You can type here any text you want

Type II Ignition Swap Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
type II coils primary inductance measures 3.1MH with a Q of 9.5------type I measures 3.8MH with a Q of 7.86

certainly with all factors being equal (again not likely) the coil with the lowest inductance should be able to work at higher speeds----------as far as issues dealing with coil saturation a realistic judgement cannot be made as to the real effect unless a hysteresis curve of the core is known-----and considering that these coils have many sources and countries of origin it is not likely that they are at all similar-------the bulk of current limiting in the module appears to be a single resistor that is in series with the ground connection common for all three coils-------in my measurement the scope was floating so the voltage reading was correct across the coils and actual location of the drop was not relevant -------i am not convinced that the coils cannot be driven harder but i am going to set up a variable voltage constant current driver to determine this-----my guess is that the limiting is to protect the module as much as the coil?? -------as far as higher voltages allowing for faster charge times that is obviously true since RC and RL time constants are independant of voltage-------i never took the time to analyze this critter before but its certainly a different animal--------current paths are certainly not anything like the kettering or CD systems that are so common

While it's true that a lower inductance primary will charge quicker for better high speed operation, primary resistance is also a part of that equation, so a very low pri resistance will help offset larger inductance and charge faster.

Still curious as to max pri current (as a function of rpm) to compare pri energy storage.

Do they have the same current limit between I and II ?

This is good stuff......

I think I'll wait it out on Turbo Bob's new coil pack/module/2 step/who knows what else it will do. Looks like a very interesting piece.

Back