You can type here any text you want

uneven spacing of front suspension?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Powder

I'm in the process of replacing my wheels and while doing some measuring to determine the widest tire I could fit on the front I found the track to be .750" wider on the passenger side. This is with respect to the outside edge of the fender. Anyone else ever detect this type of uneven body suspension relationship? Also, car has 63K easy livin' miles, never crashed, drives great but as typical does not have all of its body bushings yet. Is this a typical factory tolerance? TIA

MLH

Believe so, it's kinda normal to have either a front or back offset one way or another. On my '70 Olds 442 the axle is off a smidge on one side, and on the '87 GN the right front (passenger) sits out a fraction. .75" seems quite a lot, mine closer to .2". Can cure part of problem by taking wheel off & with a body hammer (use quick moderate hits to warm & bend the metal) can bend the inside fender well lip out of the way a little. Also remove the top inside screw (that helps holds molding) because it's head rubs the tire. There may other tricks, but .75" seems a lot, but probably normal for that car. Good luck.....Ray

mine was the same but after i changed to poly mounts the car sat even and 2" higher the passenger side sat closer to the wheels

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured it may be factory tolerances but the differential is very close to center so this amount in the front had me concerned. I'd like to replace the body bushings but I'm trying to get the car lower not higher. The fender wells will have to be rolled sometime but the wheels I'm putting on will tuck the tires in by .47" so the minor rubbing I now have should go away until I drop the car some more.
Thanks again.

MLH

Yep, me too. Wish I would have noticed before I caged it. I measured at the rockers and at the rear of the car. Did not check the front though. :mad:

Powder said:
...I'm trying to get the car lower not higher. MLH

As you have probably learned then, it's all a mix of what is done. Will have to also investigate tire height/width if making any such change. I'm about convinced that coil-overs are the answer due to wide adjustability. Good luck buddy....Ray

still need to replace bushings for strength and stability. not only for the reason of who wants split crushed rusted bushings under there money pit

I like the idea of coil overs also, however with all the new parts installed when I converted to "B" body brakes, I'm going to run what I have for awhile. So many new parts and ideas in every direction you look with these cars. Thanks for all the comments.

MLH

Powder said:
So many new parts and ideas in every direction you look with these cars. MLH

Ya, it gets confusing, but thank goodness we have some choices.

BTW, I've always thought it would be frustrating up there (near Puget Sound) as a car hobbiest due to it's usually raining, foggy, rain, overcast, or raining.
My wife is from Everett & tried few times get me move there. I love the beauty of the coastal towns & islands, but if isn't raining it's dreary, & I think all the road spray from traffic & other conditions would probably save me money 'cuz I'd stop messing' with cars. No way could drive around with drag radials or such. Central Ca. not near as beautiful, but we drag all day/night.
If care to, lemmy know how it really is. G'luck with your project.

Back