner of problems if not reduced. Check valves in the system are also often used to reduce hyper pressurization of the crankcase which can potentially push oil out of seals (rear main, valve covers, etc... ). Our GN cars were known for oil leaks, and one old school method of reducing leaks was using inline check valve(s) at the PCV to prevent hyper pressurization of the crankcase. The other method was swapping the motor out for a small block chevy (I kid!!!!!!!) :LOL:

Anyway, the catch can is basically a device that has an inlet, an outlet, and a can with some kind of baffling, packing or other system to separate the oil and water vapor mix so it doesn't contaminate the motor with horsepower robbing deposits. The oil that collects has to be periodically drained. Better to drain it at the can, than have that oil in the intercooler, or motor where it can cause all manner of crud to form everywhere, which can reduce performance.

Hope this helps

Billy
Makes total sense, thanks for the detailed reply... I should of been had them installed.

******The benefit of using catch can is the reduction of oil in the blow by gases from the compression stroke of the motor that would normally be routed through the PCV and back into the intake where it coats everything with a sticky combination of oil and water. This coating of oil can lead to carbon and other deposits all over the plenum and intake/exhaust valves if there is enough oil getting in there. It's especially troublesome in a turbocharged application as you have blow by from not just the combustion chamber but also from possible leakage at the turbo seals making the problem even worse as it can now coat the intercooler on the inside with sticky oil that negatively alters its thermal reduction capabilities thus reducing it's capacity to cool the intake charge.

Originally the PCV system was designed to reduce emissions by redirecting this oil rich blow by gas back into the intake tract where it would burn up the oil in the normal combustion process. Higher horsepower applications, or an older motor, bad rings, and other such issues can produce significant oil blow by that can potentially cause all manner of problems if not reduced. Check valves in the system are also often used to reduce hyper pressurization of the crankcase which can potentially push oil out of seals (rear main, valve covers, etc... ). Our GN cars were known for oil leaks, and one old school method of reducing leaks was using inline check valve(s) at the PCV to prevent hyper pressurization of the crankcase. The other method was swapping the motor out for a small block chevy (I kid!!!!!!!) :LOL:

Anyway, the catch can is basically a device that has an inlet, an outlet, and a can with some kind of baffling, packing or other system to separate the oil and water vapor mix so it doesn't contaminate the motor with horsepower robbing deposits. The oil that collects has to be periodically drained. Better to drain it at the can, than have that oil in the intercooler, or motor where it can cause all manner of crud to form everywhere, which can reduce performance.

Hope this helps

Billy
Makes total sense, thanks for the detailed reply... I should of been had them installed.

I made my own 20 some years ago with a air/oil seperator I had laying around, WAAAY before it was a known issue

I have one on he PCV and the valve covers running to an electric evac pump. Both were worth it.