Urethane Bumper fill grey and cloudy

TURBO2

My 1986 GN is in pretty good shape paint wise except for the urethane fill behind the front bumper and just ahead of the rear bumper. All 4 of these are grey and cloudy looking. I have waxed them and made them shiny only to have them grey and cloudy by the next day. I have also tried cleaning and removing all wax, grease, dirt, etc. and re-waxing but still by the next day it is back to looking terrible. What would cause this?

All the fillers on my original 87 GN are the same. Remember, you're dealing with 80s material and technology. At this point there is nothing you can do, other than wait for them to begin to crumble and fall apart. Unless you're trying to keep the car all original, it's time to put fillers on your things to do list.

I recently replaced all the fillers on my 87 Limited with Goodmark and couldn't be happier. They use a modern tpo compound and look identical to the originals. The shop I used commented on the ease of prep, paint, and install.
c20e5ec3df5e782cbc3853cfdbbbc258.jpg

My 1986 GN is in pretty good shape paint wise except for the urethane fill behind the front bumper and just ahead of the rear bumper. All 4 of these are grey and cloudy looking. I have waxed them and made them shiny only to have them grey and cloudy by the next day. I have also tried cleaning and removing all wax, grease, dirt, etc. and re-waxing but still by the next day it is back to looking terrible. What would cause this?
You can’t stop it. It’s over for them. Call the Fool.

Mine literally disintegrated in front of my eyes and crumbled off the car. Car looked like hell without the fillers. New fiberglass ones look and fit better than originals and were not expensive. I spray bombed and clear coated them and the match was perfect. Best 125 buck upgrade I ever did.

It's really weird that I can get them to look like the rest of the car, all black and shiny, and then have them change back.

It's really weird that I can get them to look like the rest of the car, all black and shiny, and then have them change back.

The 1980's originals have oxidized causing the milky effect. The current pieces will just keep doing it, no matter what you do, short of removing them a having them repaired and refinished. That option just is not worth the time, money and effort, given all the aftermarket options available out there today .

Mike's (SpoolFool) are the best and come already gel coated the correct color and the rear piece is a very nice one piece part (no seam by the gas filler). Goodmark is a nice product if you're looking to save some money. Remember, you're on the hook for painting the Goodmark units and even though gsnnut claims his are "perfect", will you end up with the same results if you rattle can them yourself? Another cost consideration to take into account.:oops:

All things to consider in your decision making process. Good luck no matter what direction you choose to go.

Last edited: