You can type here any text you want

Us this the ESC?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
is this the ESC or is it the other?

Attachments

• 19708986603_ORIG.jpg
    19708986603_ORIG.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 19708986652_ORIG.jpg
    19708986652_ORIG.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 171
First pic is the MAP sensor and the second is the bulkhead where the wiring goes into the passenger compartment.

The ESC is in the first pic next to the MAP to the left. That flat piece with the connector on it.

Wait how did this thread go from where is the ESC, to doing a compression test? What exactly is your issue with the car and why do you think that ESC module is bad? The ESC's very rarely ever go bad for starters.

All the ESC does is listen to the knock sensor for detonation sounds it throws it. Then the ESC's job is to take the sounds from the knock sensor it hears and figure out if it's knock or some other sounds. If the ESC thinks it hears knock it then sends the signal to the ECM and the ECM's response to the ESC is to pull timing and light up your little knock gage. Almost like an "amp" for the knock sensor.

They are long gone discontinued from GM. When I rebuild my 86 just being the anal nut I am I replaced each and every sensor all over the car with NOS from GM and I actually found one of the last NOS ESC's sitting on the shelf at a dealer in Wyoming. I'm pretty sure NAPPA or any auto parts house would sell a aftermarket one. Or if you get really stuck and think and or know the ESC is your problem, I have a perfectly good original GM one off my 80K mile 86 GN I would sell to you. But I highly doubt that is the problem your chasing. Hope this helps...

Wait how did this thread go from where is the ESC, to doing a compression test? What exactly is your issue with the car and why do you think that ESC module is bad? The ESC's very rarely ever go bad for starters.

All the ESC does is listen to the knock sensor for detonation sounds it throws it. Then the ESC's job is to take the sounds from the knock sensor it hears and figure out if it's knock or some other sounds. If the ESC thinks it hears knock it then sends the signal to the ECM and the ECM's response to the ESC is to pull timing and light up your little knock gage. Almost like an "amp" for the knock sensor.

They are long gone discontinued from GM. When I rebuild my 86 just being the anal nut I am I replaced each and every sensor all over the car with NOS from GM and I actually found one of the last NOS ESC's sitting on the shelf at a dealer in Wyoming. I'm pretty sure NAPPA or any auto parts house would sell a aftermarket one. Or if you get really stuck and think and or know the ESC is your problem, I have a perfectly good original GM one off my 80K mile 86 GN I would sell to you. But I highly doubt that is the problem your chasing. Hope this helps...

he has some big issues on the car and we all want to find out what up with it.

is there a way to see if it still works?

Have someone bring the engine to about 2000 rpm's in park, then tap on the intake manifold with a hammer 4 or 5 times fairly quickly. You'll here the rpm's drop.

See if you can find a monitor 4000E on evilbay kid. Should cost you under $200 for one if you do some searching and are patient.:biggrin:

Or look for a OTC Monitor 3, 4 or 85. They don't use cartridges, but will scan a 1983 enigine. You should be able to fidn one for about $30.

Have someone bring the engine to about 2000 rpm's in park, then tap on the intake manifold with a hammer 4 or 5 times fairly quickly. You'll here the rpm's drop.

where on the manifold? I could try that now:biggrin:

near the knock sensor. You may need a timing light to see the changes. I doubt this is your problem though. If you get a day (or weekend would be better) where you don't need your car, you should pull the plugs out and post pics of them and do a compression check and post those numbers. That would be a good start to REALLY figure out what is going on. We can guess all we want on the board, but its not going to help you at all. If your bottom end isn't any good, all the new parts on a bad motor is like pissin in the wind.

near the knock sensor. You may need a timing light to see the changes. I doubt this is your problem though. If you get a day (or weekend would be better) where you don't need your car, you should pull the plugs out and post pics of them and do a compression check and post those numbers. That would be a good start to REALLY figure out what is going on. We can guess all we want on the board, but its not going to help you at all. If your bottom end isn't any good, all the new parts on a bad motor is like pissin in the wind.

i have been saying that to him forever. he has the compression tester. this is the only way we can find out whats wrong or we are just shooting in the dark.

Back