You can type here any text you want

Type II ignition question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bilt2run

Can the type II ignition be mounted with the dist. wires up front and the data plug on the drivers side(stock location). My wipers cut the rear dist. wire boots when running with the new Champion intake.

bilt2run said:
Can the type II ignition be mounted with the dist. wires up front and the data plug on the drivers side(stock location). My wipers cut the rear dist. wire boots when running with the new Champion intake.
I believe the big requirement with the Type II is that you ground it well, where ever you plan on sticking it. Since I'm building a hybrid, I'm going to mount the Type II offset on the firewall so I don't have to cut or dent the firewall to get it to fit. Also the later FWD stuff like my 97.5 Regal GS have the coils mounted on the front of the engine with unequal length, and I do mean really unequal length plug wires, running around the timing cover to the back of the engine so I'm pretty sure you just need to keep it well grounded. Bruce, this is all correct right?

Thanks,

problem is... it seems that if you turn the module to meet the data plug the dist wires have to be to the rear.

Not sure about the wiring since I don't have a TR. One idea would be to open the harnes and lengthen the stub harness branch for the module so you can relocate it. Worst case you'll have to splice in wire to lengthen the stub harness.

The problem is the type II igntion only uses 1 16 awg wire to run all 3 coils and the module itself results in a voltage drop under load and it sputters.........

I am going to keep that in mind if I have misfiring troubles..... I put type II stuff on mine out of a junkyard 6 months ago..... and have been pleased with it so far (8k miles and counting)....... even at 24+ psi boost :biggrin: ..... If I do have misfiring problems....I will probably back up and punt then......

would it not be the same situation with the stock set up? No better or worse. I am simply using it to clear the wiper arms with a Champion intake.

Back