You can type here any text you want

Upper A Arms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

captndave737

Are these A arms in right or are they backwards?

I just replaced all the front end bushings, the lower ball joints and the spindles ( put in 2" drop). I replaced all the shims in the same location they were removed from.

I went for a quick test drive to see how much the alignment was off and the car is undrivable. It pulls LEFT and RIGHT!!! The left tire squeals driving straight. I knew the alignment would be off but it's so bad I'm thinking I may have put the upper A Arms on the wrong sides.

I've re checked and re torqued everything.View attachment 201004 View attachment 201005 View attachment 201006 View attachment 201005 View attachment 201004
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If all you did was change the bushings and ball joints you'd be fine, but you added drop spindles to the mix and now all the measurements will be way out. If you drive it much more you're going to need tires ASAP! Either put the car on a trailer to get it to an alignment shop or you could try using a tape measure to check you toe. Even if you get the toe close it will still need alignment work but you might be able to drive it there instead of tow it.;)

The car isn't going anywhere except to the alignment shop about 2 miles away. I knew it would be off but yikes! I just wanted to make sure i didn't get the left and right upper A Arms reversed before i brought it to the shop.

At least get the toe closer. If you don't you'll eat the tires off in just 2 miles.

I'll do the toe. I think the camber on the left side is way positive so i may add some shims before i go as well.

Charlie,

He just wants to know if the A-arms are in the right place or not! Don't you have a car there with stock arms on it that you can visually inspect to see if his are on the wrong sides? I would have done it for him by now but I don't have a car here with stock arms on it and I looked through all my pictures and couldn't find any good ones and it's been so long since I have had stock arms on I forgot what they are supposed to look like....

The arms are right but his description was of the car having to much toe and other alignment issues Scott. That's why I answered him the way I did.;) Once the springs are compressed the uppers will go back to the correct location but when the suspension is unloaded the upper arms move forward because of the what the lowers and uppers are mounted to the frame.:)

The arms are right but his description was of the car having to much toe and other alignment issues Scott. That's why I answered him the way I did.;) Once the springs are compressed the uppers will go back to the correct location but when the suspension is unloaded the upper arms move forward because of the what the lowers and uppers are mounted to the frame.:)
I am clearly aware of all that Charlie, He simply asked several times in his posts "Are these A arms in right or are they backwards?" which was his Main concern here so that is what I was trying to get an answer for... Dave they seem like they look right to me, If I run across any pictures and see anything different I will let you know..

Charlie is simply trying to help out the op and save him the price of a tow to the mechanics.

Thanks guys. My main concern was that i had switched them. I was pretty sure I hadn't but things are so far off I just wanted to make sure.

I'll get the toe and the camber close before i take it for an alignment next week.

Back