You can type here any text you want

Upper Control Arm Bolt Help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

my1stgn

Quick question. Im replacing lower and upper control arms. Im replacing the bolts. I had the lower bolts M12X1.75X90 Class 10.9 Handy but when I when to buy the bolts for the upper control arm, all I could find is Class 8.8 bolts. No one around (Autozone, Lowes, Napa, Kragen, etc) has Class 10.9 bolts. So can I use Class 8.8 bolts or should I order some Class 10.9 bolts for the upper control arms? Dont want to break anything but I doubt using Class 8.8 bolts is that much of a difference? Help!

Don't know the answer to your question but if you are talking about the rear cotrol arm bolts H & R parts and Stuff has a nice kit with all the correct bolts.

Do not use 8.8 bolts.They are like grade five bolts.I bought mine right from the dealer for the front arms and the rears came with the umi control arms.Get the 10.9 bolts. they are a little stronger than grade 8 bolts

Well thanks for responce, I went ahead and used the Class 8.8 bolts. I think next weekend I will hit up Abada and get some stronger bolts. I have the correct size (length, thread pitch and diameter) but they are 1 grade lower than the 10.9 (I believe they are a little weaker than the Grade 8 bolt) but I drove it and it seemed fine. We shall see but thanks for posting!

Do not use 8.8 bolts.They are like grade five bolts.I bought mine right from the dealer for the front arms and the rears came with the umi control arms.Get the 10.9 bolts. they are a little stronger than grade 8 bolts

My bad, you posted while I was typing. But yeah I drove it so far and it feels fine but I will not drive it again till next weekend and I will upgrade to the Class 10.9. Did you have any problems with the 8.8 or just didnt risk it? I have 8.8 bolts on the sway bars, should I upgrade those too? Thanks!

I wouldn't chance a 8.8 or grade 5 bolt on suspension... or anything for that matter.

fwiw you can buy the bolts in a kit if you cant find them from trz and wolfe racecraft.. think they get $15-20 shipped for all of them with locknuts and washers.

My bad, you posted while I was typing. But yeah I drove it so far and it feels fine but I will not drive it again till next weekend and I will upgrade to the Class 10.9. Did you have any problems with the 8.8 or just didnt risk it? I have 8.8 bolts on the sway bars, should I upgrade those too? Thanks!

I tried them on some parts years back. I broke them with 3/8 rachet:eek:
They should be fine if as long as you dont beat the crap out of them.

Back