Upgrade from a te45a turbo

434nova

Im looking to upgrade my turbo. What would be a nice upgrade to what I have? My combo is a street and strip and looking for a turbo to put me in the mid to high 9s. My combo is 30 over forged pistons, stock rods with arp bolts, stock crank, billet mains , te45a turbo, ported gn1 heads, 206 roller from webber, eastern front mount, 72lb injectors, 62 mm tb , 3200 art car converter and tranny. Right now the te45a turbo spools up almost instantly and I love it for the street but was thinking a 70mm turbo or 76. Was also thinking ball bearing for faster spool. Curent combo is 18lbs on pumpgas 93 and 25 on race fuel. Whats your thoughts on a turbo upgrade. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Personally i wouldn't like to try and run mid 9's with a stock crank. You may need a little more cam as well. As for the turbo recommendation i would contact bison on here.

You will need a different convertor for a mid 9 second run, then you will need a new motor and probably a new transmission after your one run with your new turbo.

You will need a different convertor for a mid 9 second run, then you will need a new motor and probably a new transmission after your one run with your new turbo.
Im looking to upgrade my turbo. What would be a nice upgrade to what I have? My combo is a street and strip and looking for a turbo to put me in the mid to high 9s. My combo is 30 over forged pistons, stock rods with arp bolts, stock crank, billet mains , te45a turbo, ported gn1 heads, 206 roller from webber, eastern front mount, 72lb injectors, 62 mm tb , 3200 art car converter and tranny. Right now the te45a turbo spools up almost instantly and I love it for the street but was thinking a 70mm turbo or 76. Was also thinking ball bearing for faster spool. Curent combo is 18lbs on pumpgas 93 and 25 on race fuel. Whats your thoughts on a turbo upgrade. Thanks

TE45A is capable of making 750hp.

You'll need a crank before a turbo I'd bet. I don't think you'll get too many 9's outta the stock crank. With billet caps, my buddy Kevin still flexed enough to wear the shit outta the bearings running mid-high 10's. He went forged crank and checked the bearings after the season...all is good.
As for the next turbo for your goal...I would grab the newer 6466.

You need a lot of supporting parts besides a turbo to get it done. You also need to determine what boost level you will want to be at to run the number. Id be doing the following and in this order:
Blueprinted shortblock with steel crank and rods
fuel system/engine management
anythign else from the trans back that needs updating to deal with the power
converter
turbo
intercooler
valvetrain

I would not go with a ball bearing cartridge unless money doesnt matter since you already stated that you were happy with your journal te45a. Plenty of journal turbos out there that will support more power and spool as fast or faster.

I'd be thinking a girdle for a 9 sec build too, don't you think Bison? Consistent 9's is about a descent 60' and that is the highest stress part of the run on the block and crank...the launch.

I went from the 45 to a 6466 and couldn't be happier. But like everyone has said you need a good foundation first