You can type here any text you want

Use O'ring irons or no?!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87chrisss

BLUBYU
recently acquired a 50k mile stock block ported polished o'ringed heads with arp bolts, but a blown headgasket motor still runs with clean oil as long as its not boosting once in boost will mix water/oil.. so started taking motor apart yesterday im debating whether or not to use some spare heads i have that are not o'ringed or use the same o'ringed heads with new gaskets, lastly i will be running E85 im planning to run 23# + of boost..dont have experience with o'ringed heads heard alot about them some good and some bad stories these are 8445 heads

Depends on if the heads are flat or warped..

Also, are we talking the heads with the o-ring installed in them, or heads cut for o-ring gaskets?
I would reuse the o-ring heads if they are not warped..
I would not use heads cut for o-ring gaskets..

i believe these heads were cut for o ring gaskets, i havent taken it apart to tell the difference but i assume the gentleman bought the used short block with the stock heads then the heads were sent out to be ported and polished and then cut for o ring HG not really sure i guess i'll find out later or tomorrow when motor comes out..i have spare heads non o'ringed so might just port them myself and slap them on... anyone got a porting template that i can print? need heads to flow

You can use heads that have been cut for o-rings. We have never seen a problem, and we have done this a few times. :)

Nick would you be + on using the o ringed heads you said you have done them a few times but would you push on using them or its tomato tamato..preference? i have both heads laying here dont mind trying them but need some advice on HG to use..i dont know who cut them and how deep they are? Some guys say they leak water someguys say they will seal the head even if heads lift ive herd good and bad.. i spoke to gabby rojas a couple weeks ago and he uses them never had a problem... i think he told me he uses fel pro's but didnt give me a part #

........ i think he told me he uses fel pro's but didnt give me a part #

The head gasket uses the fire ring to seal the combustion chamber. If the ring is penetrated, the gasket is done.

Since the o-ring groove is behind the sealing ring, it does not affect performance of the head gasket.

The Felpro head gasket 9441 PT is similar to the factory gasket, and it works as good as any.

With only 4 head bolts per cylinder on a stock block, excessive cylinder pressure due to detonation, pre-ignition or other malfunction will at least deform the head/block and "blow" any type head gasket, or do worse damage.

have to be careful with the 9441 and cut heads as the 9441 it isnt a round gasket opening , its ovaled out at each side near top and that can cause the oring receiver to not be on the fire ring but rather just over the edge on the combustion side what you have then is a channel for cylinder pressure to find its way to the other side of the firing ring and into the coolant port

ive run cometics on cut heads and never had an issue but you really need to look at where the groove is and where the fire ring will be

thanks pace i will look into the cometic i need a part # when u get a chance to have some direction...also my buddy told me the exact same thing... but the engine oil looks clean and runs rough with the typical tisking on sound its driver side..... oil will stay clean as long as it doesnt see any boost is what i was told.. why only in boost will it leak water into the CC? other HG failure will smoke bad and have the creamy oil all the time and overheat this oil is clean i even drove the car for about 5 minutes no overheating no blow bye the car just seemed to be smoking a bit bluish burning some oil not heavy just a bit, and just tisk tisk tisk i decided to turn the motor off and disassemble to prevent hydrolcking the motor or further damage

Back