You can type here any text you want

upgrade and current technology question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GullsGN

OLD HIPPIE
I am finally going to replace my stock radio. I know absolutely nothing about car audio. The last deck I installed was an 8 track. I have already replaced the factory speakers with the best I could find a couple of years ago, Boston Accoustics, I think. I will buy something in the 300 dollar range like an Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, etc. I was thinking of getting it from Crutchfield. Is that the best place or does anyone have any other opinions of places to buy a stereo with good prices and selection. I was thinking of getting one with HD radio. Does anyone have any experience with HD? I would like to put all of my CDs on something that I can run through the stereo. Is that what an IPod is or is that an MP3. What is WMA. If it is an IPod how does that work. Do I connect the IPod to my computer and pop a CD in to load it into the IPod? See, I told you I didn't know squat, don't laugh at me, now. I am over 50 and like my rock, classic rock to most of you. I would like to get a din and a half size (see I know a little) but I can't find many. I am so confused. Please help, especially with the IPod and MP3 stuff.

Steve

Alpines are nice, had a couple over the years, make sure to get one that has ipod capabilities. Talk to people at crutchfield they'll set you up right.

Get an iPod. If you've never listened to one, prepare to be amazed. I'm 46 and I love it. Worst case, it makes mundane tasks like mowing or housework fly by. Some car stereos have 3.5mm input jacks where you can plug the iPod right into the radio and play your songs. Makes hauling CDs around a thing of the past. As far as I know, iPods use mp3. When you buy an iPod, you get software for iTunes which lets you put mp3s that you download onto the iPod. It takes a few days to figure it all out but once you do, you'll be a pro.

As for car stereo selection, it is personal choice. If you'd like my opinion, drop me an email. I put a nice setup in my wife's car for about $500 and I think it does well. I used alot of discount online places and eBay to buy from. Regals have a deficiency in factory speaker placement but that can be handled if you want to be creative.

Back